• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Happy Birthday Spectrum!

Also remember a player manager type game, where each fixture you were told how many shots you would have (1,2 or 3) and you would decide if you wanted to play or not (think you had to 'buy in' to play a match so you would only spend your credits if guaranteed 3 shots or was big game and would go for the two shots....think the shots basically were then a pre runner for the play for your club screen...... Hours were spent on the simple formats above....I can barely play Pro evo on my own now to be honest.

Player of the Year and Player of the Year 2. Two superb games!

Check out it's natural progression on...erm...Icons. It's a bit tricky to get the hang of, but once you do, it's superb. Well worth buying the full version as well, I've been playing it for two years!

http://www.icons.com/newstar.html

Seriously? Jesus....you don't know how much that hurts. I didn't go out of the house between 1984 and 1986.

It is absolutely true.

There was a bug with the path of one of the arrow sprites in 'The Attic' that unintentionally overwrote other memory locations and corrupted the whole game........

From Wiki...

The Attic Bug

As originally released, the game could not be completed due to several bugs, the most notorious being known as the Attic Bug. After the player entered the room The Attic, various rooms would undergo corruption on all subsequent game plays, including all monsters disappearing from The Chapel, and other screens triggering instant death. This was caused by an error in the path of an arrow in The Attic, resulting in the sprite travelling past the end of the Spectrum's video memory and overwriting crucial game data instead.

Initially Software Projects attempted to pass this off as an intentional feature to make the game more difficult, claiming that the rooms in question were filled with poison gas. However, they later rescinded this claim and issued a set of POKEs (low-level memory-writing hacks) to correct the flaws[1].

I've been trying to think of the name of this place for ages but for the life of me I can't remember what it is :mad:
You've got me thinking now. It had a yellow sign, I remember that much. Had a much better range of Electron games than Estuary.

Was Test Match cricket the game where the only decisions you had to make were whether to run or not? The cricket game my brother and I had basically consisted of an overhead view of the cricket pitch, stick men players,and the ball and shot were played automatically and you would press either y or n depending on where the shot went.....

Sounds the same - many an hour spent on that game.

The Electron had Elite and that was enough for me. It was a slightly abridged version though, no Thargoids.

Harmless
Mostly Harmless
Poor
Average
Above Average
Competent
Dangerous
Deadly
Elite

I made it as far as deadly but was never elite.

Same here, deadly was my max. With absolutely no way of knowing how long you needed to play to get to Elite you kind of got the impression you'd never get there.

Correct. You know whats coming now dont you? I've got to spread it around first though! :)

I only still use the N64.
A man after my own heart - Sony may have cornered the gaming market these days but they'll never match Nintendo in their heyday for playability and sheer FUN. I can't be arsed to keep up with it all now but I also can't bring myself to get rid of my NES, SuperNES or N64. Anyone for a 10 hour Super Metroid marathon?

So many kindred spirits!

ZX Spectrum games remember: Atic Atak, Sabre Wulf, Head Over Heels: Ground breaking games with 3d.

I'd advise anyone who loves their N64 to get a WII, you can download the old N64 games and play them (though look dated now!)

That yellow shop in the Vic Circus precinct, I'm pretty sure it was called Software+

Back