• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

from the official cambridge website

It certainly says it although it's ominous that there's no mention of it whatsoever on ours. Either Cambridge are talking it up or we won't be too pleased with them for letting slip at such a stage.

If it is true, it's about time to start speculating on the 'undisclosed fee'.

Call me a cynic but, until I see it on our site, I'm not going to take it as done.

makes you wonder. if northampton were intrested in him and we know they have money to burn then how much did we pay? maybe with gate reciepts up and extra money with the ldv ron martin has given the go-ahead to splash out on a new player

If it goes through without a hitch it will be a bit of a tremendous business. Living on the outskirts of Cambridge I know many fans who rate him as the best they have at the present time. He was injured and ill and this has held him up, but as I have mentioned before Tilly has a knack of bringing the best out in players. If he gets the best out of Guttridge we will be flying. Fingers crossed for the morning.

Not necessarily. Luke is both footed and can do a job on the wing, possibly. Gotta be better than Petts on the wing anyway ...

tounge.gif

according to their website he is only 5"6 with him and jay together it will be like kev maher and the diddy men

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bas blue @ Mar. 17 2005,21:54)]looks like the end of jay at the club
I agree. Seems like a statement of intent to me. Jay's a great player but if Guttridge's as good as some reports suggest, he's going to struggle to compete, especially while unfit, and I don't think Smith has the flexibility.

Still, lets not jump to conclusions too early. Most reports suggest that Guttridge can play most places across the midfield and at the very least will keep the midfield on their toes. Quesiton is, who will make way at the moment?

a) Maher: Club captain, manager's favourite and all round hero.
b) Gower: Most creative player in the team. Struggling slightly for fitness.
c) Bentley: Been struggling with form but definitely the biggest physical presence in the midfield.
d) Pettefer: Played every game this season and combative style is clearly held highly by the gaffer.

Any suggestions?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bas blue @ Mar. 17 2005,21:59)]according to their website he is only 5"6 with him and jay together it will be like kev maher and the diddy men
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I don't even know what diddymen are but I can already see an Artful Shrimper modified picture coming!!!!

Reserving judgement here... I wouldn't hold too much faith with what Cambridge are saying, but if a deal has been done, it may have been too late for the Official Site to show the cheesy picture of him signing.

I can't see Jay getting a new contract if this is true... and if it is, it sounds like another good piece of business. He'll probably play his first two or three games in the reserves, then a spell on the bench I think.

We'll see what happens!

I doubt Tilly will get rid of Pettefer, he's played in every game this season and is obviously highly regarded by SUFC's management team.

Sadly, IF this Gutteridge thing is ture, I also reckon it will be Jay on his way out (if anyone). He (although through no fault of his own) is injured too much and has a conditional contract, making him the obvious choice.

Why does anyone have to go??

Surely the point is to have decent players fighting for the positions so that we are guaranteed to have players at their best playing rather than have 4 midfielders with no real competition.

everyones forgetting the fact that we have the transfer window next season so we need a bigger squad. look at the position were in now with injurys we have and suspensions. if this was next season then blewitt, mccormack and guttridge(?) would not be allowed to sign and we would have trouble naming a squad of 16. bringing in guttridge as well as re signing smith is neccessary for next season

Talking to some pretty well-informed Cambridge fans last night they were saying that Gutteridge had to go as he had upset the management at their club. Apparently he believed a deal could have been done for him with Charlton and from that point on he had the hump and didn't want to be at the club. Be interesting to watch how Tilly and Brush manage him.

Absolutely right. The only thing is that Jay will probably be offered less money to stay, perfectly reasonable counting how many games he has played in the last year. We need a bigger squad, but we need players that can come in and do reliable jobs. There is room for Smith as well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFC4EVER @ Mar. 17 2005,23:01)]Petteffer will go im afraid, not enough goals from a midfielder
Thats complete tosh. 'Not enough goals' What sort of indicator is that? Surely you've heard the expression 'playmaker'.

FWIW along with Maher I think he's the most underrated player at the club.

If he's such a bad player then how come Southend are currently 4th in the league with Petts playing in all the games.

Back