• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderatorā­
Staff member
Last season:

From the 92 league clubs, just 8 players scored 20 or more league goals.

A further 4 players scored 20+ league goals in the conference (and we went signed one of them!)

From the 92, 34 players scored 15 or more league goals.

A further 18 players, including our own Freddy Eastwood, scored 15 goals if including all competitions.

Neither the division 2 nor 4 champions had a 15 goal player! Only one promoted team had two 15 goals (in all competitions) players. They were promoted through the play-offs, behind a team whose top-scorer had 11 league goals, which included 4 penalties. Hartlepool got automatically promoted without a single player reaching double figures.

1st div
Man U - Ronaldo 17+6, Rooney 14+9, Saha 8+5
Chel$ea - Drogba 20+13, Lampard 11+10, Shevchenko 4+9
Ar$enal - Van Persie 11+2, Adebayor 8+4, Henry 10+2
Liverpool - Crouch 9+8, Kuyt 12+2

2nd div
Sunderland - Connolly 13+0, Murphy 10+0
Birmingham - McSheffrey 13+3, Bendtner 11+2, DJ Campbell 9+3
-------
Derby - Howard 18+1, Lupoli 7+4

3rd div
Scunthorpe - Sharp 30+2, Beckford 8+0
Bristol City - Jevons 11+4, Showumni 10+3
--------
Blackpool - Morrell 17+3, Parker 15+1
Forest - Holt 14+1, Commons 10+3
Yeovil - Wayne "Kevin" Gray 11+1, Best 10+0
Oldham - Porter 21+1, Liddell 11+0

4th div
Walsall - Keates 13+0, Butler 11+1, Sam 7+0
Hartlepool - Daly 9+0, Barker 9+0, Monkhouse 7+0
Swindon - Roberts 10+3, Peacock 10+0
--------
Bristol Rovers - Walker 16+5, Lambert 9+0, Haldane 6+0

Basically we were spoilt with Freddy, but its perfectly possible to get promoted with only 21 league goals between your two main strikers.

Last edited:
Last season:

From the 92 league clubs, just 8 players scored 20 or more league goals.

A further 4 players scored 20+ league goals in the conference (and we went signed one of them!)

From the 92, 34 players scored 15 or more league goals.

A further 18 players, including our own Freddy Eastwood, scored 15 goals if including all competitions.

Neither the division 2 nor 4 champions had a 15 goal player! Only one promoted team had two 15 goals (in all competitions) players. They were promoted through the play-offs, behind a team whose top-scorer had 11 league goals, which included 4 penalties. Hartlepool got automatically promoted without a single player reaching double figures.

1st div
Man U - Ronaldo 17+6, Rooney 14+9, Saha 8+5
Chel$ea - Drogba 20+13, Lampard 11+10, Shevchenko 4+9
Ar$enal - Van Persie 11+2, Adebayor 8+4, Henry 10+2
Liverpool - Crouch 9+8, Kuyt 12+2

2nd div
Sunderland - Connolly 13+0, Murphy 10+0
Derby - Howard 18+1, Lupoli 7+4
-------
Birmingham - McSheffrey 13+3, Bendtner 11+2, DJ Campbell 9+3

3rd div
Scunthorpe - Sharp 30+2, Beckford 8+0
Bristol City - Jevons 11+4, Showumni 10+3
--------
Blackpool - Morrell 17+3, Parker 15+1
Forest - Holt 14+1, Commons 10+3
Yeovil - Wayne "Kevin" Gray 11+1, Best 10+0
Oldham - Porter 21+1, Liddell 11+0

4th div
Walsall - Keates 13+0, Butler 11+1, Sam 7+0
Hartlepool - Daly 9+0, Barker 9+0, Monkhouse 7+0
Swindon - Roberts 10+3, Peacock 10+0
--------
Bristol Rovers - Walker 16+5, Lambert 9+0, Haldane 6+0

Basically we were spoilt with Freddy, but its perfectly possible to get promoted with only 21 league goals between your two main strikers.[/quote]

Now give us a reason to be cheerful about our defence !

Sounds fair enough. However, the other problem is that we dont actually have a pairing of strikers which could score 15 or even 10/12 each in the league.

We shouldnt really rely on one player anyway because if you do and he is injured or suspended your up that creek without a paddle.

MaccyD and Hoops look the most likely to notch up the required amount of goals but they arent really a pairing. We would need Harrold or Paynter to get in amongst the goals and try as I might, I just cant quite see it.

But then most who complain about Paynter and Harrold as choices, would love for them to go and prove us all wrong and get the goals.

Confidence breeds confidence and our strikers dont quite have that touch in front of goal yet. They need to get it soon as we cant rely on goals from everywhere else to get us into a decent position in this league.

top stats, but i can't see Harrold and a n other getting 21 goals between them.

Another point about the fact that we haven't had any strikers score yet is this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in our last promotion season (i.e. 2005/6) we were in a similar position at this stage, with Adam Barrett being our top scorer at roughly this stage in the season.

......The point being, is it any reason to get worked up in itself?

Another point about the fact that we haven't had any strikers score yet is this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in our last promotion season (i.e. 2005/6) we were in a similar position at this stage, with Adam Barrett being our top scorer at roughly this stage in the season.

......The point being, is it any reason to get worked up in itself?

Adam Barrett is the top scorer at the Club this season, discounted Bradbury whose out on loan...

Great post Yorkshire Blue.

top stats, but i can't see Harrold and a n other getting 21 goals between them.

Harrold scored 4 goals against championship defences last season in 15 starts. If he could continue that ratio over a season that would be 12 goals.
A slight improvement from 2005/06, when he scored 9 league goals. Add in that he'll be playing against weaker teams and should be our penalty taker and I think if he gets the games he'll be there or thereabouts the double figure mark.

As for the main striker to partner him? Well, I'm hoping Charlie McDonald gets off the mark soon, before the crowd get on his back.

Top post, YB. Unless you've got an exceptional striker (Freddy Eastwood in 05/06, Billy Sharp in 06/07) teams don't get promoted through having two high scoring strikers. In order to be challenge in this league without Freddy we need to be strong at the back and have a midfield that will create plenty of chances for whoever is up front. If we can achieve those things (and I'd say there are question marks over both) then we won't be far away this year.

PEDANT UPDATE

Derby went up via the playoffs. Birmingham went up as runners-up to Sunderland.

Still, this is something I've been trying to point out for years on here. a striker who gets ten goals actually does quite a lot for your team providing a) he contributes more than goals and b) he's not the main penalty taker.

I've not been on here particularly much since Millwall but I hope that the strikers have been spared a bit of criticism after Harrold played quite well and MacDonald got in to some excellent goalscoring positions.

Top post, YB. Unless you've got an exceptional striker (Freddy Eastwood in 05/06, Billy Sharp in 06/07) teams don't get promoted through having two high scoring strikers. In order to be challenge in this league without Freddy we need to be strong at the back and have a midfield that will create plenty of chances for whoever is up front. If we can achieve those things (and I'd say there are question marks over both) then we won't be far away this year.

It's true. You need a striker who can provide.

We had SuperGoat.

Well researched YB. As a few of us have been saying for a while, curbing our tendency to leak goals is a far bigger problem than that of finding a replacement for Freddy. Even if we sign a 20-25 goal a season man by Friday, we will struggle if we continue to ship goals the way we have been (Saturday being a welcome exception). You have to go back 12 matches to the last league match (Burnley) before Millwall that we kept a clean sheet.
If we score 50 and let in 40 we would probably make the play offs.
If we score 70 and let in 80 we would probably go down.

Last edited:
Maccy D and Paynter are clearly the partnership we've all been looking for.
This could well be true. Maccy D as I've always said looks like our best shot at a goalscorer and Paynter could be a good player for us.

Maccy D and Harrold are my preferred partnership at the moment though, I hate to say.

Back