• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Harry Cardwell signs

I would guess with Murphy being injured that the new lad will start tomorrow night?

Can't wait to see the new RB whip in a beauty of a cross straight onto this lads head.

Also, given he is a 6ft3 target man, I would like to think we will now play into Dalby's feet which he is much more comfortable with. Wouldn't be surprised to see an improved Dalby second half of the season. (Not that the first half has been bad from him..)

Love this. Looks a great signing.

We now have 4 good options up front and Rush to supplement. Two good target men in Dalby and Cardwell, a natural goal scorer in Murphy and some pace in Dennis.

Squad is really starting to take shape. Massive hats off to Maher and co. Now let’s get Husin in the bag ?

Boy does it look good to see our manager, King Kev, next to a big striker signing.

This feels like a dream. Whisper it quietly, but have we turned a corner?

Large

Love this. Looks a great signing.

We now have 4 good options up front and Rush to supplement. Two good target men in Dalby and Cardwell, a natural goal scorer in Murphy and some pace in Dennis.

Squad is really starting to take shape. Massive hats off to Maher and co. Now let’s get Husin in the bag ?
This is a great signing IMO. Nothing against Murphy but I would never class him as a natural goal scorer.

What sort of forward is he? Does he replace Murphy, Dalby, or Dennis? Noting Murphy is out injured for a while
He is an old school No 9 , so leading the line, bringing others into play i hope. Would be nice to have a striker where the ball sticks up top allowing others to help out.

.....and SVC was watching Chorley back in November.
Some people have been moaning about lack of signings, questioning Stan's role etc. but how much better does it feel making considered, serious signings like this? Yes, you have to be patient but these are players that we have identified, watched, thought about how they make the team better. So much progress from the last minute signing of Jacob Mellis this time last year for example.

Kevin Maher believes the arrival of Harry Cardwell is a significant signing and one that will be a great fit for both club and player.

The 25-year-old 6ft 3in striker has penned a long-term deal at Blues, who beat off competition from other sides to secure his signature.

And Maher is excited to get the chance to work with Cardwell and is confident he will do well.

"He’s someone straight away that we earmarked and kept an eye on and I think it shows where we’re going as a club and what we’re trying to achieve,” said Maher.

"An important one to show that we’re ready to compete at this level in the league and I think he will do ever so well for us.

"He’s a great age, got loads of room for improvement but he’s also ready to play now.

"We’ve done our due diligence on players and we’re going to be doing that as we go along.

"When the deal was made possible to do, we were delighted.

"For the club to back us, the Chairman, Tom [Lawrence] and everyone connected with the football side, I think it’s great.

"He’s going to be good for the club and we’re going to be good for him.

"Coming in he’s going to be hungry. He wants to play for the club and has seen what we’re trying to do.

"He’s a proper centre forward. They’re a bit of a dying breed now but he will get hold of the ball, he scores different types of goals, he’ll be good for the team and will bring more out of everyone else as well.

"He’s here to improve us and we will improve him as well so that’s important."

This is a great signing IMO. Nothing against Murphy but I would never class him as a natural goal scorer.
I would class Murphy primarily as a significant pain in the posterior area for anyone he plays against, which allows space for his teammates to flourish. I love it.

Surprised with this one, Bexley Blue mentioned "Ross County reportedly bid £100k for him this month, that we would appear to have beaten off Chesterfield's competition for his signature" so if we've spent 6 figures on a striker I guess it really does show the work Tom has been doing behind the scenes with business plans and budgets for next year to be confident we can pull that off.

Very unlikely to be all up front I would imagine, but quite the fee for a club like us.

EDIT: The £100k bid was last Jan after their FA Cup run to the 4th round. If it's true he was out of contract this summer it's possible we might have got him for less than that.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-ross-county-submit-6-figure-bid-for-harry-cardwell/
Yep that's my bad, it was last January. So the money we've paid will likely be less than half of that, considering he wanted to leave and would have been out of contract in the summer. Still a significant fee for us though I would imagine, and will have been driven up by the competition and other offers for him this month.

WOW...
When was the last time we paid out serious money on a player, starting to believe we are finally turning this club around and going in the right direction now...Happy days....

Back