• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I highly doubt he'd say that in public to a stranger? My little boy took a picture with him and if you really want to see it, you'll be able to clearly see that he is in no fit state to play 46 games a season. *Michael Ricketts rings a bell*

And I doubt any professional football player would be ordering a chicken legend meal, large chips and a large coke, 6 chicken nuggets and onion rings just for himself..
the very thing I would expect him to eat

Fred could go into non league but he is not interested in that.With his knee problems retirement best all round.

To be honest I'm almost kind of glad he's (allegedly) made that decision. Seeing him in another shirt at Roots Hall would have been a very strange experience, I'm glad he ended his career with the club he loved the most. I'll be breaking with tradition and will go to the Ipswich game, I never do friendlies but I'll make an exception for this one.Good luck to him.
Same here. I do think Fred deserves the Legend tag for his first spell with us and that is the Fred I always think of when I hear his name mentioned or I have a cup of coffee in my mug with all the pictures from the Manchester United game. I also very rarely go to friendlies and my husband never goes but we will both be there on 29th to say goodbye to him.

I think his best days were the 2005/2006 season in L1. The championship year of 2006/2007 wasn't his best year

Wasnt his best year goal tally wise but he still scored 16 goals in a higher division for a team that didn't win a game in 17 matches.

Its all relative.

EDIT Should have read Angell's post first. Duh.

Bit harsh considering he played up front with Matt Harrold in a side that finished bottom of the league and still scored 16 goals! :unsure:

I think possibly the relegation taints how Freddy played that season. Did he get sent off for some really silly challenge and was banned for 3 or 4 games? That's off topic really but it's in the back of my mind

I think in my heart of hearts, the promotion winning L1 season with Goater and Eastwood is how I'd like to remember Eastwood as well as that play off final. There's a misconception that I don't like Eastwood. I loved how he was in those heady days, he was quick, sharp and scored goals from nothing and that's how I remember him/want to keep remembering him, not how he was the second time round

I think possibly the relegation taints how Freddy played that season. Did he get sent off for some really silly challenge and was banned for 3 or 4 games? That's off topic really but it's in the back of my mind

I think in my heart of hearts, the promotion winning L1 season with Goater and Eastwood is how I'd like to remember Eastwood as well as that play off final. There's a misconception that I don't like Eastwood. I loved how he was in those heady days, he was quick, sharp and scored goals from nothing and that's how I remember him/want to keep remembering him, not how he was the second time round

He got sent off for that push against Huddersfield, the league one champions year.

I agree with that and I think in our heart of hearts that's how most of us will remember him dwb (I certainly will and the promotion DVD's will be getting an airing every now and again!). He wasn't the same player second time around, I don't blame him for that as injuries had certainly caught up with him. He'll always be a club legend in my book though, none of those great times we'll all remember circa 2004-2007 would have happened without him. I doubt we'll see many (if any) better strikers at Southend from here on compared to Freddy first time round, he's up there with Collymore for me. Time to move on and correct decision from PB but he deserves a send-off next week. Good luck to him, and hopefully he'll be back watching Freddy Jnr at the Hall in a few years time. :winking:

Back