• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Former Grimsby Town manager Michael Jolley is keen to be next Southend United boss

I think someone mentioned Jolley before in another post, perhaps that person can enlighten us a little more .

Right, who's got a copy of that press conference?

(Admittedly I want it more for entertainment than due diligence purposes)

I can’t seem to find the recording just a couple of articles that have taken snippets of it.

Apparently this is the full transcript

Michael Jolley’s secretly-recorded outburst at BBC Radio Humberside journalists has had everyone talking – below is a full transcript from the former Grimsby Town boss’ furious tirade.

The exchange took place in the press room at Blundell Park after the Mariners had lost 4-0 to Leyton Orient.

It happened before the actual press conference - but was recorded, club directors were made aware, and it set about series of events that led to Jolley and Grimsby Town parting company on mutual terms last Friday.

Here for the first time is the Jolley rant in full:

“David Burns, Matt Dean, Gwilym (Lloyd) – you haven’t the fxxxing balls to ask a straight question.

“You’re a fxxxing disgrace as a collective. Outrageous. The fxxxing negativity around this football club. It’s a fxxxing disgrace. An absolute disgrace.”

Matt Dean: “Why are you raising this now?”

Michael Jolley: “I have been waiting for an opportune moment when I’ve had you in the room.

“You lot are a fxxxing disgrace. You’re antagonistic, confrontational – fxxxing Jeremy Paxman. You fxxxing are an absolute fxxxing disgrace of a journalist.

“Do your fxxxing research. Fxxxing ask a straight question…you try your best? You are antagonistic, fxxxing patronising, arrogant you are a fxxxing disgrace of a journalist.

“The fxxxing radio station gives us no fxxxing positive coverage whatsoever.

“Fxxxing you and fxxxing Gwilym criticising playing man-for-man at Chelsea.

“I go on the fxxxing Monday night show with Rob (Statton) because he is a fxxxing professional journalist and a fxxxing straight shooter and you don’t fxxxing ask me a question. And then I go off you say ‘yeah it was the wrong decision to play man for man’ – fxxxing ask me then.

“Ask the fxxxing manager. You’ve got no boxxxcks. You’ve got no fxxxing boxxxcks.

“You’re snide, behind people’s fxxxing backs. Every fxxxing manager of this football club has had a problem with you. Every manager. Has had a fxxxing problem. Every single manager has had a problem with you.

“I’ve fxxxing spoke to them all. Trust me. About you. As an individual.

“And fxxxing Burns is an absolute fxxxing disgrace as well. A fxxxing disgrace.

“Ask me some fxxxing decent questions. Your fxxxing confrontational. Jeremy fxxxing Paxman.

“I’ve said to you, ask me any question you want. You’re fxxxing **** at it, you should do your fxxxing research.

“You put a negative spin on everything. You’ve never ever given us any fxxxing credit.

“How did Chesterfield get on today? How did Barnet get on today? That’s who we could be competing with. You could be going to fxxxing Braintree. And fxxxing Borehamwood, you people. Have you fxxxing spoken about that?”

After a short, partially-audible exchange with John Tondeur, Jolley continues: “Have you seen our fxxxing budget. Have you seen our budget. Do you know where we fxxxing should be? Do you know where we fxxxing should be?

“Have you said that on the radio? Or have you just said ‘you’re not doing very well’. All the fxxxing negative things you ask all the time. Your style is so antagonistic.

“Come on Matt. You know yourself, you try to catch people out. You might get a bit more respect if you tried to build a relationship. Rob’s coverage is reasonable and balanced. Your coverage isn’t balanced.

“You must be fxxxing buzzing – ‘4-0 Grimsby lose at home, fxxxing brilliant, this is exactly what we fxxxing want’. You must be fxxxing delighted. It’s actually fxxxing true.”

Michael Jolley’s secretly-recorded outburst at BBC Radio Humberside journalists has had everyone talking – below is a full transcript from the former Grimsby Town boss’ furious tirade.

The exchange took place in the press room at Blundell Park after the Mariners had lost 4-0 to Leyton Orient.

It happened before the actual press conference - but was recorded, club directors were made aware, and it set about series of events that led to Jolley and Grimsby Town parting company on mutual terms last Friday.

“David Burns, Matt Dean, Gwilym (Lloyd) – you haven’t the fxxxing balls to ask a straight question.

“You’re a fxxxing disgrace as a collective. Outrageous. The fxxxing negativity around this football club. It’s a fxxxing disgrace. An absolute disgrace.”

Michael Jolley: “I have been waiting for an opportune moment when I’ve had you in the room.

“You lot are a fxxxing disgrace. You’re antagonistic, confrontational – fxxxing Jeremy Paxman. You fxxxing are an absolute fxxxing disgrace of a journalist.

“Do your fxxxing research. Fxxxing ask a straight question…you try your best? You are antagonistic, fxxxing patronising, arrogant you are a fxxxing disgrace of a journalist.

“I go on the fxxxing Monday night show with Rob (Statton) because he is a fxxxing professional journalist and a fxxxing straight shooter and you don’t fxxxing ask me a question. And then I go off you say ‘yeah it was the wrong decision to play man for man’ – fxxxing ask me then.

“Ask the fxxxing manager. You’ve got no boxxxcks. You’ve got no fxxxing boxxxcks.

“You’re snide, behind people’s fxxxing backs. Every fxxxing manager of this football club has had a problem with you. Every manager. Has had a fxxxing problem. Every single manager has had a problem with you.

“Ask me some fxxxing decent questions. Your fxxxing confrontational. Jeremy fxxxing Paxman.

“I’ve said to you, ask me any question you want. You’re fxxxing **** at it, you should do your fxxxing research.

“You put a negative spin on everything. You’ve never ever given us any fxxxing credit.

“How did Chesterfield get on today? How did Barnet get on today? That’s who we could be competing with. You could be going to fxxxing Braintree. And fxxxing Borehamwood, you people. Have you fxxxing spoken about that?”

After a short, partially-audible exchange with John Tondeur, Jolley continues: “Have you seen our fxxxing budget. Have you seen our budget. Do you know where we fxxxing should be? Do you know where we fxxxing should be?

“Have you said that on the radio? Or have you just said ‘you’re not doing very well’. All the fxxxing negative things you ask all the time. Your style is so antagonistic.

“Come on Matt. You know yourself, you try to catch people out. You might get a bit more respect if you tried to build a relationship. Rob’s coverage is reasonable and balanced. Your coverage isn’t balanced.

“You must be fxxxing buzzing – ‘4-0 Grimsby lose at home, fxxxing brilliant, this is exactly what we fxxxing want’. You must be fxxxing delighted. It’s actually fxxxing true.”

I’m a bit disappointed that he only used one word worthy of redaction, despite many opportunities in his statement. He’ll need a greater vocabulary to be successful as a manager!

I’m a bit disappointed that he only used one word worthy of redaction, despite many opportunities in his statement. He’ll need a greater vocabulary to be successful as a manager!
Lol, does it show passion, was he ticked after losing 4-0, but in my mind he probably just said what a lot of managers want to say to certain reporters.

Lol, does it show passion, was he ticked after losing 4-0, but in my mind he probably just said what a lot of managers want to say to certain reporters.
Totally agree. It may be a bit unprofessional, but there's a strong element of truth. As @Spaceman Spiff says though... his limited use of expletive is somewhat disappointing and points towards a lack of creativity I hope doesn't translate to his managerial skills.

I don’t see why he should have got sacked for showing a bit of passion and calling out journalists. They obviously took a disliking to him and he called them out. I’d rather have that then the soppy bollocks crap that came out of Campbell’s mouth. Didn’t even get his own teams name correct!

I don’t see why he should have got sacked for showing a bit of passion and calling out journalists. They obviously took a disliking to him and he called them out. I’d rather have that then the soppy bollocks crap that came out of Campbell’s mouth. Didn’t even get his own teams name correct!
I imagine after the way the Daily Mail reported his appointment at Grimsby he hardly likes Journalists at the best of times!

I saw that headline yesterday and thought WTF are we doing talking to him. It's only when you actually read deeper you understand what happened. I also see they had to issue an apology for that headline!

I'd love tuning into BBC Essex at 5pm when we've just lost 4-0 at home to Barrow and hear an honest review like that! No more "I don't know" or "We didn't get the rub of the green"... A full hearted, "We were F****** S***"

I like the honesty, plus it wasn't actually on air, just recorded previously and released anyway, giving him even more reason to not trust or like journalists

Wow. All I can say is poor bloke and shame on anyone who brings that up and uses it inappropriately to insult him or question him as a person or a professional.

As someone who works with kids, that’s literally your worst nightmare.

Yes, we are most used to 'rub of the green' and 'pulling trees up in training' and other stuff along those lines.

He seems like a decent contender and has a strong record I'd be happy with him as he obviously has something to prove due to the way he was sacked.

He'd have more choice on the players he signed with Southend too, it's quite difficult for Grimsby to attract players due to it's location along with the rundown nature of the town itself

Frankly the fact the recording got published goes a long way to showing everything he said was true.

Back