• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Flying Experiences

Technician

OK then, the chit-chat forum seems a little quiet at the moment... so let's hear of your experiences when travelling by air.

Basically, what were your best &/or worst experiences of... air-travel, aircraft (fobias?), airports, aircrews, landings or take-offs etc. FWIW, I have travelled to various parts of the UK, Europe and once to Africa and have very mixed emotions about flying [in an aircraft!
rock.gif
].

I have never had a really bad experience on a flight, but can describe some "hairy moments!", such as coming in to land at Newcastle in a cross-wind, heavy turbulance and rain, which resulted in a hard landing... I got soaked walking from the plane to the terminal!.

In contrast, one of my best experiences of air travel has got to be on a flight to Palma, Majorca some years back on Air Europe. It was a scheduled flight and there were only about 30 people on board including the crew!. My girlfriend & I, had the last four rows of seats to ourselves... w'hay!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Air Europe went bust shortly after.
sad.gif

Flying over to visit my brother's always a painful experience.

Just the thought of spending a full two weeks with the wierdo is pure agony!

tounge.gif

I'd have to say worst experience would be returning to Prestwick from the Bournemouth away game Easter 03 thanks to a marvellous well-known low cost Irish airline (for legal reasons lets say Shamrock Air).

The flight was fine until 10 mins before we were due to land when the plane decidedly lurged from side to side for a couple of minutes. The flight attendants didn't seem too bothered though & finished their pre-landing safety checks & took their seats for landing. I was "fortunate" enough to be in the window seat & promptly saw the ground rushing towards us at far too fast a rate. The lurching then started again until we were about 5m off crashing into the sea (for those who don't know Prestwick it's runways are right on the Atlantic coast). Then, the plane's engines screeched and the plane pulled up violently. The girl next to my other half was audibly praying at this point. Approx 2 minutes later, a shaken pilot's voice cane over the PA & said "Apologies for that incident, we were denied landing clearance at the last moment."

Out of interest, we made a few enquiries to someone we know who works at "Shamrock Air" & it turns out that they have a policy of "Supervised Training" whereby newly qualified pilots are eased into commercial flights. We were told that our "pilot" had frozen whilst coming into land & his trainer had to take evasive action to prevent a rather nasty accident!

Suffice to say neither me nor my wife have ever contemplated flying with them ever again!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Oct. 08 2004,11:24)]I'd have to say worst experience would be returning to Prestwick from the Bournemouth away game Easter 03 thanks to a marvellous well-known low cost Irish airline (for legal reasons lets say Shamrock Air).

The flight was fine until 10 mins before we were due to land when the plane decidedly lurged from side to side for a couple of minutes.  The flight attendants didn't seem too bothered though & finished their pre-landing safety checks & took their seats for landing.  I was "fortunate" enough to be in the window seat & promptly saw the ground rushing towards us at far too fast a rate.   The lurching then started again until we were about 5m off crashing into the sea (for those who don't know Prestwick it's runways are right on the Atlantic coast).  Then, the plane's engines screeched and the plane pulled up violently.  The girl next to my other half was audibly praying at this point.  Approx 2 minutes later, a shaken pilot's voice cane over the PA & said "Apologies for that incident, we were denied landing clearance at the last moment."

Out of interest, we made a few enquiries to someone we know who works at "Shamrock Air" & it turns out that they have a policy of "Supervised Training" whereby newly qualified pilots are eased into commercial flights.  We were told that our "pilot" had frozen whilst coming into land & his trainer had to take evasive action to prevent a rather nasty accident!

Suffice to say neither me nor my wife have ever contemplated flying with them ever again!
f**k that for a laugh!

wow.gif

I've never been afraid of flying, but I was truly shaken up on my first visit to Mumbai. On this occasion, I had flown to India on a recce for locations on my feature film. We had flown in, what I could only assume, was a B.A. 747 desperately in need of a bit of TLC.

Anyway, as we approached our detination, the plane hit some rather extreme turbulence. Things were falling all over the place. Overhead compartments were popping open... and (this is the worst thing)... even the flight attendants were scurrying , pale faced, to the safety of their seats and buckling up.

At one point, we lost so much altitude in such a short space of time, my stomach was in my throat!

When we came out of this, I was very relieved, but such joy was short lived when we came in to land.

The flight crew were obviously having problems because the plane was approaching the runway very tentatively, going up and down like a yo-yo, and the engines were roaring like I've never hear 'em roar before.

Finally, we touched down with a bang, but the plane climbed, banked to my right... and as I looked out, the tip of the wing was almost touching the runway.

I thought that that was it!

Luckily, the plane corrected itself in time... but the cabin was deathly quiet as we made our way to the 'parking bay'.

I found out later that we experienced something called 'wind lift' or 'uplift' (something like that) where heavy wind gets under one wing and tilts the plane the other way.

Scary!

sad.gif

I don't think i wanna fly ever again now !

sad.gif

P.S Im not the best flyer in the world but i was on a flight to Orlando a few years back and there was some nasty Terbilance over the Atlantic and i started shaking and then vomited alot. But had a good flight to Portugal a few yrs back after that and did my fear 'alot of good'. Bloody Planes !

When I woke up after my overnight business class flight from New York to London last week I was horrified to discover my bacon roll was only luke warm.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 08 2004,10:54)]I've never been afraid of flying, but I was truly shaken up on my first visit to Mumbai. On this occasion, I had flown to India on a recce for locations on my feature film. We had flown in, what I could only assume, was a B.A. 747 desperately in need of a bit of TLC.

Anyway, as we approached our detination, the plane hit some rather extreme turbulence. Things were falling all over the place. Overhead compartments were popping open... and (this is the worst thing)... even the flight attendants were scurrying , pale faced, to the safety of their seats and buckling up.

At one point, we lost so much altitude in such a short space of time, my stomach was in my throat!

When we came out of this, I was very relieved, but such joy was short lived when we came in to land.

The flight crew were obviously having problems because the plane was approaching the runway very tentatively, going up and down like a yo-yo, and the engines were roaring like I've never hear 'em roar before.

Finally, we touched down with a bang, but the plane climbed, banked to my right... and as I looked out, the tip of the wing was almost touching the runway.

I thought that that was it!

Luckily, the plane corrected itself in time... but the cabin was deathly quiet as we made our way to the 'parking bay'.

I found out later that we experienced something called 'wind lift' or 'uplift' (something like that) where heavy wind gets under one wing and tilts the plane the other way.

Scary!

sad.gif
Wind-Shear! is typically a gusting cross-wind and can cause air incidents, although these are rare... in it's deadliest form though, it is known as a microburst, which creates downward forces on an aircraft, especially in a Storm (opposite of turbulance in effect!) and has been known to "down!" even a B747.

India would be a typical climate for such events, but in most cases nowadays the pilot would have an alternate destination to fly to in extreme weather, for the comfort of everyone aboard!.

The experience you had on landing may have been attributed to the aircraft being near to its "stall speed!" (as if all the other conditions weren't bad enough!) which would be about 110-130 knots depending on landing weight!

Mark, I would say you were very lucky mate...

Plus, the man upstairs didn't want you... yet! & neither does your brother by the sound of it
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

I might be going to Uganda next year for a couple of weeks. Ive never been on a plane before and i'm quite worried now lol
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Oct. 08 2004,12:20)]I might be going to Uganda next year for a couple of weeks. Ive never been on a plane before and i'm quite worried now lol
rock.gif
Bloody student loans!

mad.gif

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Its grim up north! @ Oct. 08 2004,11:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Oct. 08 2004,12:20)]I might be going to Uganda next year for a couple of weeks. Ive never been on a plane before and i'm quite worried now lol
rock.gif
Bloody student loans!

mad.gif

wink.gif
Oi, we have to pay for it ourselves! Really tempted to go to Patagonia, but the price is £2k, so that's kind of putting me off a bit
biggrin.gif

Don't turn into one of those gap year bores....

If I had to interview students I would actively discriminate against anyone who had been 'travelling' if they had made a big song and dance about it on their CV.

Unlike Princes William and Harry don't try and pretend it is anything other than a great big holiday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Oct. 08 2004,11:20)]I might be going to Uganda next year for a couple of weeks. Ive never been on a plane before and i'm quite worried now lol
rock.gif
Statistics suggest that flying is the safest mode of transport WCS... you could fly every day for 300 years and never be involved in an aircrash!

If you are nearly that age? forget Uganda!
laugh.gif

funniest thing,the wife and i flew to spain 3 years ago with mum and dad.My wife offered the old man a piece of gum,this promptly stuck to the top plate of his dentures and it took him 40 minutes to get it off.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Oct. 08 2004,11:24)]I'd have to say worst experience would be returning to Prestwick from the Bournemouth away game Easter 03 thanks to a marvellous well-known low cost Irish airline (for legal reasons lets say Shamrock Air).

The flight was fine until 10 mins before we were due to land when the plane decidedly lurged from side to side for a couple of minutes.  The flight attendants didn't seem too bothered though & finished their pre-landing safety checks & took their seats for landing.  I was "fortunate" enough to be in the window seat & promptly saw the ground rushing towards us at far too fast a rate.   The lurching then started again until we were about 5m off crashing into the sea (for those who don't know Prestwick it's runways are right on the Atlantic coast).  Then, the plane's engines screeched and the plane pulled up violently.  The girl next to my other half was audibly praying at this point.  Approx 2 minutes later, a shaken pilot's voice cane over the PA & said "Apologies for that incident, we were denied landing clearance at the last moment."

Out of interest, we made a few enquiries to someone we know who works at "Shamrock Air" & it turns out that they have a policy of "Supervised Training" whereby newly qualified pilots are eased into commercial flights.  We were told that our "pilot" had frozen whilst coming into land & his trainer had to take evasive action to prevent a rather nasty accident!

F*ck me, my family have used B'mouth - Prestwick a lot to visit the outlaws. That's very scary. I think I'll stick to Soton Edinburgh in future and fly BA.

Only really had 1 bad experience. Coming back on an early morning flight from Frankfurt when I was 13 or so, we hit shocking turbulance, I was already feeling pretty rough, not helped by the fact the cabin crew were running around like headless chickens scared out of their wits. In my Dad's infinite wisdom, he said that I should eat something and it'd make me feel better, needless to say after munching on a bit of a scone and having a small sip of orange juice, it came straight back up and I felt even worse!

I suppose my second ever flight when I was 10 was quite interesting. Going to Boston (America! before anyone starts!) we encounted a major storm that was threatening to close the major airports in the North East of America. It was late at night, pitch black and we had to circle over the Atlantic for an hour or so before the captain told us that we wouldn't be able to last much longer and there was a large possibility of being diverted to Canada as we didn't have enough fuel. Being only young, I wasn't scared one bit, it was all a big adventure I suppose, which is why I wouldn't really class it as a bad experience now. Thankfully we pushed our way into the queue and was able to land safely in Boston, and not Vancouver.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Oct. 08 2004,12:34)]Don't turn into one of those gap year bores....

If I had to interview students I would actively discriminate against anyone who had been 'travelling' if they had made a big song and dance about it on their CV.

Unlike Princes William and Harry don't try and pretend it is anything other than a great big holiday.
Yeah, but it's fuggin' great.

biggrin.gif

I'll not apologise for taking a gap year. I worked for the first 7 months of it on building sites, earnt a fair bit of money, and then went travelling.

And, as 19 year-olds' experiences go, I'd say travelling overland from Madras to the UK is quite adventurous.

So ner.

tounge.gif

As for the thread...

Worst flying experience was not actually in a plane, but it was the utter ****-up that resulted in a flight being late.

As anyone who has ever tried to travel to India at Christmas time will testify, the world and its wife wants to visit relatives in Mumbai over the Festive season. As a result, most flights to India for the Christmas period are booked up by the previous June.

We were organised, though. My Dad was working for a Dutch company, so the KLM flights were duly booked that summer. All was well, and all was straightforward. 6.50 a.m. flight to Schiphol, lands 9 am local time, then a 10.30 a.m. flight to Mumbai.

We got to Heathrow... "flight delayed by one and a half hours". Now I'm concerned - that's precisely the amount of time we have to change planes. So I ask the Heathrow ground-staff. "Oh, don't worry sir - Schiphol is snow-bound. If our little plane is delayed in landing, then the Mumbai flight won't be able to take off."

So, we board at 8.20 a.m. in Heathrow. At 10.00 a.m., as we break through the cloud cover over Amsterdam... not a single feckin' flake of snow on the ground. To this day, I don't know why we were lied to by Heathrow ground staff. But there's no question, it was a lie. It wasn't as if the snow had cleared, or had melted. They said "snow-bound" and, quite simply, there was no snow.

Of course, the Mumbai flight had gone. So, how do we get to India now? We queued at the transfer centre. After almost 2 hours, they said "we've found you flights: Amsterdam - Rome - Cairo - Bombay".

Not ideal, but in that situation we had no choice. I noted with some concern that there was only 50 minutes' transfer time in Rome, but we figured that, so long as we took off on time, we'd be OK.

Waiting for the Rome flight... up popped the sign, "Delayed 1 hour." Now, I'm really ****ed off. So I go over, barely containing my anger, to the chap in charge of the Rome flight. "We can't make our connecting flights in Rome now", I informed him.

In that very laid-back Dutch way, with a jovial lilt in his voice, he replied "Yeah, dere seems to be havin' a liddle problem here..."

I snapped. I smashed my fist against his counter and hissed "It's a f**king disaster. Get it f**king sorted NOW!" This drew the required response... he went scuttling off, and one of those motorised airport vehicles was commandeered to whisk us back to the transfer desk. The KLM lady driving tried to calm me... "It's OK, we'll sort it out." My sister replied on my behalf: "Listen, I wouldn't try to speak to him... He's way too f**ked off to talk right now." As usual, my sister wasn't wrong...

Eventually, after another two hours, they found us flights. Leaving at 1.00 p.m. the next day. Flying to Bombay... via Osaka. Yes, the one in Japan.

The airline did put us up in a hotel in Amsterdam - although of course we were dressed for India... flip flops, light trousers, no coats. It was minus 4 in Amsterdam. We did not go out.

The next day, when preparing for the flight to Osaka, we asked them about the airport, for the purposes of the transfer. "Is it a big airport?", I inquired. "Oh no, it's quite small really..."

As the flight to Japan progressed, I realised that the minutes between flights were ebbing away. I was beginning to fret, I didn't sleep a wink. We should have had 4 hours lay-over in Osaka. But we left 3 hours late... and the flight was slow. Suddenly, we only had 30 minutes to transfer between flights... but it was OK, Amsterdam ground-staff had told me that Osaka was a small airport.

Another fib. Thanks KLM. As we taxi towards the terminal, we see a plane at Gate 3. "That's our plane", said my sister. "You don't know that..." I replied. However, as usual... she wasn't wrong. Gate 3 it was. We pulled in at... Gate 91.

We sprinted through the airport and were the last on the plane. Luckily they only had seats in Business Class left - one of the few times I've been bumped up.

We made it on the flight to Bombay. However, after waiting for 40 minutes by an empty carousel in Bombay airport, it was clear that our bags - with all our clothes, Christmas presents, my revision for my course - had not made it.

We did get the bags back eventually... 10 days later. Thanks again, KLM.

So there you have it... that's definitely my worst ever airline experience.

My best flying experience? Probably climbing on a flight to Singapore, en route to Melbourne, absolutely exhausted after a really long day at work. A bit of dinner, a glass of beer, head down... and I slept for 11 hours. Bliss. Only one hour to go to Singapore. I then slept again for 5 hours on the flight to Melbourne... and was over my jet-lag within 2 days of getting to Oz - perfect.

smile.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ Oct. 08 2004,12:56)]
[b said:

F*ck me, my family have used B'mouth - Prestwick a lot to visit the outlaws. That's very scary. I think I'll stick to Soton Edinburgh in future and fly BA.
I'd thoroughly recommend you do just that!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 08 2004,12:16)]My sister replied on my behalf: "Listen, I wouldn't try to speak to him... He's way too f**ked off to talk right now."  As usual, my sister wasn't wrong...
I dont remember saying that?
rock.gif
wink.gif

Back