• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Freddy Eastwood. The numbers.

Beefy

Life President
Common consensus is that Freddy hasn't been great this season. I think thats harsh for all the various reasons that have been gone into many, many times now (no service, better defenders who double-mark him, no Goater alongside him) but if you strip away all that and just look at the numbers he's not been too bad at all.

Tonight he scored his 13th goal of the season. By the end of January last season he had only managed 12.

Last year, by this point in the season, we had as a team scored 47 times meaning that Freddy had contributed 25.5% of our goals. This season, due largely to our cup runs, we've scored 40 times of which Fred has chipped 32.5%.

Ok, he's been on the pens this year but he's still got nine even if you take them out.

Freddy Eastwood has scored a lot of goals in the second half of both the last two seasons and they, more than anything else, have got us to where we are today. I'm sure we all hope that he'll end 2006/07 just as strongly and keep us in the Championship.

good post beefy just goes to show that when put in black and white it opens your eyes a bit. How would Southend do if we could just unlock a gem to play alongside Freddy?

He looked up for it tonight and could of had some more chances on a better pitch. Him and Bradders look dangerously separate though so I would like to see them doing more link up work to spread the load.

very good point, dare we say at this point he is staying at club :confused: if so it only good news he has scored thirteen goals, he is class be in no doubt about that he can scor the goals to keep us up, nothing less than three million up front would get the chairman moist but in long run could be worth so much more to the club if stays, maybe ron should break the bank and offer much ipmroved contract, i talking at least three grand a week you never know he may say yes and stay two more years

Its that double edged sword keep him and remain relatively skint. Or sell him get relegated and have money to build a descent team to push for honours. And before anyone says, i would prefere to stay up and be skint lol

You cant replace some players, a couple spring to mind chris powell, collymore for example, eastwood falls into this group easily might as well throw sammy in there as well

I really like the stats on that top post.

I can't help feeling some people have been misconstrued, perhaps including myself. I feel I've been none of the most vocal in defending his attitude and I have on numerous occasions praised how many goals he has scored. The only caveat was ever a lack of league goals given our cup run this year in comparison to last year (4 cup games in total??).

Last night's goal, I reckon, could be exactly what he needed. It wasn't the cleanest of strikes but it is an open play goal and it might lead to a few more long rangers flying clean in. Again, as I mentioned before, we look like a very solid unit when Eastwood's longer range shots are going in and it showed last night, however mediocre some of the bluenoses suggest their team were.

If anyone bid for him, forget it, its too late to get him - Ron Martin & Tilson will not let him go now. Has anyone bid for him end of December or in the first week of the 2007, Martin & Tilson would think about it, as they would have time to get a replacement in. But now, any club who want him must bugger off.

Last night's goal, I reckon, could be exactly what he needed. It wasn't the cleanest of strikes but it is an open play goal and it might lead to a few more long rangers flying clean in. Again, as I mentioned before, we look like a very solid unit when Eastwood's longer range shots are going in and it showed last night, however mediocre some of the bluenoses suggest their team were.
I think you've also mentioned there why no ones come in for Fredy. Long range strikes are very spectacular but I really feel that Fredy's lack of a "poaching" in & around the 6 yard box will have put teams off. Until he re-finds that ability, shown by his 1st 2 league goals vs Swansea so we know he can do it, it'll be a very brave manager to shell out the sort of money that we'd want.

He never scores with his head either.

I think you've also mentioned there why no ones come in for Fredy. Long range strikes are very spectacular but I really feel that Fredy's lack of a "poaching" in & around the 6 yard box will have put teams off. Until he re-finds that ability, shown by his 1st 2 league goals vs Swansea so we know he can do it, it'll be a very brave manager to shell out the sort of money that we'd want.

Serious question: Has Freddy scored with his head since he went head-crazy that day against Swansea? I've spent a good 1.8s thinking about it and can't think of any. After 5.8s maybe that one against Grimsby but I can't remember how he scored that...

well not many great strikers are great with their head. A certain Mr Rooney scored his first ever headed goal for Man Utd against ****nal and if Henry has scored more than 2 I will be shocked

Henry makes up for it with pace, Rooney with strength. Eastwood has neither.

Pele could head the ball well.

well not many great strikers are great with their head. A certain Mr Rooney scored his first ever headed goal for Man Utd against ****nal and if Henry has scored more than 2 I will be shocked

The other important factor here is how many of those goals have been league goals. His contribution in the cups won't keep us up. However two goals in two games suggests an encouraging return to form which may also improve when the transfer window is firmly shut.

Regardless of the number of goals Freddy has or hasn't got this season, IMO the bottom line is he hasn't been playing well. Yes he is up against better defenders, yes the service has been woeful on occasions, but I don't believe that is the whole story. The fact is (as I see it obviously), is that if Freddy wants to reach the very top, his work rate has to improve. This is nothing new - I remember Tilson mentioning it when we were in League 2. The difference is at this level he wont get away with it anymore. The irritating thing is, is that some games his work rate is phenomenal, so we know he can do it.

Back