• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southampton Shrimper

Team Eggheads
From the Southern Daily Echo's weekly sports paper The Pink, 3 July 2010:

CITY CAN RELY ON GUY TO DO THE JOB
But veteran defender is not sure he's got one

Guy Butters will continue to fight the good fight for Winchester City on the field next term, but he is not entirely sure if his job title extends to assistant manager. When ex-Saint Glenn Cockerill was appointed managerial successor to the Hussey brothers towards the end of last season, Butters - the vastly experienced former Spurs, Portsmouth and Brighton & Hove centre-back - was the natural man to turn to as he settled in, writes Wendy Gee.

But Butters, who was due to lead City's first pre-season training session this week while Cockerill was on holiday, has no idea if he is the official number two or not. "No one's said I'm assistant manager, so I don't really know," he said, when asked his City job title. "It was a case of Glenn coming in and not knowing the players or the set-up, so he asked me to do the team sheets, the warm-ups and so on. I don't know what Glenn is doing over the summer, whether he is bringing in a new assistant manager or coaches. But if I am asked to do a job in any shape or form then I am very happy to do it. It's just nice being around and associated with the club. I'm basically doing the assistant manager's job at the moment but, above all, I'm concentrating on the football and getting myself fit."

With his 41st birthday looming in October and a long career spanning more than 600 League games behind him, Hillingdon-born Butters is not getting any younger. But his powerful 6ft 3in frame got him through 43 Wessex games for Winchester last season, scoring four goals, and he sees no reason not to continue. "I won a few player-of-the-season trophies so I'm not doing too badly." he smiled. "I know I'm 40, but I don't feel it, so I might as well carry on until my legs give up on me. I don't see why I can't play this year and maybe next year too. A good mate of mine, Andy Hessenthaler, who's just taken over as Gillingham manager, played until he was 45 at Dover, so it can be done. Playing in the Wessex League last season suited my game. A lot of it was in the air and I could organise the people around me. Unless the standard of the Wessex is raised a hell of a lot, I don't see why I shouldn't continue. I'll know when it's time to call it a day when the old niggles start creeping in and the legs start to go. But, after watching the World Cup, I'm really looking forward to next season and I can't wait to get back into training."

Under Cockerill's canny charge, Winchester finished last season strongly, unbeaten in their last eight Sydenhams Premier games. Now Butters sees promotion as a realistic target next season. "Glenn's an excellent manager who has been around at Woking and various other clubs. I am sure, come pre-season, there will be 20 more players turning up for trials to try and bring in a better calibre of player. That is no disrespect to the lads there at the moment, but he is not going to come in and comb things over. He wants to come in, get promotion and better himself as a manager, just as I still want to get better as a player," he said. "I've lived in this area for 16/17 years now and, having read about Winchester in the press, I understand how big a club it can be. I see no reason why we can't achieve that with the right backing and support."

From today's Southern Daily Echo:

FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT FOR BUTTERS

Winchester City owner Paul McCarthy reckons manager Guy Butters is destined for bigger and better things. Under Butters' guidance, City are sitting 11 points clear at the Sydenhams Premier Division summit raising hopes of an imminent return to the Southern League ranks following relegation in 2008/09. But McCarthy reckons that if they manage to fulfil their promotion dream, they could be "struggling to keep hold of" former Spurs, Portsmouth, Gillingham and Brighton centre-back Butters.

Having initially joined Winchester as a player, Butters became their unofficial assistant manager during ex-Saint Glenn Cockerill's time in charge. And when City reluctantly parted company with Cockerill just before the start of the season as part of club restructuring, Butters was placed in caretaker charge of team affairs, working closely alongside McCarthy.

While Butters keeps a low profile where the media is concerned, McCarthy says the 41-year-old deserves all the credit for establishing Winchester as serious promotion contenders. "I'm the mouthpiece of the club, but the success of the team is nothing to do with me, it's purely Guy," said McCarthy. "Guy's a really nice bloke and a pleasure to work with. He's done better than anyone we've ever had. He's only 41, so he's one for the future and I think he'll prove that. We'll be struggling to keep hold of him. Guy's a great bloke who is well connected in the world of football and he really knows the game. He's a good manager and motivator and he'll end up being a Football League manager at least. He's never out of the game. He works with Brighton's youth and reserve teams so he gets all the right feedback. Everyone loves Guy and I think he's got a good future ahead of him."

City entertain third-to-bottom Fawley AFC tomorrow hoping to maintain their 11-point advantage over reigning champions Poole.

thought he was quality when he signed on loan for us from tottenham, very solid at the back and yet not the fastest but great in the air.

He did a good job at Winchester as manager and has now upped his game to team up with Richard Hill at Eastleigh a very experienced partnership hopefully he will show the likes of Sankofa, Scannell and Reason the way.

Good addition to a good Eastleigh side

Back