• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The word "legend" is clearly overused but there are certain sportsmen/women/athletes who really deserve the tag. Without the bias of Southend United, who would make your list? Who were your ground breakers, game changers, pioneers? Who for you stands out as something special?

Substance over style.

I'll kick off with Daley Thompson, Roger Bannister, Chrissie Wellington, George Best, Mohammad Ali, Bobby Moore, Steve Redgrave, Ian Botham, Basil D'Oliviera, Roger Federer, Tiger Woods, Usain Bolt, Lance Armstrong, Michael Johnson, Valentino Rossi, Alex Ferguson, Dick Hoyt

Sir Donald Bradman, IMO the greatest sportsman ever.

Some great names in your list, I'll add Rocky Marciano, Rod Laver, Pele, Cruyff, Matthew Pinsent, Ken Buchanan, Brian Lara, Jack Nicklaus, Ann Packer & Jackie Stewart.

Some excellent shouts at the top of the thread SBH.

Eddy Merckx
Michael Jordan
Darren Lockyer
Martina Navratilova
Steffi Graf

If you're including Lance Armstrong, then I want to nominate David Walsh and Pierre Ballester and maybe Dick Pound.

In terms of a single sporting moment Bob Beamon deserves a mention.

Seve Ballesteros;
Being as Ayrton Senna's already been mentioned, Michael Schumacher;
Eric Bristow.

Probably more to add once I've had a decent think about it.

Thought we were doing a composite list, are we not?

If not, then I'd add several mentioned at the top of the thread.

Thought we were doing a composite list, are we not?

If not, then I'd add several mentioned at the top of the thread.

Indeed.

Daley Thompson
Roger Bannister
Chrissie Wellington
George Best
Mohammad Ali
Bobby Moore
Steve Redgrave
Ian Botham
Basil D'Oliviera
Roger Federer
Tiger Woods