• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Forget Chelsea

onceknownasrab

President
We should all forget Chelsea and that includes our players. More importantly three of our next four league fixtures are away. Stockport (A), Borient (A), Yeovil (H) and then to cap it all B-Leed-ers (A). I for one am not impressed that Macca would prefer to miss Crewe than Chelsea or that on wednesday night our boys are going to give it all for a game that matters for nothing when only four days later they have to be ready to travel in the pursuit of points. Yes I know the money helps but rarely do we see that go to new players and I know you may argue that it will help the club survive and I am all for that but lg2 will not help our cause and unless the players focus and commitment is given to league football then lg2 is a possibility. After the next four games we could be periliously close to the drop zone. Do we want playes booked, dismissed or injured against Chelsea or even knackered when Stockport beckons so closely after? Not me.

I wouldn't be be ******** myself about Leeds they lost against Carlisle at home yesterday and they had only one away win before that!

Every game is important including Chelsea.

Definitely including Chelsea. Should we do the impossible and scrape a win, that confidence will help us in the league, bring more money into the coffers and maybe attract some quality in the transfer window to come to this unfashionable little club.

Definitely including Chelsea. Should we do the impossible and scrape a win, that confidence will help us in the league, bring more money into the coffers and maybe attract some quality in the transfer window to come to this unfashionable little club.

The impossible dream eh? Life is not like that. The distraction is more likely to wreck us than help us. Perhaps you saw so much confidence and improved form after we dispatched Man U. As for attracting some quality then you really are supporting the wrong side. We are and always have been an unfashionable club. Take a look through the transfer targets that reject us season after season. Unfashionable is not the same as bad and of course the club is the best in the world but only a few of us know that.

The championship was a step to far for us at that time and a certain Mr Eastwood obviously got too big for his boots after he scored THAT free kick, but I honestly believe that winning breeds confidence.

I wouldnt say forget Chelsea, far from it... its one of those oppertunities you dont know if your going to witness or be apart of again supporting a club like Southend. Who knows who we will be facing in the future. So best to make a fuss and make the most of these games when they come along, because they are few and far between.

The i Take a look through the transfer targets that reject us season after season. Unfashionable is not the same as bad and of course the club is the best in the world but only a few of us know that.

nothing like sarcastic bollocks to get my dander up. What would you want. Us to lose £15 million like Charlton did last year. Thank God we've got a sensible chairman.

I wouldnt say forget Chelsea, far from it... its one of those oppertunities you dont know if your going to witness or be apart of again supporting a club like Southend. Who knows who we will be facing in the future. So best to make a fuss and make the most of these games when they come along, because they are few and far between.

Amen to that!

We should all forget Chelsea and that includes our players. More importantly three of our next four league fixtures are away. Stockport (A), Borient (A), Yeovil (H) and then to cap it all B-Leed-ers (A). I for one am not impressed that Macca would prefer to miss Crewe than Chelsea or that on wednesday night our boys are going to give it all for a game that matters for nothing when only four days later they have to be ready to travel in the pursuit of points. Yes I know the money helps but rarely do we see that go to new players and I know you may argue that it will help the club survive and I am all for that but lg2 will not help our cause and unless the players focus and commitment is given to league football then lg2 is a possibility. After the next four games we could be periliously close to the drop zone. Do we want playes booked, dismissed or injured against Chelsea or even knackered when Stockport beckons so closely after? Not me.

i hear what your saying i for one would rather do better in the league but do enjoy a cup run but not treating Chelsea game any different then anyother every game is more important then the last, infact me personaly is looking forward to Stockport away then Wednesday,but cant just forget a game that in away could chance our season either for the worse or for the best.

HOW can you forget chelsea? obviously the league is far more important, but a team like southend or "minnows" how some have labelled us, this is a massive game! it's what you dream of!

HOW can you forget chelsea? obviously the league is far more important, but a team like southend or "minnows" how some have labelled us, this is a massive game! it's what you dream of!

And hopefully memories of which will stay with you for years and years to come. Obviously the league is of more importance, but for this one game let us enjoy being in the world spotlight and showing how "minnows" like us can put the might of Chelsea on their bums and looking defeat straight in the eye. Welcome to the real world of British football Phil Scolari.

So....couldnt get a ticket then?

nothing like sarcastic bollocks to get my dander up. What would you want. Us to lose £15 million like Charlton did last year. Thank God we've got a sensible chairman.

I was not being sarcastic and yes Ron seems to put emphasis on balancing the books which I applaud but what you have to accept is that even if we had 15m to throw around most quality players will still turn us down. If we stayed in the top half of the championship for a few seasons things on that front would improve but for now money is not the fix. we still need the little diamonds we unearth from time to time and above all we require passion and commitment. I am not a believer in players who only raise their game on the big occassion or for the cameras or for the tales they can tell their grandkids. We all witnessed a commitment in the first leg against Chelsea that has barely been present in the league. If it were we would be much higher in the table.Of course a game against Chelsea is one for the memories but for every great game we have played against higher opposition I have more fond memories of true servants to the club that gave their all in each and every game.

I was not being sarcastic and yes Ron seems to put emphasis on balancing the books which I applaud but what you have to accept is that even if we had 15m to throw around most quality players will still turn us down. If we stayed in the top half of the championship for a few seasons things on that front would improve but for now money is not the fix. we still need the little diamonds we unearth from time to time and above all we require passion and commitment. I am not a believer in players who only raise their game on the big occassion or for the cameras or for the tales they can tell their grandkids. We all witnessed a commitment in the first leg against Chelsea that has barely been present in the league. If it were we would be much higher in the table.Of course a game against Chelsea is one for the memories but for every great game we have played against higher opposition I have more fond memories of true servants to the club that gave their all in each and every game.

It's worth bearing in mind that a group of fairly limited players can do far better in a match where they only really have to worry about one of defending or attacking. Tilson's always been one of the more attacking managers away from home and our attempts to play pretty football don't help our cause much.

When you go to Chelsea and play as we did, your roles are relatively simple albeit difficult - contain some of the best players in the world. Our away defensive record has been inexcusable but it's not necessarily for lack of effort. If it was, I'm sure the reaction on here would be as tangible as it was when Leon Clarke played his last game for the club.

Back