• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

FLYING

CANV

Coach
sorry not drugs or booze related... has anyone ever learnt how to fly..?
is it a great laugh or one of those things that sounds brilliant but ten mins after your up there your bored sh*tless..

i've just flown back from cuba, it isnt the best when you are tall and you sit in the middle
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CANV @ Jan. 20 2005,15:39)]has anyone ever learnt how to fly..?
Yep, we had compulsory Corps / OTC at school, and I was in the RAF section of it.

Aerobatics was feckin' awesome, did that a couple of times. You always flew with some pretty senior old chaps... I was told one day that I was flying with an Air Commodore (effectively 4th tier from the top; 5th tier if you count Phil the Greek, who is Marshall of the RAF). In other words, pretty serious "top brass".

Anyhow, I climbed into the plane (a Chipmunk, excellent laugh, easier to fly than driving a car), got myself strapped in, plugged into the intercom, looked up at the seat in front - in Chipmunks, the pilot sits in the front, and the air cadet sits behind - and all I could see was a massive handle-bar moustache extending either side of the seat.

"Good afternoon, Sir!", I said, somewhat nervously.

"Good afternoon, old boy!" replied the cheeriest, most avuncular voice you've ever heard... "And do call me Bunty!"

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Needless to say, I didn't have the cojones to call him Bunty (I was only 16 at the time), but we had a superb afternoon of aerobatics... and, as I discovered, it's even possible to pull 5.5G in a Chipmunk when you're doing a loop-the-loop at 140 knots...

laugh.gif

Absolutely superb. Can't fly or land a plane, and have only about 4-5 hours air experience in total (i.e. total bloody novice), but learnt how to:

*loop-the-loop
*barrel rool
*stall-turn (feckin' scary)

To compare with your experience, CANV, I did also go up in a motorized glider... which was largely quite uneventful - but I still bloody loved it.

biggrin.gif

Matt

I loved the story (TRUE) of the chinese kid who tried to hijack/steal a concorde because he wanted to fly it under SanFransisco bridge...because he did it in Microsoft Simulator.

I had a Harrier simulator and that was good.
upside.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 20 2005,16:06)]"Good afternoon, Sir!", I said, somewhat nervously.

"Good afternoon, old boy!" replied the cheeriest, most avuncular voice you've ever heard... "And do call me Bunty!"
So basically you fell into a Biggles book.

Back