• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers 🍤 ⭐
Just saw this bit of news on the Sky Sports website that got me thinking:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11719_6635800,00.html

Sturrock stated at the Q & A he was one of our transfer targets during the Summer, but returned to Stockport on loan as he'd enjoyed his time there last season.

Now, with his loan due to expire, and with Plymouth keen to sell are we likely to be sniffing around again? With rumours we bid money for Benyon at Torquay, and with Grant looking like he will be sold during January, I just wonder if Sturrock will return to his old club with a bid for Donnelly.

Scored goals last season, and has already got 8 this season in a struggling team. Fill he'd be a useful addition to the side, and he certainly knows where the back of the net is.

Thoughts?

I think thats a good shout! i certainly wouldnt mind him at the Hall. However, I cant help worrying that IF we sell Grant, we will need a midfield playmaker and we are likley to have to pay money for one so it rather depends on the budget as to whether we go for a striker as well........

If we are in for a striker, then we could certainly do a lot worse. I would be surprised if this chap was not on the PS radar anymore.

yeh bit of a strange on this, seen donnelly play a few times over the last two years and dont really look that good at all but knows where the goal is and is a good goalscorer at league two.

To be honest, I wasn't impressed with him at Roots Hall when we played them at the start of the season, but he did score their goal eventually i suppose!

Hi all, first post on SZ after several months of viewing.
I feel this would be a very good signing for us as he is a very good player at this level and could probably play in League 1. He has goals in him as well so would be a great player in our team

I know nothing about Donnelly but hope you are right that if it comes to pass he'll be a good signing.

However before we get ahead of ourselves with potential new recruits the impact of the likely loss of Grant for a relatively small fee should NOT be underestimated. I'm sure most will agree (apart from his shooting!) he was head and shoulders above anybody on the pitch Monday (as he has been for much of the season) and PS will have his work cut out if he is able to replace him and significantly strengthen other areas of the park for the paltry fee that has been quoted on this forum.

I personally thought PS missed a trick at the beginning of the season when he didn't give Grant the captaincy. I think he would have thrived on the responsibility, it might have matured him as a person and one suspects helped him improve his disciplinary record. It would also have recognised his ongoing loyalty to the club and in respect of a public relations exercise met those cynics at the pass who thought PS only had faith in Plymouth and Swindon stiffs.

I know nothing about Donnelly but hope you are right that if it comes to pass he'll be a good signing.

However before we get ahead of ourselves with potential new recruits the impact of the likely loss of Grant for a relatively small fee should NOT be underestimated. I'm sure most will agree (apart from his shooting!) he was head and shoulders above anybody on the pitch Monday (as he has been for much of the season) and PS will have his work cut out if he is able to replace him and significantly strengthen other areas of the park for the paltry fee that has been quoted on this forum.

I personally thought PS missed a trick at the beginning of the season when he didn't give Grant the captaincy. I think he would have thrived on the responsibility, it might have matured him as a person and one suspects helped him improve his disciplinary record. It would also have recognised his ongoing loyalty to the club and in respect of a public relations exercise met those cynics at the pass who thought PS only had faith in Plymouth and Swindon stiffs.

This time last year, Grant was on 11 bookings.

By giving him the responsibility of the captaincy, how many bookings do you think you could have reduced this to?

Donnelly must be a decent player to have scored as many goals as he has for a terrible Stockport side.

Fleetwood Town seem optimistic about signing him.

Don't get me wrong, losing Grant is going to be a massive blow as he is our best player without doubt, but I wonder if it may help the TEAM.

Sturrock has pointed out that its very hard to keep our shape with Granty hassling and harrying players all over the pitch, leaving Easton exposed in the middle of the park. If we was to bring it someone, say Timlin, who stuck to his position, and obviously offers us something on the ball as well, I wonder if it would make us a better side, and harder to beat.

I'll be devestated when Grant leaves, but some times the best teams don't contain the best players. Look at Blackpool as an example. Bar Charlie Adam, who else would get into any other Premiership side? They certainly don't have the best players, but by playing as a team, keeping their shape etc its contributing to a fantastic season for them.

On the topic of Donnelly. He is a goalscorer, and I think having him alongside Corr could give us the extra dimension upfront that people have been calling for.

So far his goalscoring record is:

2007 - 2009 Skelmersdale United 36 goals in 45.
2009 - Current Plymouth Argyle 0 in 2.
2009 - Luton Town 0 in 4.
2009 - 2010 Stockport County 4 in 19.
2010 - 2011 Stockport County 8 in 23.

Hope your right BoyWonder2 we could do with another dimension or two ! In fact will be interesting to see how Blackpool fair for the second half of the season too once Charlie Adam leaves which i understand will happen in January as well. We'll have two opportunities to test your theory I guess !!

Just saw this bit of news on the Sky Sports website that got me thinking:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11719_6635800,00.html

Sturrock stated at the Q & A he was one of our transfer targets during the Summer, but returned to Stockport on loan as he'd enjoyed his time there last season.

Now, with his loan due to expire, and with Plymouth keen to sell are we likely to be sniffing around again? With rumours we bid money for Benyon at Torquay, and with Grant looking like he will be sold during January, I just wonder if Sturrock will return to his old club with a bid for Donnelly.

Scored goals last season, and has already got 8 this season in a struggling team. Fill he'd be a useful addition to the side, and he certainly knows where the back of the net is.

Thoughts?

Those 2 are probably linked. Without money for Grant I doubt we'll be paying for anyone.

For what it's worth, I overheard someone say that Swansea are sniffing around Grant, and are prepared to pay about £250,000.

Those 2 are probably linked. Without money for Grant I doubt we'll be paying for anyone.

For what it's worth, I overheard someone say that Swansea are sniffing around Grant, and are prepared to pay about £250,000.

Your right. We simply don't have the money to be throwing it around, so we have to await money coming into us before we even think about paying a fee for anybody.

£250k? Yes please.

Just read in the Western Morning News that Plymouth have accepted a bid of 50k for Donnelly from Fleetwood Town !!!!!!!! and that Steveage are also interested in him - no go for us then :nope:

What happens if/when these teams are promoted to League 2. Surely the wage bills will exceed the league 2 wage/turnover rules.
I am thinking of Crawley who are paying Josh Simpson wages that we could not afford but have smaller attendances.

Back