• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bit of a cliché, but if the ref says its a penalty then...............................

Obviously I was up the other end, but when the referee blew his whistle, I thought it was for handball. To be fair, not even the Gillingham fans really shouted for it, so I think they were equally as surprised as us when the ref pointed to the spot. & it took an age to be taken.

Penalty aside though, I have to admit the other 2 goals Gillingham scored were pure class. As apose to ours which were more luck then judgement (although Kightly's turn and finish was good).

There might be a cast against that penalty. I'm no referee, but I thought the penalty taker isn't allowed to follow up with the rebound? Maybe someone can confirm that?

To me, that ball doesn't look over the line but he still pokes it home because a defender is chasing in. So if that were the rule, that would be the rebound. It's a shame there's no goal line technology to know that it wasn't over the line - not that anything can be done now???

So at the end of the season the records will show it wasn't really a penalty? It doesn't look worthy to me from the vid, but that doesn't matter at all because the ref gave it.

MK wasn't saying that it doesn't count as a penalty, he was saying that in his view it shouldn't have been a penalty. So people aren't allowed to give an opinion on penalties now, as in your eyes, if it's awarded or not awarded, that's all that counts.

MK wasn't saying that it doesn't count as a penalty, he was saying that in his view it shouldn't have been a penalty. So people aren't allowed to give an opinion on penalties now, as in your eyes, if it's awarded or not awarded, that's all that counts.

Yeah, I got that TSNB, the point I was trying to make was that it really doesn't matter what any of us think. I wasn't trying to say that MK's opinion doesn't count and I don't understand why you should have the hump over it.

There might be a cast against that penalty. I'm no referee, but I thought the penalty taker isn't allowed to follow up with the rebound? Maybe someone can confirm that?

To me, that ball doesn't look over the line but he still pokes it home because a defender is chasing in. So if that were the rule, that would be the rebound. It's a shame there's no goal line technology to know that it wasn't over the line - not that anything can be done now???

That's only if the ball rebounds off the woodwork before another player touches it. Basically another player from any team has to touch the ball before the penalty taker touches it again

Soft penalty. Two years in a row at Priestfield the home team has benefited from a dodgy penalty.

Yeah, I got that TSNB, the point I was trying to make was that it really doesn't matter what any of us think. I wasn't trying to say that MK's opinion doesn't count and I don't understand why you should have the hump over it.

I haven't got the hump over it, I just find it strange that a mod would take that view. It's a bit like saying that we shouldn't discuss things on here or have an opinion, because only the end of the season figures count, and that's it. There would be no point having the forum if we all thought like that.

I haven't got the hump over it, I just find it strange that a mod would take that view. It's a bit like saying that we shouldn't discuss things on here or have an opinion, because only the end of the season figures count, and that's it. There would be no point having the forum if we all thought like that.

My opinions are normally offered as an ordinary poster. I only mod when there is an issue over SZ rules. I offered an opinion as an a normal poster here and I'm sorry that you feel the way you do over it, but if that's the way you feel then I doubt there's any anything I say will change it. I don't agree with what you're saying, but as you say different opinions are what make the Zone an interesting place.

My opinions are normally offered as an ordinary poster. I only mod when there is an issue over SZ rules. I offered an opinion as an a normal poster here and I'm sorry that you feel the way you do over it, but if that's the way you feel then I doubt there's any anything I say will change it. I don't agree with what you're saying, but as you say different opinions are what make the Zone an interesting place.

Bit of an over reaction from TSNB in my opinion, it doesn't matter whether you're a mod or not eveyone's entitled to an opinion. As long as it doesn't become ridicule I've got no problem.

IMO your dead right Rootshallbloke, if the ref says it's a pen then you have to deal with it. Too many of our players were sulking at the decision. Paul Clark had a point, if just one had anticipated the save then the Gills striker perhaps wouldn't have had such an easy follow up.

It's irrelevant what any of us think after the event. The ref gave it, soft or not. Be nice to RHB, he hasn't had his morning biscuit yet.

It's difficult to tell from the endless replays I've run.......... but to me I can see why the penalty was given.

Just watched the highlights on Youtube which are always longer. Quality finish by Kightly and yes Theo dangled a leg. If you freeze it then both players are doing the same and Theo didn't actually touch him.

Interesting to see that break again by McG. The much better option would have been to MAF rather than outside to Kightly. Still MAF was hardly bursting a gut and demanding it.

Back