• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fossets Farm - Statues?

If we're talking statues to commemorate the life of Southend United FC then it can only be Oliver Trigg.

And perhaps a smaller one inside the main reception area of Sid Broomfield to remember in years to come of exactly where SUFC's modern era began.

It would have to be Trigg. Without him there would be no club.A statue I think costs 25.000 plus IIRC. A bust would be good and quite classy (ie Herbert Chapman at ****nal). I'll get a quote.

Sid should get the stand named after him, a part of one of the pubs with pictures of him building RHetc. Plus if god willing he is still with us in 2008 (he's in his 80s) he should cut the ribbon opening the new ground.

If we do have statues at FF, then we could do a lot worse than getting the person who sculpted the statues outside the MCG in Oz. See how good the one in the picture is!
IMG_0086.jpg

It may not be out of the clubs price range. A$1,000,000 equates to approx just over £400K for the 10 statues at The "G." Some of the statues were group sculptures, i.e. 3-4 Aussie (no) Rules footballers. £40K on a statue wouldn't be that steep if we could agree on who have the statue of!

I spent Christmas Day afternoon walking off my Christmas BBQ & admiring the sculptures! The best statues I've ever seen!

Sorry folks, I've made this thread all poncey & arty!!

I would like to see a lifesize sculpture of Scotty Forbes carrying wing hero Stevie Clarke on his back piggy back style. :cry:

many years ago I wrote an article for WTSSG saying we should have a statue of David Jack. In the end the Shrimpers Trust put a plaque up at his childhood home in Hamlet Court Drive (it being about £40,000 cheaper if The Big Shrimp is right) and a plaque on the Blue Boar. I'm quite serious about this statue/bust idea. I will pursue.

I'm sure there are cheaper options than the MCG artist & perhaps if possible use a local artist to make it. Keep the Southend theme going through the ground.

Like the sentiment but it'll only get vandalised by some Spurs / west scum / ****nal ****er

Nottingham Forest have had a fund to have a Brian Clough statue outside The City Ground. I think the cost was £80,000 and I think they are nearly there but they started that fund a couple of years back IIRC. Someone might be able to find out more on the net?

I'd like to see a statue of Tony Clarke and his two sons.

Who are they? You ask...

Think back a few years now (12 years this September IIRC) and Tony, who travelled down to all home games, was killed on the A130 near Howe Green on his way to a home game (with Wolves I think) along with his 2 young sons (both under 10 years old) all three wearing their blues shirts. (His wife, Sarah, survived the accident but was tragically bereaved of her husband and both children in one fell swoop)

A statue of them would remind people that we are a family club, built on Dads introducing kids who grow up to be just as passionate and introduce their own kids.

I'd like to see a statue of Tony Clarke and his two sons.

Who are they? You ask...

Think back a few years now (12 years this September IIRC) and Tony, who travelled down to all home games, was killed on the A130 near Howe Green on his way to a home game (with Wolves I think) along with his 2 young sons (both under 10 years old) all three wearing their blues shirts. (His wife, Sarah, survived the accident but was tragically bereaved of her husband and both children in one fell swoop)

A statue of them would remind people that we are a family club, built on Dads introducing kids who grow up to be just as passionate and introduce their own kids.

Thats was not the bloke who use to run Junior Blues?

No - that was Tony somebody else that used to be the fat builder - got seriously disenchanted with the club and I think now runs a sports shop on Canvey.

Back