• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Gillingham 3-0 Southend United

Not defending the indefensible but I do want to comment on the awful mauling Laurent was getting from whoever the Gills player was who was marking him. Guy almost twisted his head off his body at one point, and the ref was giving him nothing, he was a blatant homer. The linesman to our left was also terrible, giving clear decisions the wrong way.

Just a comment too on changing the defensive line up yet again, how are they expected to play as a unit if they keep getting chopped and changed. I'd have left Franno at RB and started O'Keefe on the wing, I didn't really understand the need to bring Sankofa in. Yes Barrett worked hard, but I still have a concern that he unsettles everyone else, surely it's no coincidence that the only game we've won this year he didn't play in?

Finally, when are we going to risk having Paterson, Vernon and Spencer up top together considering we HAVE to go for wins now? Then you just bring Crawford on for any one of them when necessary.

Mildy - 5, 2 very good saves, but I question a keeper who concedes 3 again, very slow off his line
Sankofa - 5, got forward a lot, overlapping with Franno but there's no benefit if he can't do anything with it on the edge of the box
Baldwin - 5, him and Barrett seemed to get pulled out of position far too often, normally solid but didn't look it yesterday, maybe it's getting to him now
Barrett - 6.5, almost wanted to see him in CM as that seems to be where he's been playing a lot lately! Some very good defensive blocks
Herd - 5, didn't really notice him much, had his hands full with the runners I think
Franno - 6, did ok here and covered Sankofa
Grant - 6.5 (MotM...just), 1st half was not good but decided to try and get to grips in the 2nd, made some forays, fell over a few times and won some free kicks. Almost earned another booking though as well
JFC - 4, him and Grant didn't click at all, didn't bring anything that O'Keefe couldn't have done better
Laurent - 4, sorry Franny, love you normally but this was shocking although he was being physically manhandled and constantly fouled
Vernon - 6, worked very hard, also subjected to some quite physical "handling"
Spencer - 5, ok, who's told Screech to play a game that is not in his nature? That's two games now where his style of play has changed and he and we are missing out on his natural ability as a result. Give him back his free rein and let him terrorise defences.

Subs:
Paterson (Spencer); O'Keefe (Christophe); Crawford (Laurent) all 6s, all did well when they came on, let's give them more of a go. At least they played with something approaching passion.

Officials - 3, blatant homers, far too few bookings for the dirty cynical tackles coming in from Gills players.

Ground - big fat zero, what a **** hole it is for away fans. How the hell it passes h&s standards I'll never know, my dad nearly went arse over tit on the way down at the end and I saw several other, much younger, people also slip. And why couldn't we sit anywhere? Ridiculous.

I have never felt so dejected in 30 years of watching the blues as I did after today's game. Spineless and awful - that is all. When 2 youth team players look like the only 2 on the pitch trying it says something about the spirit at the club.

I can take a lack of quality if they would put in some effort. Christophe and Laurent should not play again this season - whatever the injury or suspension situation. It's time to play with passion and O'Keefe looked really up for it when he came on.

Poor all round and a real waste of an afternoon, money and petrol

Summed up my feelings perfectly. I have spent probably £120 odd quid in the past two days watching Southend and the money may as well have been burnt for the amount of enjoyment I have had.

I dont mind losing but I cant accept players not caring and thats how I felt after yesterdays performance.

Last edited:
Back