• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Manager

formerly Libertine
Firstly I'd like to point out that this is by no way a dig at the fine work being done in the official SZ Hall Of Fame threads. It's a great idea and I think the rules in place and the democractic process should ensure the right results.

However I do find it strange that someone like Ricky Otto is getting so many votes as one of the 12 most influential people in our history. A fantastic player yes, but he isn't in that category at all.

I can only really come up with the following people who fit into that category from my 28 years of watching Southend -

David Webb - Brought us up through the leagues with two succesive promotions and into the second tier of English football for the first time ever. Gave us hope for an all too fleeting moment that he could finish the job and get us into the top flight.
Steve Tilson - Played in the team under David Webb then equalled his feats as manager with a further two succesive promotions. Also took us to our first ever national cup finals and produced the team that knocked out Man Utd.
Chris Powell - Played in the Webby team and when in the old Second Division established himself as the finest left back at that level. When he eventually had the chance to play at the highest level he was good enough to be picked for his country. In my mind the first and only England international that really learned his trade at Roots Hall (you could argue Stan Collmore but his was more a raw and mercurial talent, whereas Chris Powell honed his abilities over an extended period as 'one of us')

That's three people in just over a quarter of a century watching Southend United who I deem worthy of a place in the Hall Of Fame. So the ratio is about right if we are looking for 12 in total from just over a century. That's is how high the bar should be set, not just good or exciting players and not just prolific goalscorers. However people who dramatically altered the club for the better and played a part in making it what it is today.

I think, according to the rules in place, that on the current vote Otto is going to miss out on the HoF as the criteria is quite strict?

It's one of the trends I've noticed that the more recent players attract far more votes (and I'm talking total votes, for and against). The likes of Ron Pountney barely managed 30 votes but the likes of Otto and Crown have seen well over double that vote. It's also the reason for the 2 years rule and the need for 90% of the vote.

As for whether Otto was one of the most influential dozen, I don't think it's as clearcut as you say. The last quarter of the century has been by far the club's most successful era, so I'd expect a strong HoF bias towards it. Otto was our most exciting player in our most exciting team so I think he is a decent shout. That team and that era has IMHO defined the club's/fan's ambitions and identity.

I'd be leaning towards inducting him into the HoF but still not fully convinced, so I think the current vote is about right.

I think the Hall of Fame is great and run just fine.

Libertine's point's are good ones, and I agree in my 17 or so years watching the Blues there aren't many I would say are Hall of Fame material, as has been reiterated several times, this is the cream of the crop. In my mind the pecking order goes as such...

Hall of Fame
Legend
Hero
Cult Hero

Using Otto as an example, for me he probably falls on the borderline between Hero and Legend. At the start of the HoF there was a tendancy for every candidate to get voted in on landslides with people who thought differently being shouted down, having said that the biggest & most obvious candidates were the ones that got nominated first, this has settled down and people are being more discerning now. The rules for entry are stingent enough - 5 nominations, over 30 votes and a 90% winning margin.

Thanks for all your hard work Yorkshire Blue, I'm loving the Hall of Fame threads.

Back