• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Happy St George's Day 2011

Indeed, a day to stand up and be proud to be English - I thought the guest ale in the Shrimpers yesterday, Lancaster Bomber, was perfect to celebrate with a day early! Heaps of ironing to do today and then a BBQ at friends this evening with many aptly named cocktails planned!

Just been told that it's not St George's day technically... It's been moved to 2nd May due to it being Easter Saturday today! Good excuse to celebrate twice...?

Just been told that it's not St George's day technically... It's been moved to 2nd May due to it being Easter Saturday today! Good excuse to celebrate twice...?

WTF??? How can you move a Saint's day? You can't as far as I'm concerned. Easter Saturday is NOT a holiday, it is the one day of the 4 that mean nothing therefore it is a perfect day for St George's Day to be on! :soapbox:

Technically it's the Saints feast day celebration... You can't celebrate a feast day on Easter Saturday because you don't have mass. Admittedly it is more of a religious thing, but then we are celebrating our patron Saint which was originally a religious thing.

Obviously for what I saw in Tesco's people are celebrating by drinking copious amounts of German beer and Irish cider. God save the Queen.

Technically it's the Saints feast day celebration... You can't celebrate a feast day on Easter Saturday because you don't have mass. Admittedly it is more of a religious thing, but then we are celebrating our patron Saint which was originally a religious thing.

Yes but it is still a saints day on all the calendars including a French one I have which lists all and sundry saints days

I'll be celebrating by shaving my head and gaining 5 stone.

For one reason or another, slightly more low-key than previous years, but still managed a little pub crawl from Ickenham down towards Camden.

Why are we still so ashamed to celebrate our Patron Saint ??

I'm not ashamed.

I just think it's pretty pathetic that those that do want to celebrate can't come up with something better than the Guinness sponsored St. Patricks day and seem content to hide behind anecdotal evidence of local councils clamping down on patriots to avoid any upset to ethnic minorities etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are we still so ashamed to celebrate our Patron Saint ??

I'm not; I spent last year's SGD walking around London dressed like one of the soldiers from Zulu*. A quiet one this year as it's not so much fun when everyone is off work - back to form next year!

*I realise they were Welsh Guards so many would have been taffs; but still.

Had few drinks out on Saturday. Few people with us were wearing England football shirts and when we were walking down Rayleigh high street, somebody stopped us to ask who England were playing! When we told them it was St Georges day, they seemed to have no idea what it was! :stunned:

Back