• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
I've had a look at some former managers and how they fared in their first ten games. I took it back to Booby Moore's spell.

Not including Brown's tenure, the worst start over 4 games is actually Colin Murphy with 4 straight losses. Whelan and Thompson started with 2 losses each as well.

Quite a few managers managed 2 consecutive wins in their first ten games: Tilson, Newman (twice!), Little, Martin, Webb (in 2 spells), Murphy, Fry, Thompson, and Clark

Consecutive losses - well, lots of managers did this. Sturrock had 3 losses in a row and 2 in a row. Wignall managed 3 and 4 losses in a row. Newman managed to get 2 lots of 2 losses, as did Little, and Martin, and Whelan. Murphy managed 4 consecutive losses at the start of his reign. Fry only lost 2 consecutive games, as did Taylor and Thompson and Webb (only in one spell). Bate of course managed 6 consecutive losses. m

The best start was by Webb in his first spell and Fry with 17 points. Clark and Newman managed 15. Webb in both his other spells and Thompson managed 14 points, while behind on 13 are Tilson, Taylor and Bobby Moore.

The worst start was by Bate with 5 points. But Wignall had only 9, whilst Whelan and Murphy only managed 10, whilst Little, Martin and Sturrock only managed 11.

So, it seems it's a mixed bag. Clearly the better managers had a better start. It is also worth pointing out that Bate started the season with his own players, and Clark had to use Bate's players. The same with other managerial changes.

The only managers to start with a win were Wignall, Webb, Fry and Clark.

Webb also won his second game in each of his three spells.

Fry and Webb had the best start with 2 consecutive wins each. In fact, Fry was unbeaten for his first 4 games, making his spell the best first ten games.

What's the longest anyone took to register their first win?

It took Bate 4 games and Murphy 5 games. Anyone worse than that?

It also took Tilson, Martin and Whelan 4 games to record their first win. Tilson was D-D-L-W; Martin was D-D-L-W; Whelan was L-L-D-W

I've had a look at some former managers and how they fared in their first ten games. I took it back to Booby Moore's spell.

Not including Brown's tenure, the worst start over 4 games is actually Colin Murphy with 4 straight losses. Whelan and Thompson started with 2 losses each as well.

Quite a few managers managed 2 consecutive wins in their first ten games: Tilson, Newman (twice!), Little, Martin, Webb (in 2 spells), Murphy, Fry, Thompson, and Clark

Consecutive losses - well, lots of managers did this. Sturrock had 3 losses in a row and 2 in a row. Wignall managed 3 and 4 losses in a row. Newman managed to get 2 lots of 2 losses, as did Little, and Martin, and Whelan. Murphy managed 4 consecutive losses at the start of his reign. Fry only lost 2 consecutive games, as did Taylor and Thompson and Webb (only in one spell). Bate of course managed 6 consecutive losses. m

The best start was by Webb in his first spell and Fry with 17 points. Clark and Newman managed 15. Webb in both his other spells and Thompson managed 14 points, while behind on 13 are Tilson, Taylor and Bobby Moore.

The worst start was by Bate with 5 points. But Wignall had only 9, whilst Whelan and Murphy only managed 10, whilst Little, Martin and Sturrock only managed 11.

So, it seems it's a mixed bag. Clearly the better managers had a better start. It is also worth pointing out that Bate started the season with his own players, and Clark had to use Bate's players. The same with other managerial changes.

Fry and Webb had the best start with 2 consecutive wins each. In fact, Fry was unbeaten for his first 4 games, making his spell the best first ten games.

Have you really got a job???

Is it bad that I don't see us winning any more games this season?

It also took Tilson, Martin and Whelan 4 games to record their first win. Tilson was D-D-L-W; Martin was D-D-L-W; Whelan was L-L-D-W

Tilson won two of his first three games. We beat Rochdale 4-0 and Lincoln 3-0 IIRC. One of them was the FA Cup.

Going back into the 50's there was a manager who didn't win a game until number 10... can't remember his name... but if Brown equals that record then it will be 3rd game next season before we get 3 points.

I'm not quite sure whether you can make realistic comparisons with the case of Phil Brown? Don't most new managers generally arrive earlier in the season, rather than at the fag end? He's started with two draws and two defeats, whereas the rest of games are meaninless and will, presumably, just be used for experimentation.

Someone was using Tilson in another debate the other day saying how he came in and instantly got results out of a different managers teams. Looks like he didnt then...

Tilson won two of his first three games. We beat Rochdale 4-0 and Lincoln 3-0 IIRC. One of them was the FA Cup.

I started from his official start not his caretaker start.

Someone was using Tilson in another debate the other day saying how he came in and instantly got results out of a different managers teams. Looks like he didnt then...

Isn't it interesting how even such a simple and apparently objective statistic as "First Ten Games" is open to dispute?

:dim:

I'm not quite sure whether you can make realistic comparisons with the case of Phil Brown? Don't most new managers generally arrive earlier in the season, rather than at the fag end? He's started with two draws and two defeats, whereas the rest of games are meaninless and will, presumably, just be used for experimentation.

That's why I started with ten. Some managers yes started at the start of the season with their own players. Some came in at the end of the season. Look at Fry- had to use Murphy's team and had the best ten games of the lot. Or Thompson who came in and galvanised a struggling team.

Just thought I'd update this. In his first 8 games (including the final), Brown has got 1 win and 3 draws.

To be fair, that's better than Wignall who managed 2 wins and 6 losses.

It is exactly the same as Whelan.

Of course, it's better than Bate who managed one win, and two draws.

I think it's fair to point out that some of the managers I picked started at the start of the season with their own squad.

But the ones who came in at the end include Thompson, Clark, Newman, Little, Webb and Fry.

Just thought I'd update this. In his first 8 games (including the final), Brown has got 1 win and 3 draws.

To be fair, that's better than Wignall who managed 2 wins and 6 losses.

It is exactly the same as Whelan.

Of course, it's better than Bate who managed one win, and two draws.

I think it's fair to point out that some of the managers I picked started at the start of the season with their own squad.

But the ones who came in at the end include Thompson, Clark, Newman, Little, Webb and Fry.

Isnt that the same ?

Back