• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Glastonbury

Can't get excited about it anymore - it's just not as good as it used to be. I turned down the chance to play this year (including a free pass for the whole weekend).

I have played twice and have been every year since 98, and I still get very excited.
Just stay away from the main stage and you should have a great time.
I would have had your free pass though...

yep I'm going. to be honest the line up is shocking, but will still be a brilliant weekend and fortunately you can go to glasto and not see one band and still have an amazing time

Well if anyone can get there hands on a ticket I'll pay handsomely.

Havent been since 1995 but have a desire to relieve my youth!

Havent been since 1995 but have a desire to relieve my youth!

What a great line-up it was that year.
Pulp headlining the Saturday (as late replacements for The Stone Roses) is a memory that will live with me forever (made the hairs stand up on the back of your neck it was that immense!)

What a great line-up it was that year.
Pulp headlining the Saturday (as late replacements for The Stone Roses) is a memory that will live with me forever (made the hairs stand up on the back of your neck it was that immense!)

Yeah Oasis, Orbital it was great! I seem to be remember getting hammered on the Sunday and watching Simple Minds, was a surreal experience. Spiritualised on the Sunday night was immense aswell (or am I getting confused with 1993?)

Oh I went to the cinema tent and watched Richard Linklaters seminal piece 'Dazed and Confused'. I say watched but to be honest the 'fog' inside that tent made it a bit tricky to see the actual screen. Happy times!

yep I'm going. to be honest the line up is shocking, but will still be a brilliant weekend and fortunately you can go to glasto and not see one band and still have an amazing time

Where are you going to be camping Jontosh?
I will be in the field with the John Peel stage in it, like normal. We could meet up if you want. It's my birthday on Friday too. Plenty of west country cider I feel may be consumed.

Is Glastonbury over-rated? I went once with a group of friends (c. 1996?) and was thoroughly under-whelmed by the whole thing. Hype seems to have made it something that - in my opinion - it actually isn't ...

I have done Glasto, V, Reading, T in the Park, Wireless, Latitude, and Bennicasim, and I have to say V is consistently the most chav crowd and ****iest line up. I still go sometimes, but I always come back completely disappointed.
Can't be bothered this year now I know we have Leeds away on the saturday.

I have to say I've watched a load of the interactive coverage that's been on.
The sound off the Pyramid Stage sounds awful (backed up by the reports of the crowd asking The Killers "to turn it up" on Saturday night).

Oh & how abnoxiously sh*te are The View (my new most hated band, on a par with Razorlight!)?

Last edited:
I have to say I've watched a load of the interactive coverage that's been on.
The sound off the Pyramid Stage sounds awful (backed up by the reports of the crows asking The Killers "to turn it up" on Saturday night).

Oh & how abnoxiously sh*te are The View (my new most hated band, on a par with Razorlight!)?

Think the sound was awful until late on Sunday. I saw Paul Weller, CSS and The Killers all gesture to change mix levels. Guess there were many more.

From what I saw on the coverage, it seemed pretty good. Weller was excellent, the Manics played ok (but came over a bit dreary), Iggy Pop, CSS were crazy as expected.

Think my highlight from what I saw (and not seen The Who yet), was Kasabians set - ignoring the **** of a front man, the whole thing rocked.

Looking forward to my Friday at Leeds now! Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Fall Out Boy, CSS, Lostprophets, LCD Soundsystem...

Should be rocking!

I watched much of it over the weekend, and IMO there were only five stand out performances. These were from Kasabian and Rufus Wainwright on Friday and yesterday's diversionary performance from Burly Chassis, plus the Manic Street Preachers, and finally a monumnetal performance from The Who.

Friday night performance from the Fartic Spunkies was an embarrassment - I just feel they are too woeful for words. What is it about them, that they are adored by the music press and the record buying public? I must be missing something. They are also missing something now, because my mole at Glastonbury went backstage during their performance, gliding effortlessly past security, and managed to steal the lyrics from their next song. I can exclusively reveal them here. Apparently, it goes to the tune of.......well, the tune of every single one of their songs, and goes:

We stand up here thrashing away at our guitars
Heaven knows how we got so far
A series of imitated Buzzcocks-a-like B-sides
With songs uglier than a Colchester bride
I’ve got me mate who plays his drum kit
With less rhythm than you see in dog-$hit

[Chorus:]
Every songs the same as the last one
Has nobody realised we’re pulling a fast one
Every single song is exactly the same
But we don’t give an Arctic Monkeys
Because we found download fame
Download fame

The music press, for some reason, think we’re cool
Even though our bassist is a complete tool
I stand up front on mic, with a northern hair-do
Spouting the same ol’ song that I’ve just done for you
I wonder if they’ll notice anytime soon?
Or we’ll continue to make money from the same tune

[Chorus:]
Every songs the same as the last one
Has nobody realised we’re pulling a fast one
Every single song is exactly the same
But we don’t give an Arctic Monkeys
Because we found download fame
Download fame

Friday night performance from the Fartic Spunkies was an embarrassment

I have to disagree with you there. I saw it on Friday and thought they were brilliant. At least they can bloody sing live!

Also loved the performances from Arcade Fire, Kasabian and Maximo Park.

Hope to go see MP at some point in the future.

Although I didn't watch the coverage constantly, I found very little to enjoy - the precious few highlights for me were Arcade Fire and Super Furry Animals. Also, special mention for The Hold Steady who I thought were great despite having written them off when I first heard them on record.

I have to disagree with you there. I saw it on Friday and thought they were brilliant. At least they can bloody sing live!

Also loved the performances from Arcade Fire, Kasabian and Maximo Park.

Hope to go see MP at some point in the future.

What other bands would you compare Maximo Park to? My friend's band was playing at a bar in Denver over the weekend and I was looking at the upcoming schedule for the bar and it showed Maximo Park playing next month, I only recognized them since I've seen them mentioned on here a few times, but I've never heard them, but I'm thinking it might be worth heading down there and checking them out.

Back