• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good evening folks!

The General

The Mouse (*)
Me and Em move in Monday and any advice is much appreciated. Especially any tips which we may not have thought of. I've spoken to all the main people today (gas, water, council, phone) and let them know whats going on!

Trying to decide on phone/broadband packages and Sky is looking best IMO. £10 for Broadband and calls. Probably will give them a call and see what i can get out of them as want Sky Sports but dont wanna be paying when the football season is done and dusted so will try and drag up a thread i saw a couple of weeks back about getting the sports pack cheaper!

Kev

Me and Em move in Monday and any advice is much appreciated. Especially any tips which we may not have thought of. I've spoken to all the main people today (gas, water, council, phone) and let them know whats going on!

Trying to decide on phone/broadband packages and Sky is looking best IMO. £10 for Broadband and calls. Probably will give them a call and see what i can get out of them as want Sky Sports but dont wanna be paying when the football season is done and dusted so will try and drag up a thread i saw a couple of weeks back about getting the sports pack cheaper!

Kev

Wait till you get your first quarterly utility bills in, then tell them you want to pay monthly. This way they spread the cost over the year.
Also if its your first place and money is a bit tight try and budget so you pay everything monthly. This way you know exactly what your monthly outgoings are and you wont get any big shocks.

Oh and make sure you lay down some ground rules early doors.
Woman does cooking, cleaning, ironing, washing and shopping. Wouldnt want to be shoving a trolley round tesco when you could be watching Sky Sports. As your part of the deal, you mow the grass. Wont need to do it between September and May but its a tough job. Often in the summer you need to go over it sometimes twice a month!

Wait till you get your first quarterly utility bills in, then tell them you want to pay monthly. This way they spread the cost over the year.
Also if its your first place and money is a bit tight try and budget so you pay everything monthly. This way you know exactly what your monthly outgoings are and you wont get any big shocks.

Woman does cooking, cleaning, ironing, washing and shopping. Wouldnt want to be shoving a trolley round tesco when you could be watching Sky Sports. As your part of the deal, you mow the grass. Wont need to do it between September and May but its a tough job. Often in the summer you need to go over it sometimes twice a month!

lol, seriously though, thats a good bit of advice, sort the chores out early doors, and you'll be on your way to a more peaceful life!

Well im sorted on the garden front as we have no grass as its all block paved!! Touch!!

Quick question - which i think i know the answer to - do you NEED the line rental?! TBH we both get free calls on our mobiles so wouldn't really ever need to make any phone calls from the "home" phone but dont know if you need it to get broadband?! Seems like a waste to pay £10 p/m for very little use!

Well im sorted on the garden front as we have no grass as its all block paved!! Touch!!

Quick question - which i think i know the answer to - do you NEED the line rental?! TBH we both get free calls on our mobiles so wouldn't really ever need to make any phone calls from the "home" phone but dont know if you need it to get broadband?! Seems like a waste to pay £10 p/m for very little use!

You dont with virgin, depends if you're getting a package though it normally works out cheaper to get the tv/bb/phone bundle.

Make sure you take meter readings the moment you get in. If not the sneaky former owner might dispute them and you could get caught for the bill.

Makre surr your kettle and tea bags are packed near the top.

Kev

Hi General.
That £10 will actually be £21 with Sky line rental (*small print), a little more if you keep your BT phone line. Also if it's Sky Broadband Base, it will only be 2MB download speed and 2 GB monthly usage. Sometimes they charge a £60 or a £30 connection fee. So you really need to talk to them, to do a good deal.

Make sure you have enough cardboard boxes and old newspapers to wrap breakables/valuables. When I last moved I got my flat cardboard boxes from behind Farm Stores and Poundstretcher on the Sutton Road (Grainger) estate. They are happy for you to take them as they face a tasty little bill each time the cardboard skip is filled.
Believe it or not, cardboard boxes cost an absolute fortune to buy new.
Any Wardrobes that weigh a Ton, best to take doors off now, to reduce weight and make them easier to carry.

As Sky Sports HD is coming to Virgin I would suggest if you can get Virgin Cable where you live then give them a call. Call them saying that you have been offered a deal with Sky and what can they give you.

For broadband Virgin Cable offering will win hands down for performance and reliability and the Video on Demand is the best provided by any company.

And if you want Broadband (ADSL) then yes you will need to pay for line rental as you can get broadband via a telephone line or via a Cable connection. (I know some smart alec will mention 3G but come on in Southend I would not want to be using 3G as my main internet solution)

Apart from teabags and kettle (and mugs!) packed very accessibly I'd also have your bedding or sleeping bags if necessary near the top too as you'll be dog tired and ready to collapse come bed time. Cool bag with fridge stuff in. Personally, I wouldn't unpack too much that night, essentials only as you (or Em) will probably want to give the house - in particular bathroom and kitchen - a good clean before any of your stuff gets put away, so cleaning stuff is also good to have where you know where it is. If you can, detail a helpful family member to go and clean while you two organise that way it takes a grotty but necessary job away from you. I'd also bleach the loo on arrival!

What time do the 14 articulated lorries with Em's stuff arrive Kev ? ...;)

Kev

With Sky add £11 for BT to that. Talk Talk are normally pretty good in your area. However if you are in a cable area get that, far superior internet access and cable in one;)

Kev[/QUOTE]

Use this website - www.simplify-digital.co.uk
Should do all the leg work before you pick the best/cheapest package for you.

Kay - My mum is on the cleaning front!! :-D She volunteered herself for it and even bought cleaning stuff in preparation for it!

Virgin is looking a good bet at the moment tbh. Around £36 for Broadband, Phone stuff and XL TV package with Sky Sports. Think we'll be going for that but will wait until later to decide for sure.

Need to sort my room out and pack but really not wanting to move just yet!

My advice would be to get every wall and ceiling in the place Artexed - the chunkier the texture the better.

Once you have the interior to your liking you can get the stone cladders and crazy pavers involved on the exterior.

Last edited:

Don't forget the car stuff. Change of address for Insurance, Driving License and Vehicle registration documents.

And you do the BBQ as well!

Back