• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

City clubs with new stadium currently in the 92 clubs are
4,7,9,11,12,17,18,19,20,21,29,34,50,54,56,66th

Town clubs with new stadium currently are
23,24,31,33,34,36,50,53,57,62,70,74,77th

Highest ranked town club with new stadium are placed 23rd in current league ranking.

Not looking for an argument here , but what does the above mean ?

Their current position means nothing , as if must be compared with something if we are comparing how a club has positioned itself after a move to a new stadium ... that's the parameter isn't it ... one very quick example I could think of is that of Barnet, they probably would say that they are better off now they have a new stadium when compared to them at undergill , But I have no idea if their current position is higher than they have ever been.

Also , you need to consider clubs that have needed to move stadiums, a category I believe we fall into . I honestly don't see what your positions above actually prove in relation to the question regarding clubs being better off after a stadium move.

3 of those clubs are city based whilst Reading have always enjoyed decent support...Hull and Reading were relegated and Swansea look as though they will follow....Middlesborough with their newish stadium look doomed along with Sunderland who also have a newish stadium.

newstadiadoesntguaranteelongtermsuccess

No it doesn't but we can't stay at RH forever if we ever realistically want to progress.

Let's not forget the training complex that is planned to be constructed aswell, which not only would help our already-promising academy, but would certainly help to entice potential signings.

A new stadium doesn't guarantee success, but in the long term staying at Roots Hall isn't sustainable.

Phase 1 is to put a fence around a bit of land to keep the natives happy.
Phase 2 is to work out what to do next to keep the natives from getting restless.

I have very little confidence in ron being able.to deliver a stadium....but why just whack up a very professional almost deluxe kind of fence....just for show when something far cheaper and nastier would have done as a simple appeasement. I have heard that an announcement is imminent.

I have very little confidence in ron being able.to deliver a stadium....but why just whack up a very professional almost deluxe kind of fence....just for show when something far cheaper and nastier would have done as a simple appeasement. I have heard that an announcement is imminent.

I tend to agree with you on all parts......YES agree with you.....whats happening to me?

BUT....wont be convinced until I walk through the turnstiles.. IF its finally built.

I truely hope you are a correct, but the fence to me just looks like a variation of the 'Making Southend Proud' billboards that sprung up at Roots Hall and Boots and Laces all those years ago, and now a decade later we have a posh fence and bugger all else.

However British Land somewhat like the project and it is they who are funding it- and by the way unlike Sainsbury it is how they make their money. Don't be surprised to be surprised..

No Ron would own the stadium...he can charge any rent he sees fit...Ron has never ever stated if revenue streams at FF will go directly into the team...without the main stand the budget would be limited.

Ron owns Southend United. Would Southend United itself (regardless of owner) own the stadium or a separate company owned by Ron?. There is a huge difference between the two.

My understanding is that this £400k gets added to the clubs debt every year, and makes up the bulk of our red on the balance sheet. So I've always been under the impression, rightly or wrongly, that if we get promoted to the prem or unearth a £20m starlet and get some huge money in, Ron will get a big payout. Until then, he is subsidising us to a degree

thats not what the notes to the accounts say , also if you look at the accounts of the owners of the ground they do not carry the "debt" as an asset. Unless I have misread these accounts, which is quite possible. Was your impression from the accounts ?

3 of those clubs are city based whilst Reading have always enjoyed decent support...Hull and Reading were relegated and Swansea look as though they will follow....Middlesborough with their newish stadium look doomed along with Sunderland who also have a newish stadium.

newstadiadoesntguaranteelongtermsuccess
Only one of Swansea and Hull will be relegated this season and even if they were both relegated, so what? They've both been in Europe in the past few seasons and Swansea have enjoyed a relatively lengthy spell in the top flight. How can you not consider that long term success compared to being stuck in League 1 and 2?

thats not what the notes to the accounts say , also if you look at the accounts of the owners of the ground they do not carry the "debt" as an asset. Unless I have misread these accounts, which is quite possible. Was your impression from the accounts ?

No, it's always been more of an assumption I've had. So is the debt to Ron personally rather than the company who own the ground?

A new stadium does not guarantee success,but one things for certain and RM is fully aware of this , that is long term sustainabilty is uncertain if we stay at RH.Southend need a new stadium whether its a 3 sided one to begin with or not ,RH is tired and probably costing a lot of money to look after.Seems to me RM and PB have got Southend into a strong position now as a challenger in league one ,players are being paid the club is in stable position so now is the time to get something moving on the new stadium.

A new stadium does not guarantee success,but one things for certain and RM is fully aware of this , that is long term sustainabilty is uncertain if we stay at RH.Southend need a new stadium whether its a 3 sided one to begin with or not ,RH is tired and probably costing a lot of money to look after.Seems to me RM and PB have got Southend into a strong position now as a challenger in league one ,players are being paid the club is in stable position so now is the time to get something moving on the new stadium.

I fully agree with you, but with the players now training in what amounts to a scrap-yard and over ten years of one step forward and two steps backwards, I'm finding it very hard not to be cynical just because a few hundred quid has been spent on a fence, even if it is adorned with a few buzzy statements.

I fully agree with you, but with the players now training in what amounts to a scrap-yard and over ten years of one step forward and two steps backwards, I'm finding it very hard not to be cynical just because a few hundred quid has been spent on a fence, even if it is adorned with a few buzzy statements.

Slight exaggeration. I'm sure you remember we used to train over Priory park and in the RH car park when it was wet. Overall the facilities at B&L aren't bad for L1. Our academy has a good name in the football world and is certainly producing results.

Any planning application is more a set of hurdles to overcome rather than steps backwards. The bigger the project the more hurdles you face. I'm sure Ron of all people wants to see his dome fully operational as this would give us a cat 2 status with the academy. That means we would attract and keep better youngsters in the first place. I am told we would get more money if they then did leave because we would be cat 2.

For those of you who think we will be stuck with a 3 sided stadium and no revenue, which of course we won't. I'd like to point out that with our proximity to London and with the right set-up there's no reason why we couldn't follow Southampton's model and earn some real money from the academy whilst the team would benefit as the players develop.

Back