• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ginger Nuts

Napster

No ⭐
Kitson sees red over ginger jibes

Reading striker Dave Kitson has hit out at the club and supporters for organising a "ginger day" tribute for Saturday's final home game of the season against West Brom.

Fans are planning to wear ginger wigs and orange t-shirts as a tribute to flame-haired Kitson and his ginger-haired team-mate Steve Sidwell.

Reading have been encouraging supporters to participate in the occasion and even announced that a local shop will sell ginger wigs at a discount.

But Kitson has accused the club of being "discourteous" by failing to ask his permission.

"I have spent all of my time going to places like Ninian Park and the New Den just getting harassed about the colour of my hair to the point where you want to fight back.

"So the last thing I need is 15,000 people, all in ginger wigs, drawing attention to it," he said.

"What would happen if it was two black players? Would the club ask the fans to do the same thing? It does cause offence to me and I would like to thank the club for not even asking me if I minded.

"I feel they should have had the courtesy of asking me.

"I know the fans mean well and it's all in fun. I hope they enjoy themselves but from my point of view it's something I can do without," Kitson told Reading's Evening Post.

someone get out the wrong side of bed or is it just coz he is ginger!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ April 29 2004,13:57)]Shall we organise a big eyebrows day in honour of Kevin Maher?
We'd have to wear Monkey's on our heads. I sometimes wonder if Kev's (Maher not General) has slid of his eyes the way he plays!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ April 29 2004,15:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ April 29 2004,13:57)]Shall we organise a big eyebrows day in honour of Kevin Maher?
We'd have to wear Monkey's on our heads. I sometimes wonder if Kev's (Maher not General) has slid of his eyes the way he plays!

tounge.gif
Wahaaaaay - I'm off to Ladbrokes - they quoted me 2-1 for Dave posting something about Maher on this thread before 16.30.
laugh.gif

Hmm he seems to have a point.

But if his hair brings him such upset, he should just dye it a different colour that doesn't shout "Abuse me, I'm a ginga!"

His ginger team-mate Sidwell certainly didn't seem too bothered, managed to pop up and score. however he did raise an extremely good point regarding the black players.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Notts Shrimper @ May 01 2004,22:56)]His ginger team-mate Sidwell certainly didn't seem too bothered, managed to pop up and score. however he did raise an extremely good point regarding the black players.
rock.gif

I don't get it. Wouldn't it be OK to have for instance a dreadlock day if two of your players had dreadlocks? This is absolutely not a race issue, and I don't know why Kitson is even saying it.

He has given it both barrels tho, now he has upset his own fans and told away fans that yes, he is a little bit sensitive about his hair. Maybe he hopes that they will get the message and go easy on him now?

the way i see it, he's saying that the club are exposing him and his team-mate for something that is different about him...something which is found acceptable, however were it to have been about the colour of his skin then there would have been a pretty hostile reaction. it is a bit of moaning for very little, but i guess he's offended by it just as much as a black player would be if the same scenario had happened to him. that's my interpretation of it at least, i may be, and probably am, completely wrong, but it's 1.29am and i've been reading about brazilian slavery from 9am and im absolutely fecking knackered!
ghostface.gif

He must feel really strongly about this, as it has been done in the past, wigs etc. However his point about black players is pretty true. Say they don't have any distinguishing features such as ginger hair, how will they be celebrated?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ May 02 2004,09:48)]He must feel really strongly about this, as it has been done in the past, wigs etc.  However his point about black players is pretty true.  Say they don't have any distinguishing features such as ginger hair, how will they be celebrated?
They won't - a circular arguement, I think. It's the very fact that they do have a (none racial stereotype) distinguishing feature that gives the fans a hook to hang their celebrations on. Also, this (as I understand it) is a show of "unity" for want of a better word, not mockery.

Two examples (which may get shot down
biggrin.gif
)

Hendrik Larson - didn't the Celtic fans wear dreadlocks in his honour?

The Coventry manager who was bald - wasnt there a thing about wearing baldie wigs?

The point I am trying to make is that this is done because the fans want to identify with their hero's, not ridicule them.

I vote: Ginger Whinger!!

FWIW, I'm gingerish, and couldn't give a sh*t what people say about my hair. If I was Dave Kitson, I'd be loving every second of it, but I do think that people should realise his point about what if he was black?

So if the 20 or so strong crowd that turn up at Roots Hall on Sunday for the 11 aside tournament( good plug there) all turn up in Gazza style big breasts and beer bellies,,,,,, I will be devastated.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (new bloke @ May 06 2004,07:56)]So if the 20 or so strong crowd that turn up at Roots Hall on Sunday for the 11 aside tournament( good plug there) all turn up in Gazza style big breasts and beer bellies,,,,,, I will be devastated.  
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
why only you Unc? Could be any one of the back four......
wink.gif

Back