• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great comebacks

In light of Blackburn's turnaround at Charlton on Wednesday, when they came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2, I was trying to think of similar games watching the Shrimpers.

Rushden and Diamonds a few years ago springs to mind, 2-0 down at halftime before winning 4-2, and v Darlo two years ago when again we were 2-0 down at halftime before a 3-2 win, Gower's wonder goal clinching it.

Any other memorable comebacks?

2-0 down vs. Newport with 10 minutes to go - won 4-2, c. 1976

3-0 down vs. Rochdale came back to draw 3-3

3-0 down away to Charlton, get it back to 3-3, only to lose 4-3 with the last kick of the game.
sad.gif

I remember Jon Gymer coming off the bench and scoring 2 goals to save the match, but cant remember when or against who...

My first ever home game was Wigan about 1987 time...

Think we were 2-0 down at halt time to turn it round 3-2 -
Ling and a Crown double I think...

Other good one that never was was Charlton away...1995ish

3-0 at half time - Loads of people left.....Got back to 3-3 with an Oohh Andy Ansah double only for Alan "Bloody" Pardew to steel in in the last moments......B*****d

Great comebacks?

Gotta be mine this weekend!

But if that doesn't count then I opt for Wigan Athletic as described above and then possible the 3-3 with Rochdale a few years back ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Dec. 02 2005,12:59)]My first ever home game was Wigan about 1987 time...

Think we were 2-0 down at halt time to turn it round 3-2 -
Ling and a Crown double I think...
Crown got the third with an absolute screamer - one of the best Southend goals, IMO.

The other two were both from those that came off the bench Martin Ling, with an 18 yard shot, and, unbelievably, Roy McDonough. Unbelievable that he scored that is, not that he was on the bench. It was a pen, mind you.
tounge.gif

It was only a comeback from 1-0- but scoring twice in the last minute at Gillingham in December 1997, to win 2-1. I think 90 minutes must have been up when we equalised, then somehow, Jeroen Boere snatched a late winner. Quality.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ Dec. 02 2005,13:04)]It was only a comeback from 1-0- but scoring twice in the last minute at Gillingham in December 1997, to win 2-1. I think 90 minutes must have been up when we equalised, then somehow, Jeroen Boere snatched a late winner. Quality.
Which reminds me of the match I think Napster may be referring to, above. 2-1 down at home to Hartlepool, into injury time. Jon Gymer, off the bench equalises. Then with the last kick of the match, Richard Cadette, swivels on a sixpence inside the six-yard box and pokes home the winner.
biggrin.gif

0-2 down against a seriously good QPR team in the FA Cup at RH. Drew 2-2, Chris Guthrie got one, can't remember who got the other.

Lost the replay 2-0.

Maybe for drama another cup game at Hartlepool 3 years ago when Cort & Bramble got two in a minute at the death.

Plus Newport as already described.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Dec. 02 2005,13:04)]and, unbelievably, Roy McDonough. Unbelievable that he scored that is, not that he was on the bench. It was a pen, mind you.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and fookin' grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, how dare you speak ill of the legend
wow.gif
mad.gif
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Dec. 02 2005,13:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Dec. 02 2005,13:13)]0-2 down against a seriously good QPR team in the FA Cup at RH. Drew 2-2, Chris Guthrie got one, can't remember who got the other.

Lost the replay 2-0.
Think it was wee Davie Cunningham.
Must have had an off day from beating up cabbies.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ Dec. 02 2005,13:04)]Jeroen Boere snatched a late winner. Quality.
Well if ORM can go "grrrrr grrrrr" etc, so can I...

glare.gif
mad.gif
suspect.gif

The only thing Boere ever snatched was a lot of money from our football club, the f***er.

mad.gif

Yep has to be Rushden and Diamonds home game on Boxing day a couple years back. 2-0 down at half time and we won 4-2 iirc

Comeback 1. The 3-3 draw at Reading a while back. 2 goals from Harry Willis. Mind your that Nogan scored a hattrick for them.

Cumback 2. Explosive orgasms (VHS circa1994). The 3rd 'scene' has a top notch cum on her back moment on par with any modern classic.

The last minute 4-3 defeat at Charlton was a sickener after somehow getting back to 3-3 with 2 from Ansah and another from Jonathan Hunt. Bloody Alan Pardew!!
mad.gif

Also remember the 2-1 win at Gillingham in 97/98 with 2 goals in stoppage time (Coulbault and Boere).

Hartlepool (a) in the FA Cup a couple of years ago was another with 2 in the last couple of mins from Bramble and Cort.

Also seem to remember one game at the Hawthorns against West Bromwich Albion in which Bretty Angell got a couple of late, late goals to earn us a 2-2 draw in the mid 90's.

Oh and obviously the Rushden 4-2 win too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Dec. 02 2005,14:16)]At this rate ORM's comeback for SZFC this Sunday could be the stuff of legends !
laugh.gif
More like the stuff of leg-ends!

tounge.gif

Back