• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Freddy turns down Plymouth.

Not the same player anymore unfortunately.

Would upset morale if we took him back. Which we wont anyway.

Shame. Was such a talent.

Would it be fair to say that scoring THAT goal did him more harm than good? Or does Mick McCarthy shoulder some of the blame for our fallen hero.....

I agree it wouldnt be right to bring him back at this moment in time it and doubt we could afford to.

The ideal situation would be he goes on loan to a league 1 side proves his fitness and does reasonably well. Contracts up in the summer and we bring him home.

Its easy to tell Freddy is a confidence player and when he isnt enjoying his football his effort goes out the window. Im not making excuses for him he has wasted his own career. One thing is for sure that he does have talent and if you can get the best out of him you would have one hell of a player at League 1 level.

Not the same player anymore unfortunately.

Would upset morale if we took him back. Which we wont anyway.

Shame. Was such a talent.

Whilst I would not disagree that he is currently not the Freddy we remember, I do think that at 28 years of age he still has time on his side to turn things around - if he wants to. He has hardly played for the last 18 months.
I think with the right man management, fitness programme and attitude he could get back to where he was and if he really wanted it enough perhaps even better than the Freddy of old.

Personally, if we could afford his wages and he had the right work ethic I think he would be worth getting on board.
1) Gate receipts & shirt printing sales would increase.
2) Looking to the future a front line of Harris/Eastwood/Hall/Dickinson & Corr when his back - with Moshni as an added bonus could have the right balance of both experience, enthusiasm and flair to have us pushing at the top half of League One - if that's where we want to be long term?
3) There are many teams who have the player that people think will unsettle the side or be a big time nightmare to manage - a month or so ago some people were saying that about Bilel - but a good Manager realises the benefits of such players often outweigh the negatives and thus work with the player to make this work for both player and team alike.

Lots of Ifs & Buts I know but sometimes you have to take a risk.

Well said Roxy totally agree think most of Freddys problems can be laid at the door of a certain Mick Macarthy who as Roy Keane pointed out is a total k**b

Agree with Roxy, Beardoblue and DtS. With the right motivation Freddy could get back on track and personally, I believe that motivation would be being back on his old stomping ground.

but could we match the £9000 a week he was earning previously ?

Dont think we would need to. He is hardly a premium anymore and with all due respects from what I have read the clubs are hardly fighting over him. Dont think for a second it would happen and we prehaps at this stage dont need to sign anyone as were doing well but I think he is now damaged goods. Lets be honest he has done little since he left us.

If Tilly was still in charge I reckon Eastwood would be back at Roots Hall. This is a different team and a different era, however. I really hope he can get his career back on track.

What are his inury problems,is it just one thing or a number of different ailments.

Well said Roxy. I don't believe that Freddy is finished as a player, I think he's suffered firstly at the hands of McCarthy who is about as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest, and also the upheaval at Coventry, I think they've had 3 or 4 managers in the time he's been there. I think Freddy is one of the players that needs assurance and arm round his shoulders, rather than being constantly harangued.

Realistically he can't come here on what he's allegedly earning at Cov, besides which he can and probably should play at a higher level. Maybe in the future who knows?

I prefer to remember Freddy as he was

Too much has happened both on and off the pitch for him since THAT goal for him to return sadly

If your talented and playing at your level with the right work rate and desire you will do well , move up a few levels which Freddy did and you probably need to work even harder than before and for me regardless of what a t1t MM is this can only lie with one person as to why he is struggling ATM .

Think he would find it hard to come back as can imagine Harris, Corr , Moshini etc are all good trainers on the training pitch putting in the effort , if Freddy sat on the bench here it would do him and SUFC more harm than good .

So a no for me ......that probably gives you a good indication of how well Sturrock has done as teh beginnning of last season 99.9 % of folk would of had Freddy back in a heartbeat .

If Freddy wanted to come here and Sturrock wanted him I don't see wages as a problem. Not that we'd pay what he's on, but if Freddy really does want to resurrect his career and wanted to do it here, then I'm sure Coventry would be happy to cancel the remainder of his contract for him to sign here on a free.

It all comes down to whether Freddy wants it, and whether Sturrock wants it. If both are a yes then I see no real problems.

Is there anyone left at the club on the playing/coaching side from when Eastwood left? if not it's not really like coming home is it?

Back