• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Friday poll. Parenting

Parents and views/values

• When I became a parent my views on life changed

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • When I became a parent my views on life stayed the same

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I'm not a parents - I reckon my views will change

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I'm not a parents - I reckon my views will stay the same

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Pubey - you need to get out more

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Abstain/Bart/OBL

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
By 'views' I mean things like justice and punishment, capital punishment, fundamental political views etc.

I guess this is trying to get at the 'If you had kids you'd understand' trite bollocks that gets thrown about...

Where is the option "For the sake of the human race, I have decided not to pro-create"?

Where is the option for "What's wrong with the human race, how on earth did [insert name] ever convince someone to let them procreate?"

I guess it's made me think about things in a different light. E.g. I've got twins - a boy and a girl - and I'm acutely aware that they are growing up in a world still dominated by men.

This never really used to bother me - as a white middle class male from Western Europe I've not exactly been dealt a bad hand - but I think about it more and more and I'm absolutely determined that Beth gets the same opportunities as Johnny.

I've recently been reading about the Bechdel Test, which is showing a new light on the TV shows they like. I enjoyed watching this clip too, especially as two of the favourite films in our collection currently are Star Wars and The Wizard Of Oz

[video=youtube;ueOqYebVhtc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ueOqYebVhtc[/video]

I'm trying to swear less too :smile:

Agree with Uncle Leo - having a girl really opens your eyes to how sexist the world is, even if unconsciously. For example, I wanted a few rock band T-shirts for her for Christmas. Now where would I find them? In the boys section of course, 'course all the girls T-shirts have cute animals or fairies on them. :facepalm:

Something as simple as a Mike (from Monsters Inc) toy is apparently a boys toy. Whaaaa? :facepalm:

This is at age 2. Makes me shudder to think what the future holds for her.

Things like this make me swear more :winking:

Agree with Uncle Leo - having a girl really opens your eyes to how sexist the world is, even if unconsciously. For example, I wanted a few rock band T-shirts for her for Christmas. Now where would I find them? In the boys section of course, 'course all the girls T-shirts have cute animals or fairies on them. :facepalm:

Something as simple as a Mike (from Monsters Inc) toy is apparently a boys toy. Whaaaa? :facepalm:

We're buying a few grobags online, and you either have to look for 'boys' or 'girls' - we don't know which gender baby we're having (although Mrs Pubey had a dream that she was in a swimming pool with 1D and they said we're having a boy).

Great post Uncle Leo - that TED video was really interesting.

Definitely changes you and how you look at things. You whole perspective changes on so many levels.

Not sure it affects how you think about justice and punishment etc, unless it relates to children. My opinions on things like that probably change due to getting older more than being a parent.

I have 3 daughters and have told them they all need to be lesbian as I won't allow boys in my house. Middle one has stated 'you can't make me be gay' but she knows the rules and thems the rules.

I have 3 daughters and have told them they all need to be lesbian as I won't allow boys in my house. Middle one has stated 'you can't make me be gay' but she knows the rules and thems the rules.

Haha, I like your style. Though if one day one of them comes home like Hufty you've only got yourself to blame.

I wish my kids were more like Five 5tar but they are a bit on the Aryan side and there's only two of them.

They look more like Dollar than anything else.

Mine didn't change majorly, I already knew about the boy/girl thing as I'd been a tomboy growing up and didn't want EVER to wear the matching dresses my mum often insisted my sister and I should wear if we were going out somewhere!

My daughter wore some of my son's hand-me-downs, we had a lot of neutral stuff anyway, and I see nothing wrong in a bit of blue on girls...only bodysuits and that kind of thing obviously, plus some t-shirts. You have to be practical.

Education and schools becomes a major concern, one of my girls went to Secondary and then into RAF; 2nd girl went Grammer and Uni: But IQ wise not much between them (difference) but a test taken at age 10 had big factor to their lives. And that was so true about discrimination/power/opportunities that are not equal for male/female.

Mine didn't change majorly, I already knew about the boy/girl thing as I'd been a tomboy growing up and didn't want EVER to wear the matching dresses my mum often insisted my sister and I should wear if we were going out somewhere!

My daughter wore some of my son's hand-me-downs, we had a lot of neutral stuff anyway, and I see nothing wrong in a bit of bluon girls...only bodysuits and that kind of thing obviously, plus some t-shirts. You have to be practical.

Neutral clothing is a great idea if you have children of both sexes and want to economize on hand me downs.

I buy all of my children's clothing from Swiss military surplus stores. The special forces balaclavas are particular favourites.

Neutral clothing is a great idea if you have children of both sexes and want to economize on hand me downs.

I buy all of my children's clothing from Swiss military surplus stores. The special forces balaclavas are particular favourites.
My daughters are all quite ugly so if you don't mind I'm going to borrow the balaclava idea

By 'views' I mean things like justice and punishment, capital punishment, fundamental political views etc.

I guess this is trying to get at the 'If you had kids you'd understand' trite bollocks that gets thrown about...

Reminds me of the following quote from Bill Bailey...

“There’s this one celebrity, Rosie O’Donnell, a talk show host, and she said this: “I don’t know anything about Afghanistan, but I know it’s full of terrorists, speaking as a mother.” So what is this “speaking as a mother” then? Is that a euphemism for “talking out of my arse”? “Suspending rational thought for a moment”? As a rational human being, Al-Qaeda are a loose association of psychopathic zealots who could be rounded up with a sustained police investigation. But speaking as a parent, they’re all eight foot tall, they’ve got lasers under their moustaches, a huge eye in their foreheads and the only way to kill them is to NUKE every country that hasn’t sent us a Christmas card in the the last 20 years!! Speaking as a mother.”

In that case I just voted wrong! My views have changed in terms of what is important to me, but not in terms of justice etc.

Back