• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The types of retail units on offer at Fossetts should differ significantly to those in the High Street, both now and the kind they envisage attracting in the future. I don't see why the traders are harping on about free parking at Fossetts, it's totally different shopping experiences.

Spectacular drivel on a biblical scale. Of course it will be free parking. Politics I'm afraid.
High Street traders understanding this will happen and so want to make the best of the situation by using it to attack parking charges.
They have a case in that the way councils have abused the opportunity to charge for parking is a major contributor to High Street decline- more than any stadia. Basically parking charges are a tax on every visit and any junior economist will tell you that that will equal less visitors. Councillors will go into synthetic rage about anything that threatens the high street unless of course its themselves- in which case it all goes very fuzzy and amnesia wages over all..

Yes, that was my initial thought also, I would imagine the retail park would be similar to that of the other typical retail parks such as lakeside etc... Most likely superstore sized shops such as Next Home, Halfords, Furniture Land, DFS, Benson Beds etc etc, so will not harm the small business owner currently operating in and around the high street.
Besides, if anything, I would imagine any non SUFC supporters, that want to go shopping, would pro actively head into the high street on matchdays instead of struggling to find a parking space in Fossetts Farm.

Consumers like free parking which is why large retail parks do well. Possibly the High Street will suffer a little but the public will still be spending in Southend if they use Fossetts Farm.

Free parking will help my new venture since I have, this very night, found the cure for hic-ups. Southend United's future is assured thanks to this medical discovery as is my future lifestyle of excess.

'Mr Dadswell claims he was forced to close the Rayleigh branch of his Toys’n’Tuck business in 2012 because Rochford District Council allowed out-oftown-retailers with free car parking to set up in competition.'

It didn't get any business because the 'out of town retailers' had ten times the floorspace of his shop, free parking barely had anything to do with it.

Many supermarkets and retail park offer free parking so sorry I cant see the traders beef .As far as I can see its just nit picking by traders that are stuggling anyway

Plus Toys n Tuck wasn't very competitive on price nor a particularly appealing place to visit.

Many supermarkets and retail park offer free parking so sorry I cant see the traders beef .As far as I can see its just nit picking by traders that are stuggling anyway

Could'nt have put it better myself.

Its not gonna make an ounce of difference to the high street, even the evening echo and the owner of the record shop conceeded to this point of view.

It seems Mr Dadswell is looking for an excuse to publically blame others for his previous business failure of 4 years ago, even though (should the stadium get the go ahead) wont affect anyone for many many more years to come still.

Wouldn't FF have a private car park, as it's private land ? ie not run by the council ?

Plus you have better choice online,,,

Exactly. Why bother driving to Rayleigh to Toys n Tuck, paying for parking, maybe getting stuck in traffic, and using petrol, when you can order online without any of that extra cost or bother or time, at usually a cheaper price. That's why footfall is down on all High Streets.

It's just the way of the world, these days. Times have moved on, and out of town shopping areas are the future. That is why I think FF has legs !

Yeah, it's definitely the way of the world these days.

You only have to a walk through Grays high street (if your brave enough) these days, to see the effect what an all weather shopping experience and free parking (such as lakeside and it's retail park) has on a typical high street.... Im sure there are many other examples of this all up and down the country, such as Dartford High Street on Bluewater Shopping Centre etc..

Taking Grays as an example, (for those that are unaware) Grays Athletic used to play their home games at the recreation ground, which was within walking distance of the high street, and no doubt the high street owners benefited from the football fans (both home and away) that drank, ate or shopped in the high street, before and after kick off. In my opinion, the high street has fallen into further decline since Grays moved to ground sharing away from the town centre.

My point being that, even with the Fossetts Farm Stadium taken out of the equation, and say the retail park got the "go ahead" it's most likely that the general public would still shop there regardless, due to the larger size stores, leading to more choice and availability of goods and the mentioned free parking. So Mr Dadswell, doesnt really have a genuine point of view in my opinion.

Should Fossetts Farm, however be given the go ahead, with a larger stadium brings the possibility of more success to our club, which should in turn, comes more fans (both home and away), which in turn means the possibility of more revenue for the local high street as well as for the club.
A personal example of this was Boxing Day last year when we were playing Cambridge away, (many thanks Barry Corr.... kinda ironic in hindsight)
anyway, she drove me up to Cambridge, dropped me at the stadium, then within 90 minutes, she managed to spend so much in Cambridge high street in that time, i was seriously considering calling either Bob Geldorf or Lenny Henry for a TV appeal!

In summary, everyone should in theory be a winner. As Ive said before, no non supporting Southend fans, would'nt dream of heading to the Fossetts Farm Retail Park on say around 3pm on a home match day, it just wouldnt be worth the parking hassle, so would head into the high street instead to do thir shop instead.

On a similar note, without wanting to divert from the thread, yet still talking about the future of Fossetts Farm and another Evening Echo article.
I read about the possibility of a bus or coach link / Shuttle service from Westcliff Station to Southend Airport, to alleviate the airport passengers commute during the 26 odd days of engineering work each year on the Greater Anglia line. The article claims that it would take around 10 minutes from station to the airport, so it would be less in terms of journey time if this bus service stopped at Fossetts Farm prior to the airport, and would surely be cheaper than getting a taxi of the same distance (unless in a large group and splitting the cab fare equally). The article also appears to have the backing of Martin Terry, who is the Southend Councillor responsible for Transport.

I think it would be an excellent idea, and another option for both home and away fans to get to the stadium on match days, creating revenue, and most importantly it could possibly reduce the car parking issue around the stadium on match days (or the claim about the parking at Fossets Farm).

I personaly, cant see how any harm can come of it being implemented or trialled at the least to see if it's financially viable.

Anyway, for whom ever is intrested, i have attached the link to the article, which is below:

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/14171587.Rail_firm_c2c_plans_Southend_airport_shuttle_bus/

UTB

Last edited:
Grays town centre is a perfect example. I don't think the shops in Southend town centre are seeing the bigger picture here. Southend shopping is already in decline. We live in Benfleet and I haven't been shopping there for years. Mrs SK always drags me round Basildon or occasionally Lakeside. Why is that ?

If SUFC is successful then more away supporters visit the town, and because it's a seaside town, many stay for the weekend and visit the seafront and attached shopping centre. I think the town and the town centre needs the Stadium and a successful SUFC more than it realises.

I was asked to comment on this, well cornered in to it in fact. Phoned during a busy period and asked what I thought of Fossett's Farm and would it effect the high street, I wasn't asked once about free parking. Either way, I very much doubt anything other than Argos, Halfords and DFS will be there. If people want to come to the high street, they will, free parking or not

Likewise, if all the carparks were free around the high street, there'll be a pretty big parking problem come summer...

Back