• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Halifax Town v Southend United, Saturday 11th September, 3.00pm, NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 66 84.6%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 60 76.9%
  • John White

Votes: 56 71.8%
  • Josh Coulson

• Nathan Ralph

Votes: 51 65.4%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 65 83.3%
  • James Dunne

Votes: 64 82.1%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 59 75.6%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 40 51.3%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Will Atkinson

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • Matt Dennis

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 64 82.1%
  • Sam Dalby

• Louis Walsh

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Hamzad Kargbo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Lewis Gard

• O'Shane Stewart

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Rob Howard

• Charlie Sayers

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Harry Seaden

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Win

Votes: 46 59.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 5 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Great news. Basically every primary school in Southend borough could bus kids up north and attend for free and watch us inevitability lose 2-0 ensuring Southend’s support is decimated for a generation. Canny bastards Halifax
On the plus side there’d still be time for it to recover before we move into fossetts

As this is localish (about 90 mins each way) I'll be making the trip west for this, after our performances this season I'm hoping for at least a point from this game but Halifax could be a real test of where we will finish this season

The last time I was at The Shay, we lost 3-1 in February 1999 in front of 2,302.
The Blues scorer? Kevin Rapley. Yeah, I'd forgotten about him too.
'Kevin Rapley is now a driving instructor', says Wikipedia. There's a pile of possible jokes there, eh?
The following day I had to work Man U v Fulham in front of 70,000, but I like the homely Shay set deep in a valley.
Well done, all those making the trip.

Halifax re-invented as AFC Halifax have fought their way back and nearly made the play off last year but in the end consolidated tenth spot. It should be an interesting clash between a rebuilt Halifax youthful side with 10 incoming. Apparently thy lost the Core of a pretty good side with Hollywood FC snapping up Jake Hyde, Chesterfield taking Jeff King, Captain Clarke departing alongside key performer Jack Earing. So early predictions were that they would struggle as they rebuild with youth

Only 2 over 30s now in their total squad REBUILD ( compared to our 8 ) If their last team out is anything to go by the defence could include Benn aged 20, Bradbury 23, Debrah 20 and Warren 22. Murphy could have a field day ! and lob in a Coulson flattening a few with headers from LONG CORNERS !

Billy Waters, Striker has a decent longer term goals scoring record UPFRONT and has already hit 3 of their 4 goals. We will need to sit on him

Green 24, Gilmour 23 AND Warburton 29 make up midfield , with Woods 25, and potentially Niall MAHER 26 ( I assume no relation to King Kev ) also offering midfield or Centre Back, Summerfield the experienced one ,played in midfield last time out, with a few subs going on

Seem to have loads of forward options with Waters, Allen , Slew ( former £1m player ,) Stenson, Mc Donagh

Into our arms fall these babes ??

Ey up **** Morning shrimpers,for those of you making the journey north Friday or Saturday, if you looking for a pub (real ale craft bars no flat pints in these like down sarf ha) a few pointers for you, the3 pigeons great pub 5 min walk from the shay , town centre, Kobenhavn bar , Victorian craft beer cafe, meandering bear, Alexandra beer house all 10 mins walk and only a couple of mins from the piece hall, in the piece hall anther 5-6 places for a pint ( not real ale) and plenty of shops, if that tickles your fancy, have a safe journey, Tara for now.

Thanks Geezer some proper advice,loads of real ale merchants visiting The Shay,will have to pass on the frothy head though so we can get to the wet bit that matters :Winking:

Ey up **** Morning shrimpers,for those of you making the journey north Friday or Saturday, if you looking for a pub (real ale craft bars no flat pints in these like down sarf ha) a few pointers for you, the3 pigeons great pub 5 min walk from the shay , town centre, Kobenhavn bar , Victorian craft beer cafe, meandering bear, Alexandra beer house all 10 mins walk and only a couple of mins from the piece hall, in the piece hall anther 5-6 places for a pint ( not real ale) and plenty of shops, if that tickles your fancy, have a safe journey, Tara for now.
We have plenty of decent craft beer places in Southend.

Can you recommend anything a bit more authentically 'Rita Sue and Bob Too' for those going up North for the first time?

Halifax re-invented as AFC Halifax have fought their way back and nearly made the play off last year but in the end consolidated tenth spot. It should be an interesting clash between a rebuilt Halifax youthful side with 10 incoming. Apparently thy lost the Core of a pretty good side with Hollywood FC snapping up Jake Hyde, Chesterfield taking Jeff King, Captain Clarke departing alongside key performer Jack Earing. So early predictions were that they would struggle as they rebuild with youth

Only 2 over 30s now in their total squad REBUILD ( compared to our 8 ) If their last team out is anything to go by the defence could include Benn aged 20, Bradbury 23, Debrah 20 and Warren 22. Murphy could have a field day ! and lob in a Coulson flattening a few with headers from LONG CORNERS !

Billy Waters, Striker has a decent longer term goals scoring record UPFRONT and has already hit 3 of their 4 goals. We will need to sit on him

Green 24, Gilmour 23 AND Warburton 29 make up midfield , with Woods 25, and potentially Niall MAHER 26 ( I assume no relation to King Kev ) also offering midfield or Centre Back, Summerfield the experienced one ,played in midfield last time out, with a few subs going on

Seem to have loads of forward options with Waters, Allen , Slew ( former £1m player ,) Stenson, Mc Donagh

Into our arms fall these babes ??
So the downfall for Halifax this season could be a reliance on youth? I do like the irony of this post after your countless posts to the contrary.

As this is localish (about 90 mins each way) I'll be making the trip west for this, after our performances this season I'm hoping for at least a point from this game but Halifax could be a real test of where we will finish this season
90 minutes? (I'm guessing Pickering/Scarborough way?)

Darlo exile will be making the trip with daughter +1, about 90mins for us as well. First game since returning from Spain, what am I in for??? Great Southend support for sure, but as for on the pitch???

Last edited:
Back