• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Leeboy

Original and possibly best
Staff member
The Football League have given Wimbledon permission to change their name to Milton Keynes Dons FC.
The move comes in time for this Thursday's publication of the fixture lists for the 2004/5 season.

According to a statement, the name will officially change "once the formalities regarding the share transfer have been completed and approved by the League."

Wimbledon finally moved to Milton Keynes in September 2003 but were relegated at the end of last season.

They currently play at the National Hockey Stadium, but hope to eventually move to a new 28,000-seater ground in Denbigh.

The InterMK consortium headed by music promoter Pete Winkleman is poised to complete a takeover and take the club out of administration.

The name change is the latest chapter in one of the most controversial sagas in recent footballing history.

from BBC Sport

According to a mate at work there is a sign outside the stadium that has said 'Welcome to the Home of the MK Dons' for sometime, even though it's only now official.

I wonder how many more of their ever dwindling Wimbledon fanbase will stop going now?

AC

Wimbledon FC is dead. Long live AFC Wimbledon, who now own the moral right to call themselves the successors to the club that won the FA Cup.

I trust that the MK Dons will be removing "FA Cup Winners" from their club history, since their club has no history. Or future, one might suggest. They are a morally bankrupt organisation, with nothing in common with Wimbledon FC - neither the location, nor players, nor fans.

Matt

Totally agree with you Matt. The sooner MK Dons tumble through the divisions and out of existence the better.

I look forward to Southend taking on AFC Wimbledon in the League one day.

_749021_fan300.jpg

I bet if this bloke knew what was gonna happen he'd have blubbed a bit more.

Shocking news, many football fans have a soft spot for what was Wimbledon, from the rise from non-league to the top, That FA cup, Sam Hamman, The Crazy gang. What a tragic loss to football. Love to see AFC Wimbledon promoted and the Concrete Cows Franchise go bust.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 22 2004,12:40)]I trust that the MK Dons will be removing "FA Cup Winners" from their club history, since their club has no history.
Doubt it, Matt. Their warped perspective probably leads them to believe they've 'bought' the club's history whilst digesting their identity.

I hope they fade away to nothing ASAP... the MK Dons is an ugly blot on the English football map.

Image if AFC Wimbledon went through to 1st Round & get a home draw with MK Dons .... that would be a FA Cup classic match
biggrin.gif
what the price on AFC Wimbledon fans going mental (like Southend fans when they got the winner agasint Col Ewes) when AFC score past MK goalkeeper .... if that happen I would watch it.

I think what is worth mentioning is our governing body that are the FA, I for one can not believe our own football association for allowing this total and utter farsical that call themselves a football club, how can they ever justify letting them move what happens to the next poor football club who gets a little Hitler as a chairman. It’s a total disgrace. I can understand a small move 10-20 miles away perhaps but f**king MK. They don’t play at a football stadium and aren’t a real football club. If the people of MK have any sense they will go to Northampton, Rushden etc and leave the franchise. AFC Wimbledon shows the spirit of football fans everywhere and the spirit of football and Wimbledon as a club. Whilst the blame goes to people like Koppel, Winkelman this would never have happened if the FA had stopped it!

MK Dons or whatever they call themselfs will never be a true football club.

Why didn't they just fund a local non-league team this truly makes me sick. To claim in their cabinet the FA Cup win is just too far it's absolutely a load of b******s someone needs to get some sense concerning this and just put AFC Wombles in the 2nd division and dump those MK d**ks into Non-league sharpish. Disgusting.

Ford United last season moved from the Borough of Barking and Dagenham into the Borough of Redbridge and have just been re-named Redbridge FC. Does it not matter because they are a smaller club?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (axeman @ June 25 2004,10:22)]Ford United last season moved from the Borough of Barking and Dagenham into the Borough of Redbridge and have just been re-named Redbridge FC. Does it not matter because they are a smaller club?
Controversial.

But Ford wasn't much of an identity, as they no longer - through no fault of their own - have players from the Ford works.

And Redbridge is hardly 80 miles away i it?!

Ok, here goes. Say we drew MK Dons away in the FA Cup this coming season. Would you go and support the mighty Shrimpers at a new ground that's not too far from home and hand over your entrance money to these beasts? Or boycott on moral grounds?

An interesting one which we may have to consider someday soon anyway.

Your views, ladies & gentlemen?

I boycotted the game at Roots Hall a couple of seasons ago so if I was back in England I would have no qualms about boycotting such a match ...

WS

I wouldn't boycott. Franchise FC may be morally wrong, but their staff and players still have to be paid, etc. Everyone seems to forget that point.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ June 30 2004,10:02)]We could always turn up wearing black arm bands and throwing reefs onto the pitch or some other gesture....
exactly. a healthy compromise. ps wreaths.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 30 2004,10:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ June 30 2004,10:02)]We could always turn up wearing black arm bands and throwing reefs onto the pitch or some other gesture....
exactly. a healthy compromise. ps wreaths.
Why not reefs? Big spiky coral reefs, hopefully one will get Pete Winkleman in the eye.

Back