• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Gillingham 3-1 Southend United

Were you there ? He was one of very few that tried today, he actually did well in the short time he was on and their player conned the ref for the second yellow.
On the pitch for 11 mins and received two yellow cards, sounds mustard

Just back ... Ok yes, they had several chances including the Oxley saves .. missed pens and one blatant free header just wide. If it wasn’t for Ox ... goodness me. Yes we made it way too easy for them as we’ve done all season. I wasn’t overwhelmed by Hamilton but he showed glimpses. Isaac is lacking confidence, Macca has lost a yard of pace going forward but did great covering Elvis at times. Elvis way too soft in the tackle. We still weren’t anywhere near tight enough to them generally and allowed them way too much room especially on the edge of the box. Milligan needs to impose himself way way more. But.... I thought they were better than last week, I thought a few had alright games. Acquah coming on gave them something to think about (shame he couldn’t be a tad more composed, but give the kid a break) as did using Shaughnessy as a makeshift striker. That gave me a bit of a laugh and I’d have loved him to have buried one. Cox and Humps seemed more interested and were bringing others in. I mean we didn’t even have a bl**dy shot on target last week and showed nothing. In summary it was still dog awful but slightly less so .. I didn’t have the feeling of despair I had last week. Tin hat on.

Just back ... Ok yes, they had several chances including the Oxley saves .. missed pens and one blatant free header just wide. If it wasn’t for Ox ... goodness me. Yes we made it way too easy for them as we’ve done all season. I wasn’t overwhelmed by Hamilton but he showed glimpses. Isaac is lacking confidence, Macca has lost a yard of pace going forward but did great covering Elvis at times. Elvis way too soft in the tackle. We still weren’t anywhere near tight enough to them generally and allowed them way too much room especially on the edge of the box. Milligan needs to impose himself way way more. But.... I thought they were better than last week, I thought a few had alright games. Acquah coming on gave them something to think about (shame he couldn’t be a tad more composed, but give the kid a break) as did using Shaughnessy as a makeshift striker. That gave me a bit of a laugh and I’d have loved him to have buried one. Cox and Humps seemed more interested and were bringing others in. I mean we didn’t even have a bl**dy shot on target last week and showed nothing. In summary it was still dog awful but slightly less so .. I didn’t have the feeling of despair I had last week. Tin hat on.
Absolutely no need for a tin hat. You went to the game, you've given me and others a report of what you saw and thought, so thanks from someone that wasn't there and didn't listen to it on the radio.

I agree with what you say L-S. Thought the 10 mins that Acquah was on
up front was our best period. He was a bit naive to get the second yellow but the Gills guy made an awful lot of it. The best part for me was Ox's mind games with their pen taker to make him mess up 2 efforts in a few minutes!

L-S , no need for a tin hat. It is what it is and we are in the mire.
Yup, we sure are. It’s going to be a long hard winter. Having this manager situation sorted will hopefully help.
I agree with what you say L-S. Thought the 10 mins that Acquah was on
up front was our best period. He was a bit naive to get the second yellow but the Gills guy made an awful lot of it. The best part for me was Ox's mind games with their pen taker to make him mess up 2 efforts in a few minutes!
He certainly got it both barrels from the Rainham End when Gillingham got their 3rd!

Interesting game ....

We are still starting with 4 attacking players - surrendering midfield completely and exposing the back 4 all game.

It is so STUPID .... basically the kid Hamilton and the old lumbering Milligan are completely over run.. every egging week. WHY are we doing this ?

If we had done the right thing last season and had appointed Evans we would not be in the mess we are in now!

Yet again we travelled in numbers, 704 a decent effort under the circumstances. First half poor and in the end a deflected shot gave them a deserved lead. Oxley had already made 3 or 4 good stops. Once again the midfield seemed to run around a lot but neither helped defensively or provided any support for the frustrated front two.

Second half couldn't have started worse and of course an ex shrimper scored. To GW credit he changed things around, Hutchinson again looked out if his depth. Emile came on and all of a sudden we looked to be more positive, Cox scored and there was some hope. We pushed Gills back and got in the front foot. Emiles first booking, yes he clattered the lad but he only had eyes on the ball. The second yellow was a daft tackle but he was only trying to block the ball and The Gills lad made a meal out it, Emile never touched him. At that point it was up hill. Both penalties from our view looked dubious, the second for sure looked like a dive. Justice that both weren't scored.

The third goal killed the game and possible was down to Oxley, but to be fair he played well. Thought Cox, Elvis, Macca all put in a shift. Humphrys seemed to be waiting for things to happen rather than make things happen. The midfield huffed and puffed with little affect. Kiernan and Lennon did ok against some tricky Gills forwards.

But again on the day we weren't good enough. Are we good enough to stay up, bizarrely I think we are. I still believe there are enough games and points to turn this around. But this will come down to who is in charge and when we get them. It's still possible but the appt needs to be right and done quickly. Wimbledon and Tranmere coming up and both winnable

GARY Waddock does not want Southend United’s heads to drop following this afternoon’s 3-1 defeat at Gillingham.

More...

Another armchair expert scapegoating a young lad, well done
I’m sorry I cannot believe someone is backing the performance of a player who played 11 mins and managed to get two yellows.

How did his performance positively impact today’s game? What part of his performance warrants him making more appearances?

Another armchair expert scapegoating a young lad, well done

It’s the easiest job in the world.....you don’t even have to have any football knowledge let alone compassion or understanding of human beings....let alone teenagers!!!

I’m sorry I cannot believe someone is backing the performance of a player who played 11 mins and managed to get two yellows.

How did his performance positively impact today’s game? What part of his performance warrants him making more appearances.

The thing that will warrant more appearances more than anything will be his capacity to learn from mistake, to grow as a human being and develop as a footballer.....

Thought we were awful. Milligan legs gone Hamilton too young inexperienced and naive for the battles we are facing. Oxley consistently routed to his line, Cox deciding to play just wherever he wants apart from partnering Humphreys upfront a midfield so poor we are overrun every week, unfit, absolutely no team spirit sees the club heading in only one direction. Sorry but Larsson hasn’t a clue about this league and surely if appointed will take us down. Have grown to appreciate Ron Martin and his input into the club over the past few years, but he really has turned us into laughing stock and if Larsson, will prove a clueless appointment.
Really needs a Barrett character to galvanise the squad and bring team spirit back.
So sad to see the squad as poor as this with most of them wishing they were somewhere else.

We need a manager who will know league 2 and how to get out of it as that is where we are undoubtedly heading. One positive is that nearly every player is out of contract come 2020 and we can have a sturrock-esque rebuild.
Think we have a caretaker mnger who knows how to get us out of league 1 , also we recently sacked two managers they knew how to get us out off league one , albeit not the exit door we wanted.

GARY Waddock does not want Southend United’s heads to drop following this afternoon’s 3-1 defeat at Gillingham.

More...
I think when the chairman makes the decision on the next manager , the next manager should be first to know not the supporters

Back