• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gove sending a copy of KJ Bible to every school

I love the way Shrimperzone religious threads always seem to confirm that there is no-one more bigoted than an atheist

What I can't believe is that he is actually writing a brief to the Bible - Jesus reincarnate I think not, moreover ironically the devil.

Hi my name is T ony and i post on shrimperzone and i dont believe in your god or any other god but i do believe we as humans evoled from sludge therefore i am a bigot,feel better now thats out in the open.

As long as they don't force the kids to read it and let them do it at their own will, I'm fine with it. We're a Christian country.

I love the way Shrimperzone religious threads always seem to confirm that there is no-one more bigoted than an atheist

Yes, it must be awful to hear people questioning the need to indoctrinate children.

You have said on here that anyone who doesn't believe what you believe in is destined for a fiery afterlife in "hell."

Let's see now...

big·ot (bgt)n.
One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Yes, it must be awful to hear people questioning the need to indoctrinate children.

You have said on here that anyone who doesn't believe what you believe in is destined for a fiery afterlife in "hell."

Let's see now...

big·ot (bgt)n.
One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Doesn't look very fiery to me ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Norway and as Hel is a old Norwegian word i very much doubt it is actually mentioned in the New testament anyway (amusingly not appearing till the King James version) though they do co-opt the concept of the Greek hades ? The old testament has Sheol (a waiting room a non judgement are ) and then Gehena which also equates with hades later becoming Hel or Hell .

None of which becomes the hell we know until Dante writes his inferno and hieronymus bosch draws some seriously weird stuff.

Agree it's a waste of money, surely most schools own at least one copy anyway, they still teach R.E. don't they? As for putting his own foreword in, that's monumentally arrogant.

Let's see now...

big·ot (bgt)n.

Did you use to post on here under another name - the bloke in the pram shop/desert shrimper?

There are plenty of my posts on here that don't fill me with much pride when I look back on them though I don't think I ever said 'anyone who doesn't believe what I believe in is destined for a fiery afterlife in "hell." ' or if I have I take it back as I do not what happens to people who reject God.

I have bored people on here in the past with how I became a Christian but the gist of it was that it was almost the last thing I wanted to do as I was previously a hardline atheist
The message of Christianity, admittedly not always very well conveyed by many of its adherents including myself, is that God, in the form of his Son, died for everyone. He gives people the free will to accept or reject that. If they reject I do not what happens to them other then they spend eternity without God. It's not an easy message but was never intended to be as far as I can see.
I have no problem with people challenging my views though some of the 'challenging' isn't exactly conducive to a constructive debate.
Teaching children there is no God is equally 'indoctrinating' if you don't teach them that lots of people around the world and throughout history have believed there is a God.

just out of interest, what do they do in school assembleys these days?

When i was in Junior School (one which OBL knows quite well), although it was not a religious school, quite often the head teacher would read a story from the bible, such as Sampson etc, as well as all the usual tat of giving out certificates to kids that they had brough it etc. Does this not happen anymore? Only asking, as it never done me any harm, and some of the story's were fairly enjoyable

We all got a bible when we joined senior school in 1982.

Pointless then and pointless now.

Doesn't look very fiery to me ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Norway and as Hel is a old Norwegian word i very much doubt it is actually mentioned in the New testament anyway (amusingly not appearing till the King James version) though they do co-opt the concept of the Greek hades ? The old testament has Sheol (a waiting room a non judgement are ) and then Gehena which also equates with hades later becoming Hel or Hell .

None of which becomes the hell we know until Dante writes his inferno and hieronymus bosch draws some seriously weird stuff.

Hell is very simPly being apart from God for eternity. No need for anything more than that...

just out of interest, what do they do in school assembleys these days?

When i was in Junior School (one which OBL knows quite well), although it was not a religious school, quite often the head teacher would read a story from the bible, such as Sampson etc, as well as all the usual tat of giving out certificates to kids that they had brough it etc. Does this not happen anymore? Only asking, as it never done me any harm, and some of the story's were fairly enjoyable

Legally it's supposed to be "broadly Christian" but in reality OFSTED don't do anything to schools which break the law and don't teach RE...

Back