• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Gary Rowett expects Adam Barrett to stay at Millwall despite links to Southend United

Trouble is a Fagan appointment wouldn't excite me ....what do we know about him personality wise?So he's been here about 3 years and coached our youngsters.....and ?
Barrett on the other hand we know his character and passion for the club,so immediately I have a connection with everything he would try and do from day one.
The thing is how strong is that passion for the club in deed not word?

If he wanted to come he would tell the Millwall hierarchy that he wants to at least talk to us, and through Tilly Ron would know he is keen. I get the feeling that whilst Tilly is encouraging Ron to approach Millwall, from AB's point of view that desire and passion to manage Southend might not be meeting the necessary threshold for him at this point.

Fagan wants the job, has applied, and apparently has also now had talks. Ron knows him well by now, as do others at the club now and recently who have worked with him- and whether he ticks the young, ambitious, passionate boxes. The feedback appears very good. I also look at the way our youngsters played and expressed themselves on the pitch, took their opportunity, and played themselves with passion and commitment at least when called upon last year. I also look at the way the players appear to like and respect him.

With all our managers the excitement period is very short and the reality period very long. After the first 10 games of next season the only thing that will count in terms of how excited we are will be league position and the style of football that got us there.. whoever the manager is.

Trouble is a Fagan appointment wouldn't excite me ....what do we know about him personality wise?So he's been here about 3 years and coached our youngsters.....and ?
Barrett on the other hand we know his character and passion for the club,so immediately I have a connection with everything he would try and do from day one.

I think Fagan is an exciting managerial prospect. He arguably has a stronger track record than Steve Tilson did when he first took over at Southend all those years ago.

It is unrealistic of the Chairman to expect Adam Barrett to resign to simply be considered for the Southend job. No one, including the Chairman, would resign from a position unless they had a firm offer alternative offer of employment.

I agree. Ron's not always very realistic however.

As I said Ron was not happy that he accepted the Millwall caretakers job after his interview at SUFC.

Therefore in my opinion Ron would want him to make some commitment by resigning to show he is serious.

I don't think it will happen and we dont even know if AB wants the job this time as much as I would love to see him in charge. Does anyone know if he has applied?

Adam has a young family to consider also and however much he loves Southend I imagine will have to balance up the financial security side of things - unlike Sol he won't have made huge amounts of money from his playing career in the lower leagues.

Kent B said.....Fagan wants the job, has applied, and apparently has also now had talks. Ron knows him well by now, as do others at the club now and recently who have worked with him- and whether he ticks the young, ambitious, passionate boxes. The feedback appears very good. I also look at the way our youngsters played and expressed themselves on the pitch, took their opportunity, and played themselves with passion and commitment at least when called upon last year. I also look at the way the players appear to like and respect him.

Feedback very good .....who's feedback?
Youngsters a product of Ricky Duncan? Did Sol help with development?
Played with passion and commitment......When given your opportunity the very least I would expect.

Sorry this is not a dig ,but what I'm looking for is what is causing this Fagan love in and what is so exciting about him?.What is so special about him ....apart from he's cheap and he's spent 18 months with the youngsters and has no managerial experience.
Comparing Tilson is difficult as Ron gave him a trial in the position before giving him the job.

I'm sure Dick Bate and Peter Morris ticked a few boxes years ago and even Kevin Bond.

Whoever gets this gig needs to be special ......we desperately need another Sturrock who some how managed to assemble a team from thin air.
Without his experience and contacts which doesn't come with just youth we would have crashed out the league .

Last edited:
I think Adam Barrett's decision-making could be shaped significantly by whether he becomes Gary Rowett's No 2. on a permanent basis.

If it becomes clear that Rowett wants to appoint his own person as assistant manager, Barrett may decide - if offered the Southend job - that being Southend's manager outweighs being in a better paid and more secure No. 3 position at Millwall.

I think Adam Barrett's decision making should be seriously questioned if he agreed to leave Millwall to take over here.

Kent B said.....Fagan wants the job, has applied, and apparently has also now had talks. Ron knows him well by now, as do others at the club now and recently who have worked with him- and whether he ticks the young, ambitious, passionate boxes. The feedback appears very good. I also look at the way our youngsters played and expressed themselves on the pitch, took their opportunity, and played themselves with passion and commitment at least when called upon last year. I also look at the way the players appear to like and respect him.

Feedback very good .....who's feedback?
Youngsters a product of Ricky Duncan? Did Sol help with development?
Played with passion and commitment......When given your opportunity the very least I would expect.

Sorry this is not a dig ,but what I'm looking for is what is causing this Fagan love in and what is so exciting about him?.What is so special about him ....apart from he's cheap and he's spent 18 months with the youngsters and has no managerial experience.
Comparing Tilson is difficult as Ron gave him a trial in the position before giving him the job.

I'm sure Dick Bate and Peter Morris ticked a few boxes years ago and even Kevin Bond.

Whoever gets this gig needs to be special ......we desperately need another Sturrock who some how managed to assemble a team from thin air.
Without his experience and contacts which doesn't come with just youth we would crashed out the league .
Ron will realise that the role at present is far more challenging than
the past lot of managers have faced.less money to spend a squad that needs building and a club that's hit rock bottom.all with the
Uncertainty of the present climate. The wrong appointment would take us into non league.

Interesting views on the Millwall forum generally they believe he wont get the assistants job as Rowett wants an experienced one and Adam doesn't have experience at that level.Also some think Millwall offer job security in comparison with Southend which is in question,un less of course Ron can persuade Adam to take the plunge

I think Adam Barrett's decision making should be seriously questioned if he agreed to leave Millwall to take over here.
If he is not going to get the Assistant job at Millwall, and will continue in a third in line coaching role then it simply tells us how much he really wants to be Southend manager. Actions verses words.

Its all very well talking about job security but Rowett has seen things rapidly turn bad before and there is nothing to say he wont be sacked in a few months and Adam goes with him -nature of football management. If Adam really, really does want to be Southend manager you take the chance when its there. At the same time there is nothing wrong with being a supporter, very fond of the club, but from a professional point of view not that fond..

Ron will realise that the role at present is far more challenging than
the past lot of managers have faced.less money to spend a squad that needs building and a club that's hit rock bottom.all with the
Uncertainty of the present climate. The wrong appointment would take us into non league.
Agree- but then Ron knew all this before he said he wants a young, hungry manager. He didn't come out and say we need experience to get us out of where we are.

Agree- but then Ron knew all this before he said he wants a young, hungry manager. He didn't come out and say we need experience to get us out of where we are.
I agree with you but Ron proven to have a habit of getting it wrong

We might have a connection with Barrett but the players don't, they're going to be far more familiar with Fagan (especially the kids who we'll be relying on this season if only a few senior players come in).

I agree with you but Ron proven to have a habit of getting it wrong
Correct of course. But, if we're being fair, he has just as much habit of getting it very right. So many appointments ultimately end in failure but it's difficult to argue that Tilson and Brush, Sturrock, Brown and early-Powell weren't exactly what the club needed at the time. Even while Sol will be considered a misstep, it's difficult to imagine any manager would've been the right one in the last six months. Even Sol served a purpose in overseeing a clearing out of problem elements, overpaid assets and a lack of fitness and commitment.

We might have a connection with Barrett but the players don't, they're going to be far more familiar with Fagan (especially the kids who we'll be relying on this season if only a few senior players come in).
The players are probably as familiar with ricky duncan, sol campbell and the chap that cleans the toilets, that doesnt mean they should be manager. Any manager will do his homework on his new squad and after watching a few training sessions will know what they are dealin with.

No matter how you slice it, fagan is a gamble at a time when we are close to the trap door.

After the worst season weve had we need something to bring us all together, or a paul sturrock. Barrett and maher are a gamble too but you can at least be sure we go down fighting if we did.

I'm not touting Fagan as a replacement, if he is chosen fine, but I don't know why his inexperience should rule him out to some. Karl Robinson is an example. Never played league football and still got to be a manager at 29. Has a promotion and a few near misses under his belt. Maybe Fagan could do as well. Who knows?

The players are probably as familiar with ricky duncan, sol campbell and the chap that cleans the toilets, that doesnt mean they should be manager. Any manager will do his homework on his new squad and after watching a few training sessions will know what they are dealin with.

No matter how you slice it, fagan is a gamble at a time when we are close to the trap door.

After the worst season weve had we need something to bring us all together, or a paul sturrock. Barrett and maher are a gamble too but you can at least be sure we go down fighting if we did.

Surely no one is suggesting Fagan as a manager simply on his familiarity? I’d think it’s more to do with his record and reputation at the club that he’s worked at for over a year as well as a playing career of x amount of hundred FL games?

of course he’s nearer the top of the list than he would be ordinarily but with the financial climate as it is, what do you suggest, a hefty compensation package for Maher who essentially has done the same level of coaching and is similar in his risk of success / failure? Or does Maher carry less risk because he is an ex player?

maybe Maher doesnt fancy it? Maybe he remembers the times he had to ask his family not to come and watch him play because of the abuse he was getting?

maher, Barrett and Fagan all carry the same risk in my eyes. None of them have managed at first team level before, all have good playing experience in the FL, all have been an assistant or a development manager.

But Fagan is the only one not requiring paying comp. if you’re taking a risk may as well take the one that costs less!

I don't see how Barrett is less of a gamble just because the fans know who he is or why that would mean the players would be more likely to work hard because of it, plenty of failed managers are passionate but have no idea how to get the players believing in themselves. I'm not completely opposed to Barrett coming but he's no less of a gamble than Fagan would be to me.

I don't see how Barrett is less of a gamble just because the fans know who he is or why that would mean the players would be more likely to work hard because of it, plenty of failed managers are passionate but have no idea how to get the players believing in themselves. I'm not completely opposed to Barrett coming but he's no less of a gamble than Fagan would be to me.
I agree, no less of a gamble. But if we are rolling the dice, lets do it with a bit of love. If it goes bad with either its bad either way.

But if it goes well with barrett or maher we might just get close to how much fun it was with tilly

Back