• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yawn, let's see if if we score the same amount of goals and get in the too three. I am amazed that we had all of these threads on the lack of a pacey striker when you guys believe we scored enough goals. We had the best defence in the league already. Realistically how much better could it be, but our goals scored was way below where it should fave been

Yet as Ive pointed out before Chesterfield won the league and Corr scored more than their strikers.

We certainly need to score more goals as a team, but doesnt have to be from one player, pacy or not.

Now there's a thought, a combined Freddy/Kev Maher joint testimonial as the first game at Fossetts.......

I think a testimonial can be awarded for any reason, not just 10 years service. Maher's was always promised to be the first match at Fossetts, I just think combining it for the two of them would be a good idea, especially if we do still have a "Freddy Eastwood" on our books at that time!

Why would you expect Kevin Maher to agree to that and give up half the money he would deservedly make? Don't forget you are only entitled to a testimonial if you have been at the same club for 10 years, or have had to retire early through injury.

(The money raised by a testimonial is given to the player as a gift, and is therefore tax free. I doubt very much the HMRC would agree to allowing any money to be given to Freddy tax free just because it's him.)

KM did 10 years, Freddy has not done 10 years, and has not retired through injury.

That would be massively unfair to KM.

Why would you expect Kevin Maher to agree to that and give up half the money he would deservedly make? Don't forget you are only entitled to a testimonial if you have been at the same club for 10 years, or have had to retire early through injury.

(The money raised by a testimonial is given to the player as a gift, and is therefore tax free. I doubt very much the HMRC would agree to allowing any money to be given to Freddy tax free just because it's him.)

KM did 10 years, Freddy has not done 10 years, and has not retired through injury.

That would be massively unfair to KM.

How do we know yet that he hasn't been forced to?

The injury must be the reason we have let him go but that said I don't think Freddy deserves to be part of a testimonial.

How do we know yet that he hasn't been forced to?

Because he has been released, and has said he's fit.

However, don't ignore the rest of my post. Why would you expect KM to give up half the amount he would make from a testimonial?

If it does indeed turn out that Freddy has to retire then he is entitled to a testimonial as well. However, it should be a separate event. After all, wouldn't you think Freddy would be deserving of a testimonial in his own right, rather than a share of one?

Freddy does not deserve a testimonial.

Testimonial is given for 10 years of service through thick and thin sort of thing. Fred is a legend for firing us up into the Championship but then he left once relegated.

He has comeback still a legend for the goal his scored before but is not the same player anymore and the decision to release is correct for what we got in return from the wages we were paying it's a no brainer. For the argument the playing time he got for a legend was appauling is rubbish you don't play a player becuase he was good for the club years ago, we are playing in the now so you do whats the best for the team now and Fred's not been up to it.

I would of kept Fred over Barnard but Barnard obviously agreed a one year deal when he signed on loan so PB has had to deal with it and so have we.

Freddy does not deserve a testimonial.

Testimonial is given for 10 years of service through thick and thin sort of thing. Fred is a legend for firing us up into the Championship but then he left once relegated.

He has comeback still a legend for the goal his scored before but is not the same player anymore and the decision to release is correct for what we got in return from the wages we were paying it's a no brainer. For the argument the playing time he got for a legend was appauling is rubbish you don't play a player becuase he was good for the club years ago, we are playing in the now so you do whats the best for the team now and Fred's not been up to it.

I would of kept Fred over Barnard but Barnard obviously agreed a one year deal when he signed on loan so PB has had to deal with it and so have we.
If I remember Graham Bressington got one ,and he only played 48 games for Southend .

His 12 year old lad has just signed a new contract. I believe Mark Gower's son is also at Southend. Would be nice to one day see both their sons in the first team!

However, don't ignore the rest of my post. Why would you expect KM to give up half the amount he would make from a testimonial?

If it does indeed turn out that Freddy has to retire then he is entitled to a testimonial as well. However, it should be a separate event. After all, wouldn't you think Freddy would be deserving of a testimonial in his own right, rather than a share of one?

I don't know, it just seems fitting to me. I doubt that either of them would be particularly bothered about the financial benefits of such a match, the symbolism of it would possibly mean more. Don't forget they were team-mates.

Maybe, the female viewpoint on this is different to the male, the monetary aspect would be secondary in my opinion.

Yawn, let's see if if we score the same amount of goals and get in the too three. I am amazed that we had all of these threads on the lack of a pacey striker when you guys believe we scored enough goals. We had the best defence in the league already. Realistically how much better could it be, but our goals scored was way below where it should fave been

But if we scored more goals we may well have conceded more goals. I saw us a lot this year (although probably less than most) and I didn't see us missing a lot of chances. If we'd played a more open, expansive game we could well have dropped more points.

We had all of those threads because blaming all of our failings on our strikers is a lazy criticism which has dominated ShrimperZone since day one (and probably does every other team's forums but I don't post on those). We'd have got promoted in 2003/04 if we'd had a 'Professional Big Bloke' (as it was coined on here at the time). We'd have been promoted this year if we'd had a pacy, hungry young striker. We got relegated in 06/07 because Freddy Eastwood was lazy. We got relegated in 09/10 because we sold Lee Barnard. Every single one of those arguments was massively over-simplistic. It's the scapegoat culture I guess.

I don't know, it just seems fitting to me. I doubt that either of them would be particularly bothered about the financial benefits of such a match, the symbolism of it would possibly mean more. Don't forget they were team-mates.

Maybe, the female viewpoint on this is different to the male, the monetary aspect would be secondary in my opinion.

You serious? Even if you're right, it isn't really your's (or Freddy's) decision to make. If I was on the KM testimonial committee I wouldn't even entertain the idea.

Whilst KM has probably done OK playing wise, he didn't hit the heights that Freddy did at Wolves and playing for Wales, and I doubt he's financially made for life. (I doubt Freddy is either, but that isn't the issue.) I think he'd be happy to take every penny he's given, and deserves.

But if we scored more goals we may well have conceded more goals. I saw us a lot this year (although probably less than most) and I didn't see us missing a lot of chances. If we'd played a more open, expansive game we could well have dropped more points.

We had all of those threads because blaming all of our failings on our strikers is a lazy criticism which has dominated ShrimperZone since day one (and probably does every other team's forums but I don't post on those). We'd have got promoted in 2003/04 if we'd had a 'Professional Big Bloke' (as it was coined on here at the time). We'd have been promoted this year if we'd had a pacy, hungry young striker. We got relegated in 06/07 because Freddy Eastwood was lazy. We got relegated in 09/10 because we sold Lee Barnard. Every single one of those arguments was massively over-simplistic. It's the scapegoat culture I guess.

All of the above.

Human nature is to want a nice easy reason for things happening, a pacy young striker was what we were repeatedly told we needed and couldn't get promoted without. Yet we got one and one great game aside we went on a great run without him and our slow striker scored more than the strikers in the champion's side.

It never was that simple.

I think a testimonial can be awarded for any reason, not just 10 years service. Maher's was always promised to be the first match at Fossetts, I just think combining it for the two of them would be a good idea, especially if we do still have a "Freddy Eastwood" on our books at that time!

WTF does that have to do with giving Freddy a testimonial? Clutching at straws now

Yet as Ive pointed out before Chesterfield won the league and Corr scored more than their strikers.

We certainly need to score more goals as a team, but doesnt have to be from one player, pacy or not.

The hard fact is , we didn't go up this year becasue we didnt score enough goals- not an opinion a fact. On the basis that we had already signed Barney (god knows why) and Corr was stayng thata means that if Barney stayed 3 of our 4 strikers would be the same as last year. That means that if the fourth striker doesn't work where would the goals come from ?? At least this way ther is space for Brown to bring someone else in - who knows it could be another Tomlin or even another 'Eastwood' or 'Barney' from first time around.

Thats the beauty about football and new players, the unknown and the 'hope' that they will be the next best thing. Personally i would have rather kept him than Barney, but it would be interesting to know exactly what his prognosis is re his kneees. Maybe Brown could felt that on balance the likelyhood was tht he would be too injury prone and he was unwilling to take the gamble?

No. it is an opinion.

thank you for agreeing with the crux of my point finally :winking:

His 12 year old lad has just signed a new contract. I believe Mark Gower's son is also at Southend. Would be nice to one day see both their sons in the first team!

Yes that is correct. Simon Francis & Mark Gower were late to my charity game as they watched Gower's son play for Southend in the morning.

All this "we didnt score enough goals" is almost right. However the FACT is, that technically we were minimum 3 goals shy of promotion. 2 against Burton in the Play Off Semi Final and minimum 1 in the final if we had got there. Its not like we just missed out on Automatic Promotion, we missed out on missed opportunities, not a generalistic "not enough goals" belief !

You serious? Even if you're right, it isn't really your's (or Freddy's) decision to make. If I was on the KM testimonial committee I wouldn't even entertain the idea.

Whilst KM has probably done OK playing wise, he didn't hit the heights that Freddy did at Wolves and playing for Wales, and I doubt he's financially made for life. (I doubt Freddy is either, but that isn't the issue.) I think he'd be happy to take every penny he's given, and deserves.

WTF does that have to do with giving Freddy a testimonial? Clutching at straws now

FGS, why do you two have to be so analytical all the time and dissect everything I say? It was a suggestion, that I just threw out there as I thought it would be "nice" for everyone. I am clutching at nothing DWB, all I said was it would great if Freddy's son was on our books at such time as it happened!!!

Stop making mountains out of molehills, it was purely a speculative suggestion!!! :facepalm:

FGS, why do you two have to be so analytical all the time and dissect everything I say? It was a suggestion, that I just threw out there as I thought it would be "nice" for everyone. I am clutching at nothing DWB, all I said was it would great if Freddy's son was on our books at such time as it happened!!!

Stop making mountains out of molehills, it was purely a speculative suggestion!!! :facepalm:

I'm not. You suggested it would be nice for Kevin Maher to share his testimonial with Freddy Eastwood. I pointed out that KM is actually entitled to one, and Freddy isn't, and then asked you to justify it. You could easily have said there is no justification, but it might be nice. You didn't, you tried to argue the point. (Badly if I may say!)

Back