• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I know I'm in the minority but I hate Friday night games as I can't get to them or mid week games because of work commitments and not living locally means I will miss the best part of the season. This is the reason why I don't get a season ticket. I think it is unfair on away supporters also who may want to watch games but can't travel for night games. Whatever happened to Saturday matches? It seems as though they are going out of fashion. I have already lost interest in next season now that I know I won't be able to see at least a third of the home games. I really don't get it at all. It's not as if we get really big crowds on a Friday game to justify it. What do the away team get out of it. Long journey home in the middle of the night? Fewer away fans to support them? Rant over from disillusioned fan.:Red card:

I love a Friday night game myself.Reminds me of when I first started going to Roots hall in the late 1980s

Strikes me they deliberately target the games where the away team will bring absolutely no one, Friday or Saturday. Scunny, Mansfield, Newport, Fleetwood, Rochdale (this one also avoids the infamous last Saturday before Christmas situation where everyone is hunting for last-minute gifts), not exactly going to make a big difference whether it's Friday or Saturday.

Mind you Bristol Rovers normally bring a few down.

As ever though, whether you love them or hate them depends on your circumstances. For me it's a bit of a dash down from work but I do enjoy a good Friday night game under the lights.

I'm all for a handful of night games but we need to have a bit more common sense about when they are.

Surely it would make more sense to try and have more night games during the summer when it's warm and then the day games during winter when the pitch is less likely to be frozen and the fairweather fan more likely to turn up, yet the 5 home games we play during the cricket season are all Saturday afternoon whilst at the end of January when it'll be brass monkeys we end up play Dagenham on a Tuesday night in January followed by Newport on the Friday.

After Morecambe we have 2 Saturday fixtures at home in nearly 4 months.

People are going to find alternatives to football on a Saturday and when they do, the chances are they won't be back to watch a team of northern journeyman and Col Ewe rejects in midtable obscurity/fighting a relegation battle.

Pleased with the Rochdale home game being switched as I flew off for The Ashes on the Saturday! :smile:

All these Friday night games means that I will be able to watch more non league games on the following day.:smile:

I'm all for a handful of night games but we need to have a bit more common sense about when they are.

Surely it would make more sense to try and have more night games during the summer when it's warm and then the day games during winter when the pitch is less likely to be frozen and the fairweather fan more likely to turn up, yet the 5 home games we play during the cricket season are all Saturday afternoon whilst at the end of January when it'll be brass monkeys we end up play Dagenham on a Tuesday night in January followed by Newport on the Friday.

After Morecambe we have 2 Saturday fixtures at home in nearly 4 months.

People are going to find alternatives to football on a Saturday and when they do, the chances are they won't be back to watch a team of northern journeyman and Col Ewe rejects in midtable obscurity/fighting a relegation battle.

If/when some games get postponed because of a frozen pitch, they will be moved to a Tuesday night. Add in any success we may or may not have in the Crapital 1 and JPT cups, which will lead to more mid week matches. If we also have a game on the Friday then recovery periods become an issue.

If you play Tues.....Sat.....Tues your rest periods are approx 3 days 17 hours and 3 days 2 hours.
If you play Tues.....Fri......Tues your rest periods are approx 2 days 21 hours and 3 days 21 hours.

The problem is that fitness tests will have to be taken as late as possible, but for a Tuesday/Friday you'll really only have 2 days to recover before a decision needs to be made.

People who want Friday night football should be aware that they are compromising our chances because we're more likely to have injuries that may not be bad but may need a player to miss out because the Friday game is just too soon. This may lead to an unsettled team (as per last season) because the rest periods aren't long enough.

Personally I don't mind Friday night matches because I actually like being able to spend my weekends with my family. I would rather we didn't play them because I think it hinders us.

I'm also yet to be convinced that there is any benefit to playing on a Friday night. My personal opinion is that the atmosphere is no different, and I'm not convinced there is any financial reason for it either.

I'm also yet to be convinced that there is any benefit to playing on a Friday night. My personal opinion is that the atmosphere is no different, and I'm not convinced there is any financial reason for it either.

Especially as the electricity bill will be higher, due to the floodlights being on before and throughout the whole game?

Especially as the electricity bill will be higher, due to the floodlights being on before and throughout the whole game?

You would probably be surprised how little the floodlights cost to run. Negligible in the overall costs of staging a game.

If/when some games get postponed because of a frozen pitch, they will be moved to a Tuesday night. Add in any success we may or may not have in the Crapital 1 and JPT cups, which will lead to more mid week matches. If we also have a game on the Friday then recovery periods become an issue.

If you play Tues.....Sat.....Tues your rest periods are approx 3 days 17 hours and 3 days 2 hours.
If you play Tues.....Fri......Tues your rest periods are approx 2 days 21 hours and 3 days 21 hours.

The problem is that fitness tests will have to be taken as late as possible, but for a Tuesday/Friday you'll really only have 2 days to recover before a decision needs to be made.

People who want Friday night football should be aware that they are compromising our chances because we're more likely to have injuries that may not be bad but may need a player to miss out because the Friday game is just too soon. This may lead to an unsettled team (as per last season) because the rest periods aren't long enough.

Personally I don't mind Friday night matches because I actually like being able to spend my weekends with my family. I would rather we didn't play them because I think it hinders us.

Our points per game for Friday night matches in recent history far exceeds that for Saturday games.

That doesn't sound like compromising our chances to me.

I think your injury argument is tenuous at best. A player injured on Friday has an extra day for treatment before the following Tuesday and may therefore make a game he'd have missed if injured on a Saturday. It's swings and roundabouts. All that seems like a spurious argument to support your preferences.

You would probably be surprised how little the floodlights cost to run. Negligible in the overall costs of staging a game.

You'd like to think they'd get a good deal from the sponsors as well!

Although a knock picked up during a Fri game has a better chance of being ok for Tuesday than if it were picked up on the Saturday afternoon.

Back