• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fit Jay vs Fit M. Bentley!

Winkle

Manager
Not because M.Bently as left the club but IMHO a fit Jay Smith is a substancely better player than M.Bently! Two different players I no, but if they was playing opposite eachover Im sure you would see a big difference in there play, Jay always looks very comfortable on the ball, great awareness of players around him, and never seems to hurried into a dodgy pass! M.Bently, not the best tackler I have ever seen but a 100% percenter, always trys to win the ball, not afraid to do the work other midfeilders dont want to do(chasing back) and can score a few goals as well....... But the difference for me is Jay Smith is a player you start with in your first eleven , where M.Bently is a victim of his own success a player who you would bring on when your one nil up and theres ten minutes to go! I would have liked him to stay but I do think Div1/2 is his level and I think deep down he new it!

Don't really agree. I think a lot of people are over estimating how good Jay is. When we saw the best of him, he was playing in League 2. Last year he hardly got a look in and now you expect him to walk the CCC? Sorry, its not going to happen. I admire Jay but he isn't as good as some people are making him out to be. I'm not suggesting that he is or isnt better than Benno but I think you need to lower your expectation.
rock.gif

When Jays fit, he is quality, the question is will he ever be able to maintain that level of fitness for an entire season? Benno was a diffferent kinda of player, he always gave 110% but lack a little in hes inventiveness which is what is going to be required in the Championship.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Winkle @ May 24 2006,11:00)]Not because M.Bently as left the club but IMHO a fit Jay Smith is a substancely better player than M.Bently! Two different players I no, but if they was playing opposite eachover Im sure you would see a big difference in there play, Jay always looks very comfortable on the ball, great awareness of players around him, and never seems to hurried into a dodgy pass! M.Bently, not the best tackler I have ever seen but a 100% percenter, always trys to win the ball, not afraid to do the work other midfeilders dont want to do(chasing back) and can score a few goals as well....... But the difference for me is Jay Smith is a player you start with in your first eleven , where M.Bently is a victim of his own success a player who you would bring on when your one nil up and theres ten minutes to go! I would have liked him to stay but I do think Div1/2 is his level and I think deep down he new it!
Yep couldn't agree more!

I'm pleased Jay is staying.

Jay better on the floor but Bentley scores goals and good in the air, think we'll miss that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wickford Blue @ May 24 2006,11:30)]Jay better on the floor but Bentley scores goals and good in the air, think we'll miss that.
But we'll have Bradbury, JCR and any future signings Tilly & Brush have lined up. Losing Benno is no big deal in my book, he always come across a bit of a clumsy player. Good luck to him at the Gills, but it's no loss.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperman @ May 24 2006,11:11)]Don't really agree. I think a lot of people are over estimating how good Jay is. When we saw the best of him, he was playing in League 2. Last year he hardly got a look in and now you expect him to walk the CCC? Sorry, its not going to happen. I admire Jay but he isn't as good as some people are making him out to be. I'm not suggesting that he is or isnt better than Benno but I think you need to lower your expectation.
rock.gif
I dont expect Jay to even be in the starting eleven ( if he stays) but, A fit J.Smith and I say Fit, Will fair a lot better in the championship than M.Bently! I dont think many players would have unhinged the Maher/Gutteridge partnership last season, all the papers stats reinforced that fact! I.M.O when he went on loan to Oxford ,they where allready down so he was on a hiding to nothing but Honestly how many of us thought that we would offer him a contract for next season!!! The fact is that it is looking as if we are, and Tilly and brush still see something in him, I for one am glad!

Find it very hard to call...Smithy just wins in my book.

Jay oozes quality on the ball has a great shot on him and his range of passing is second too none. Personally I think he can be better than Gutts and Maher.

Downsides are his fitness and also his size.

Benno I would class as more of a taught rather than natural footballer.However his work rate and his fighting qualities made high highly important to us. He was a great attacking foil to Mahers holding role and I think it a shame he went.

Downsides are his touch really......

DtS

Oo.gif

I'd have gone for Benno over Smith but I do like Smith and think his is a quality player. Benno would just give you a bit more steel in the midfield and was a box to box midfielder.

I think if they played against each other Benno would probably have clattered Smith and that would have been that. But they are a different type of player and I would have liked to have seen both of them stay and do well next season.

The Champs might suit Jay better than League 1 or the hoof ball of most League 2 sides.

To be fair, I never remember Smith as being one to shirk a challenge. I don't think he would get clattered out of the game as easily as some people are making out.

When I saw him play last against Yeovil, he looked, probably, the classiest player on the pitch. At the same time, JCR looked pretty special. Wonder if they'll both be able to perform to this level next year cos if they can, it will basicallly be like two new signings.

tbh i have trouble deciding between the two as they are very different players! the last time we really saw jay was in league 2 - he looked good and i hope he can improve into a quality championship player. I feel that benno is a player for the lower leagues- always gives 110% and never shirked from a challenge however i think jay is better suited to the championship where he wil have more time on the ball and his distribution will be a crucial factor

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperman @ May 24 2006,11:11)]Don't really agree. I think a lot of people are over estimating how good Jay is. When we saw the best of him, he was playing in League 2. Last year he hardly got a look in and now you expect him to walk the CCC? Sorry, its not going to happen. I admire Jay but he isn't as good as some people are making him out to be. I'm not suggesting that he is or isnt better than Benno but I think you need to lower your expectation.
rock.gif
I fully agree with that, people have been saying how you get more time on the ball in the championship and that might suit jays play, but we will have to wait and see about that.

Back