• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Grimsby Town 1-0 Southend United

We’re not good enough, and another week goes by without strengthening the blindingly obvious flaws in this squad. Not here to criticise Kevin, nor Stan, but what has happened to the promise of recruitment? Despite playing slightly better tonight it’s yet another loss for this squad and another dent to their near 0% confidence. Serious questions need to be asked as to where these squad improvements are.
We got 2 in. Just need 6 more.

A game lacking any quality from both teams, they just weren’t as **** as what we are in the final third. 10 defeats already and we aren’t even in December yet, we keep asking every week “when will this rot end” but right now, it doesn’t look like it will. We are on a slippery road to the national south.

The less said about that Dalby substitution the better.

It wasn’t a bad performance. The issue is as we know if Murphy is up top on his own and you look at the goal scoring record of all those behind there are no goals in the team. It’s still reminiscent of the Southend 0 lineups and by now it should have been fixed.

We need some goal threat from MF and from out wide. The only goalscoring player we have in these positions is Kinali and he must have run over someone important’s cat..

Passengers and possibles.

Possibles? Brunt, Lopata, and a bit of Walsh before he faded.

Passengers? We all know Demi, White, Ferguson, Atkinson have bought their tickets.

Hobson, Dunne and Egbri lack the 'quality' mentioned about 8,000 times by the TV commentary team.

Will someone tell Murphy that standing offside and constantly expecting a free-kick is not going to work.
All he needs to do is shrug off the marker at the last second both in the box and on the halfway line.

The worst thing? Grimsby were there for the taking by a team with seven decent players, and not four, if you throw in Arnold.

Good to watch a game not half cut.

White passed it, sorry to say. Same with JD and Dunne.

Atkinson not a starter. Good sub to bring on to tighted up a game when winning. Won't happen much.

We took too many touches of the ball.

Murphy, I like. But, put up and shut up

Ferguson got booked that's all I rem from him.

We need a new spine and sharpish. We didn't play badly. Just, not good enough especially final 3rd ?

Woeful yet again against a Grimsby side that were easily there for the taking.

This team will not score enough goals to keep us in this division! WTF is Matt Dennis getting on the pitch before Sam Dalby when your chasing a 1-0 deficit is beyond me, Dennis touched the ball maybe twice.

John White is not a player that should be anywhere near the starting line-up torn apart again tonight, demetriou has run his course as a professional footballer and again shouldn’t be anywhere near this team.

Murphy is not a loan striker was bullied all game.

Lopata wasn’t great IMO tonight was caught under the ball numerous times and lost a lot of high duals.

We will not gain points as long as James DUNNE and Will Atkinson are playing in the middle of the park.

Zak Brunt and Louis Walsh I though we’re the better performers for us tonight.

WE NEED REINFORCEMENTS AND WE NEED THEM NOW

Not much in that actually. We outplayed them at times with some nice touches in some good spells. They go joint top but showed how close this league is. We are making progress and I thought we fought harder than I expected given the line up.

Loved to see Brunts enthusiasm and effort , didnt see a lot of Lopata in comparison. Walsh had some impressive moments and we got the ball in early. 3 minutes early on cost us otherwise we would be praising despite the lack of decent efforts on target. Debatably offside

There were positives.

Murphy worked so hard despite limited service. Brunt always looked to play forward and was prepared to take a risk. Lopata looked solid again. Walsh looked lively 1st half. And I thought both Ferguson and Dunne competed well but ran out off puff

Considering we had no legs in midfield, no left back, john white getting constantly skinned and as a team just aren’t good enough. And set pieces were woeful

Its going to be a long season and until we get some new hungry blood in I can’t see things being much different

If I was Kev, you’ve got to focus on getting that link between Murphy and Brunt going and work for set pieces and nick the odd 1-0. But I’m not Kev

Last edited:
Sorry but I’m already starting to lose the faith.

Disappointing line up.

Did nothing all game and did nothing to remotely change it (apart from Egbri).

I’d rather lose trying than watch the same thing happen every week.

Murphy on his own is achieving nothing. At least play with Dalby or Rush.

Never start with White or Atkinson. Bring in Philips for Ferguson.

At the very least please try something different other than this ever occurring nightmare!

Their goal was a mess, after 10th minute we could've been in this game if we changed tactics a bit. A bit of pace and confidence would have sparked us up a little. In my mind, Rush would've been perfect, but he wasn't even on the bench!

We should have changed things at the 60th minute at the latest. Dunne and Atkinson off, Phillips and Dalby on, Brunt dropping back deeper into midfield. Chasing the game, we should have bought JW off, gone 3 at the back and put on Egbri or Dennis to just attack the game.

We aren't getting anywhere with Murphy offside with no service.

Arnold 5
Hobson 6
Lapota 6
White 4
Demetriou 4
Dunne 4
Atkinson 4
Ferguson 5
Brunt 7
Walsh 6
Murphy 5

Back