• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Games you have missed due to family/mates duty

I very reluctantly missed Gillingham away in August 1987 to attend a good friends Wedding.
After making all the what idiot get's married in the football season remarks to him I agreed to attend.
Having not missed this fixture since the early 70's when the White Coats where worn by a few folk as like in the Clockwork Orange film
I was still annoyed to be missing the game on the day so took my radio to keep to date with score.
We lost 8-1 with even our goal being an OG as I recall so I then gratefully thanked the groom for the invitation as we both drowned our sorrows.

I missed a few last season because of family holidays. 1st game of the season I missed against Peterborough. I missed the Northampton home game on boxing day and the MK Dons away game a couple of days after that. I will hopefully be going to MK away this season .... shame about their comfortable seats ;)

I'm gutted to be missing Saturdays game against Brighton. Its my mates wedding. Wouldn't be so bad, but the weddings is IN Brighton

Home to Doncaster in the season we won League One. We could have clinched promotion that day but some mug called Matt the Shrimp decided to get married so I had to miss it. Lucky for Matt, we lost.

:) I aim to please. Besides, we always seem to lose to Donny Rovers, so it seemed like a good game to choose.

I missed Swansea away (when we got promoted) and Bristol City at home (when we won the title) because I was on my honeymoon. D'oh!

:doh:

Southend vs Swansea at Home, the day Freddy announced himself to the Shrimpers faithful.

Twas the only weekend that family could come down and visit me and the mrs before xmas.

What a game to miss.

Not including holidays, missed the Millwall FA Cup riot due to being on a course, it was only in Ongar but was residential and I wasnt allowed to leave!

Missed the 3-0 win over the Gills season before last as at my mate Martin's wedding in Leigh and will miss the trip to St Mary's as a fellow Shrimper getting married (did he not think to conisder the fixture list, inexcusable! LOL!).

I missed Gillingham at home a couple of years ago (the Leon Clarke debut masterclass) because I was at the worst stag do in the World, up in Liverpool.

From the other end of the spectrum .. i missed my sisters wedding cos we were playing Plymouth at home the same day and i'd not missed a match home or away for over 5 years .. oh and i went to the Barnsley FA Cup replay (with the 25 minute conga) on BLUEBLOOD Juniors birthday .. but seeing as he lives with his mum and i only see him weekends that was acceptable

I missed the home game against Birmingham (Lost 4-0 if I remember rightly) in the Championship season because I was at a mates wedding, which I turned up to late. Four of us (3 Southend, 1 Luton) huddled round a Blackberry watching the scores come through was not fun.

Also, in the same season, I missed the Ipswich home game due to his stag weekend. Luckly we managed to catch Real Madrid vs Barcelona to make up for the disappointment of missing Southend vs Ipswich.

Quite some replacement fixture !!!

It weren't too bad. Especially as we didn't even realise that was the fixture when we booked the stag do (fixtures hadn't been released then).

Managed to start the Freddy Eastwood chant whilst there as well, but only amongst us lot in various places in the ground. Loads of bizarre looks from the Real and Barca fans.

Missed Judas first return with his '' sleeping giants''. Was absolutely gutted. Can imagine the attmosphere must have been electric, especially as he brought half our reserves with him. Think the score was 3.1 or something ...made sure I didn't miss his humbling the next season, but it didn't compensate for missing that first one.

Missed Judas first return with his '' sleeping giants''. Was absolutely gutted. Can imagine the attmosphere must have been electric, especially as he brought half our reserves with him. Think the score was 3.1 or something ...made sure I didn't miss his humbling the next season, but it didn't compensate for missing that first one.

One of the best atmosphere's I can remember at Roots Hall!

One of the best atmosphere's I can remember at Roots Hall!

Thanks BA, I feel even worse now. Good job I can't remember who or what was responsible for making me miss it, I'd probably still bear them a grudge. Probably the one most single game in history where the fans demanded we win it. And the boys didn't disappoint.

Thanks BA, I feel even worse now. Good job I can't remember who or what was responsible for making me miss it, I'd probably still bear them a grudge. Probably the one most single game in history where the fans demanded we win it. And the boys didn't disappoint.

Yeah, don't mean to rub it in any more but that's up there as one of my greatest ever Roots Hall moments (with beating West Ham, Man Utd and winning League One).

The North Bank was a baying mob that day vs Brum .. the most hostile i can remember a Southend crowd to be honest

Back