• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hadleigh Castle Olympics - your views

Damn good idea if you ask me, bring our lovely ruin to the attention of the world, and help to dispel the oft held opinion that Essex is flat.

I think it's a great idea. Thorndon Park was originally suggested but it has been considered too flat so Hadleigh Country Park getting a shot at fame is wonderful for the area. There is a concern of parking though but if the council can come up with a park and ride scheme then Hadleigh stands a very good chance of creating a little bit of local olympic history.

As long as the Castle is out of bounds and the wildlife in the area is protected and not frigtened to death or wiped out to create this, I can't see why not!

I also think this is a great idea. I live right on the edge of Hadleigh country park and could make a few quid letting my house out to athletes and knocking out a bit of unofficial merchandise to Olympic punters.

Last edited:
Sounds a great idea.
Close to the two railway stations too (surely anyone would not expect mountain biking to be held in a place easily accessible , by the very nature of the sport)

I also think this is a great idea. I live right on the edge of Hadleigh country park and could make a few quid letting my house out to athletes and knocking out a bit of unofficial merchandise to Olympic punters.

you could do food, tea etc the options are endless.

It's a great idea.....good location, excellent terrain. I'd just want the effect on the wildlife at the country park to be minimised, and it'd be good if the majority of it could be temporary, with the facilities left behind for the public basic. It's such a nice relaxation/walking/picnicing spot and I wouldn't like to see that ruined. If those issues are overcome, I'm all for it, the recognition would be brilliant.

It is the first I've heard of hosting the Olympics in Hadleigh. Not sure where they'd build the stadium, but I think it would be a better choice than Birmingham for the UK's next bid.

Can't see this ever happening to be honest. The course would be nowhere long enough or steep enough. Can you imagine the traffic going down the little side roads and parking at the Sally Army farm?

By the way, has this been officially suggested or just a bit of SZ daydreaming?

It is the first I've heard of hosting the Olympics in Hadleigh. Not sure where they'd build the stadium, but I think it would be a better choice than Birmingham for the UK's next bid.

Don't think a stadium's involved at all. They want a mountain bike track, so the terrain around the Hadleigh Castle Country Park is pretty much ideal.

Don't think a stadium's involved at all. They want a mountain bike track, so the terrain around the Hadleigh Castle Country Park is pretty much ideal.

They'll have to put something in place for spectators though, a grandstand or two maybe?

Back