• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Giving Up Booze for a Month

Smudger

Manager
Anyone tried to do this and how did it go? Any tips/tricks or cheats?

**** me, it's going to be a dull month. I just hope class A drugs can get me through...

I've done it, but I'd say mid November to mid December is a strange time to do it. Managed 1st 6 weeks of 2008 with no booze.

Found it easier in the end to not go out, people just keep saying "go on, have a drink" - a marked difference from how people support you if you're trying to give up the fags!

I did it when I was 19 for six weeks. It was worse than quitting smoking. Of course, at that age it's basically an axe through your social life, but it was interesting to see how people behaved and how unfunny and repetitive those late night conversations really are.

I couldn't do it now. For one thing, I quit smoking two and a half weeks ago and that's more than enough to be going on with. For another, I get married in a month. I need drink. I really do.

I've done it, wasn't sure what all the fuss was about as I found it easy. Depends on why you're doing it, if you really want to do it then it's easy to go out and just drink soft drinks - you certainly save alot of money!

i'm planning to do it from Jan 1st until my stag do mid-Feb. Just to save a bit of cash and help lose a few pounds.

i'm planning to do it from Jan 1st until my stag do mid-Feb. Just to save a bit of cash and help lose a few pounds.

Month and a half without booze then a your stag night? Sounds like a recipe for disaster! I found it suprising how quickly you lose your alcohol tolerance.

Month and a half without booze then a your stag night? Sounds like a recipe for disaster! I found it suprising how quickly you lose your alcohol tolerance.

I was thinking the same actually Dras .. in fact i was going to suggest an upping of the old booze intake to allow a swift and easy recovering from the stag

yeah I'm gonna have a big session the weekend before and then drinks during the week (having a weeknight stag with my lads at work) to help get my tolerance back up

I did it when I was 19 for six weeks. It was worse than quitting smoking. Of course, at that age it's basically an axe through your social life, but it was interesting to see how people behaved and how unfunny and repetitive those late night conversations really are.

The last time I did it was about 5 years ago and I found I was fine until everyone hit about pint number 4. At this point your mates drift off into a separate stratosphere and after feeling like a hooker in a mosque for a while, you start to think about heading home (even though it's only 9.30pm.) Sad but true - booze is etched into our sociability, or at least it is mine. Fairplay and kudos to all the teetotallers who can still get out and have a sober kind of blast.

As for why I'm doing this, I've just been hitting it a bit hard lately and reckon my liver could do with it's own personal Center Parcs break. On December 19th I will be joining a minibus full of old mates to watch the darts, most of whom are professional/semi-pro drinkers so I have a nice target date to end this self-imposed booze exile.

Done it a couple of times over the last year or two, it is hard but depends how often you normally drink I suppose.

Back