• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Harry Redknapp

‘I wouldn’t trust the FA to show me a good manager if their lives depended on it. How would they know? What clubs have they ever run? Who do they speak to who really knows the game?

I guess he overlooked Trevor Brooking (you know him, the better and more successful player than Redknapp) when making that comment.

Why would he be preparing to be England manager when he was never offered the job?

Everyone said I was the people’s choice, the only choice

No, the MEDIA wanted you because you cosy up to them and give them a "fun" transfer deadline day.

Only read a few bits in the Mail , but don't think this book is going to do much for his popularity.........

The bloke really is an idiot. This is exactly why they didn't pick him because of his media attention. They don't want a repeat of Hoddle. Not saying that he is going to blast the disabled in the press but he would no doubt say something wrong.

I actually think the bloke has been quite fortunate in a lot of his jobs.
Always seems to have money to spend.
Never his fault if it goes wrong , but loves the glory.
Chancer.

There was always a trend when he left his clubs.

Left West Ham - they went into financial trouble
Left Southampton - they went into financial trouble
Left Portsmouth - they went into financial trouble

His dog seems to be financially well off though :winking:

Thats like blaming Tilson for us being in financial trouble.

The manager spends what budget he is given, if the clubs authorise the purchases its their responsibility.

Id still rather have Harry in then Roy. Roy is, well just meh.

Thats like blaming Tilson for us being in financial trouble.

The manager spends what budget he is given, if the clubs authorise the purchases its their responsibility.

Id still rather have Harry in then Roy. Roy is, well just meh.

Only happened for Tilson at 1 club. It happened with Harry 3 in a row.

Only happened for Tilson at 1 club. It happened with Harry 3 in a row.

Lincoln got relegated when Tilson left. Canvey are still skint. He was in the directors box last week, we are under an embargo

Co-incidence ? :smile:

Same point applies, if the board(s) give him money to spend he will spend it. Cant blame Redknapp for the poor actions of the board and its not the managers job to dictate financial strategy.

Pretty sure he wouldnt have had the same issue with England :smile:

Does he Tilson have an off shore bank account in his dogs name?

I've never been a fan of Redknapp think he is massively over rated. He was lucky at West Ham because they had that class youth team with the likes of Joe Cole, Jermaine Defoe, Frank Lampard, Michael Carrick and Rio Ferdinand. But when they started to leave he just proved that they were the ones winning it for him. And as for Pompey and Tottenham I think if most managers had those budgets they would do well. Compare that to what Hodgson has achieved with a much smaller budget. He took Fulham (yes they had Al Fayad but never the budget Harry had at Tottenham) to the UEFA cup final. He did wonders with WBA and he has experience from working overseas too.

I'd rather have Brendan Rodgers than Harry Redknapp.

Hodgson has done ok at club level, but as a manager to go in and inspire the cream of our crop to play well in games every couple of months I just dont get it. Listening to him talk after games is just cringe worthy.

If he wins the World Cup I might give him the benefit of the doubt.

Hodgson's international career is pretty decent. Apart from the Liverpool appointment, his achievements over the last several years in England is much better than just "ok".

Taking Fulham from relegation candidates to comfortable mid-table team and then into a Europa Cup final. Did a similar thing with West Brom, who were a massive yo-yo team and they have become a stable Premiership team.

As for big teams, Hodgson took over at Inter Milan and guided them from being bottom to 7th place then the next season took them to 3rd place. Also took them to a UEFA Cup final, but they lost on penalties in the final.

Hodgson's international career is pretty decent. Apart from the Liverpool appointment, his achievements over the last several years in England is much better than just "ok".

Taking Fulham from relegation candidates to comfortable mid-table team and then into a Europa Cup final. Did a similar thing with West Brom, who were a massive yo-yo team and they have become a stable Premiership team.

As for big teams, Hodgson took over at Inter Milan and guided them from being bottom to 7th place then the next season took them to 3rd place. Also took them to a UEFA Cup final, but they lost on penalties in the final.

Indeed. We've only lost 1 in 20 England matches with Woy. (however, we've drawn 8)

His win% is 58% (comparable to Ramsey and Hoddle (61%), and greater than Winterbottom, McClaren, Keegan, Venables, Taylor and Robson).

Indeed. We've only lost 1 in 20 England matches with Woy. (however, we've drawn 8)

His win% is 58% (comparable to Ramsey and Hoddle (61%), and greater than Winterbottom, McClaren, Keegan, Venables, Taylor and Robson).

Did very well for Switzerland too. Qualified for the 1994 World Cup, first time they had done that since 1966, and got out the group stage too. Got they to qualify top of their group for Euro 1996, which they had never done before, although didn't manage them at the actual tournament.

So basically he has none 'meh'.

Midtable in the premiership is ok but Tony Pulis turned Stoke into a stable Premiership side, wouldnt want him as England manager either.

As for the UEFA cup that was a great achievement for Fulham, but not exactly worthy of an open top parade.

Ill leave it to Roy to win the next two games and then perform well next Summer and maybe he will win me over.

I think he as shrewd as ****. IMO he's looked at our limited strength and decided the way forward is making ourselves difficult to beat; first and foremost.

It reminds me of the England cricket team when Hussain and Fletcher took over, in that they took an poor/average side and made teams earn it if they beat us. He obviously won't win anything, much the same as Hussain (barring that tour of Pakistan) but I bet he leaves English football in a much healthier state than he found it. I hope he keeps the job until the Euro Championships regardless of the World Cup performance.

Redknapp would've been a disaster IMO.

I think he as shrewd as ****. IMO he's looked at our limited strength and decided the way forward is making ourselves difficult to beat; first and foremost.

It reminds me of the England cricket team when Hussain and Fletcher took over, in that they took an poor/average side and made teams earn it if they beat us. He obviously won't win anything, much the same as Hussain (barring that tour of Pakistan) but I bet he leaves English football in a much healthier state than he found it. I hope he keeps the job until the Euro Championships regardless of the World Cup performance.

Redknapp would've been a disaster IMO.

Think he would have done that if we had Ronaldo and Messi in the team though.

He is indeed very restricted in who he can play which is why Id prefer someone able to inspire players and galvanise the team. I think Harry would have done better in that regard.

Still Roy must be better at it than Capello.

So basically he has none 'meh'.

Midtable in the premiership is ok but Tony Pulis turned Stoke into a stable Premiership side, wouldnt want him as England manager either.

As for the UEFA cup that was a great achievement for Fulham, but not exactly worthy of an open top parade.

Ill leave it to Roy to win the next two games and then perform well next Summer and maybe he will win me over.

So taking 2 teams who would be fighting against relegation to become stable mid-table teams is just 'meh'. How about these accomplishments?

At Hamsted, he turned them from a relegation battling side to win the championship in his first season. Also at Malmo, he won 5 consecutive league titles. As I said in another post, he took Switzerland to the World Cup for the first time in 28 years and got them past the group stage, then got them to easily qualify for the Euros. Hodgson then took over Blackburn, bottom of the league, and took them to 6th even after a poor 2nd half of the season. Then went to Copenhagen and won the Championship there for the first time in 8 years and the Danish Supercup. Managing Finland, they only missed on out qualification to the World Cup on goal difference.

So taking 2 teams who would be fighting against relegation to become stable mid-table teams is just 'meh'. How about these accomplishments?

At Hamsted, he turned them from a relegation battling side to win the championship in his first season. Also at Malmo, he won 5 consecutive league titles. As I said in another post, he took Switzerland to the World Cup for the first time in 28 years and got them past the group stage, then got them to easily qualify for the Euros. Hodgson then took over Blackburn, bottom of the league, and took them to 6th even after a poor 2nd half of the season. Then went to Copenhagen and won the Championship there for the first time in 8 years and the Danish Supercup. Managing Finland, they only missed on out qualification to the World Cup on goal difference.

This! :thumbsup:

When it comes to being used as justification for being England manager yes.

Or should we be looking at Tony Pulis for the England job?

Not saying Roy hasnt achieved anything or isnt a decent manager, but was totally underwhelmed when he got the job and have seen nothing to change that feeling so far.

Back