• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Harry Redknapp

So basically he has none 'meh'.

Midtable in the premiership is ok but Tony Pulis turned Stoke into a stable Premiership side, wouldnt want him as England manager either.

As for the UEFA cup that was a great achievement for Fulham, but not exactly worthy of an open top parade.

Ill leave it to Roy to win the next two games and then perform well next Summer and maybe he will win me over.

It would have been if they'd won.:winking:

When it comes to being used as justification for being England manager yes.

Or should we be looking at Tony Pulis for the England job?

Not saying Roy hasnt achieved anything or isnt a decent manager, but was totally underwhelmed when he got the job and have seen nothing to change that feeling so far.

So what about the likes of Steve Mclaren, Sven Goran Eriksson, Glenn Hoddle, Kevin Keegan or Graham Taylor. Are they not 'meh' too? Because out of those managers I don't think I would of had any of them over Hodgson.

Not saying Roy hasnt achieved anything or isnt a decent manager, but was totally underwhelmed when he got the job and have seen nothing to change that feeling so far.

Let's face it when Roy goes, the most likely English candidate is Big Sam.Hardly an inspiring choice.

For me, whoever took over would have been a temporary fix for them to then hand onto a younger manager. At the moment we are between generations IMO, the "golden" generation didn't live up to the hype although a bit of luck at one of the tournaments could have ended with a semi-final or even final appearance.

If it is a straight race between Hodgson and Redknapp, then I'd rather have Hodgson. Not sure what other English managers would be in contention when Roy steps down.

Sorry, but your desire to compare Pulis and Hodgson as similar in this debate completely undermines your point of view. Just look at their managerial careers.

Sorry, but your desire to compare Pulis and Hodgson as similar in this debate completely undermines your point of view. Just look at their managerial careers.

Not when one of the points is "making a struggling club safe in the premiership" is an achievement worthy of being England manager

Im not saying Pulis is as good a manager as Hodgson, but using it to help justify Roy Hodgson is pointless if the likes of Pulis have managed the same thing. Of course Hodgson has done other things, but the majority of them are hardly inspiring enough to make me think we are lucky to have him.

I dont have any huge issue with him, I just find him completely underwhelming and the only England manager I place him above in the 30 years Ive been watching is Steve Mclaren. (I dont count Peter Taylor or he would be above him too).

It was clear the next manager was going to be English, apart from the obvious 2 of Hodgson and Redknapp there leaves very little choice.

Other options could have been Pearce, Southgate, Big Sam or Pardew. None of them come close to Hodgson's managerial achievements.

Outside chance of Steve Clarke, he has got West Brom to play decent football without spending a huge amount. Although he could be a future one several years down the line.

It was clear the next manager was going to be English, apart from the obvious 2 of Hodgson and Redknapp there leaves very little choice.

Other options could have been Pearce, Southgate, Big Sam or Pardew. None of them come close to Hodgson's managerial achievements.

Outside chance of Steve Clarke, he has got West Brom to play decent football without spending a huge amount. Although he could be a future one several years down the line.
I can't see a Scot managing England. And that's more about the feelings that a Scot might have about the job rather than my feelings about a Scot managing England. Seem to remember Sir Alex saying that he would have found it difficult to have managed England v Scotland a few years ago when he was placed in the frame by the media.

Very true, there were no stand out English managers so a choice of Hodgson/Redknapp was the best we were going to get.

If people dont like Redknapp then thats their choice, but even if he was completely out of the equation Hodgson would still not inspire me.

Sadly we took what was on offer rather than being able to sign a great manager to the job. Thats not a criticism, its just a reflection on where we are with English managers, but giving it to Roy doesnt mean he is a great manager. He can by all means prove me wrong come the summer in Brazil, cant do any worse than 2010.

Think he would have done that if we had Ronaldo and Messi in the team though.

He is indeed very restricted in who he can play which is why Id prefer someone able to inspire players and galvanise the team. I think Harry would have done better in that regard.

Still Roy must be better at it than Capello.

Wow:stunned::stunned:

Do you still mourn the departure of Kevin Keegan?

Do you think Stuart Pearce should be forgiven his experience with the u21s because he can fist-pump with the best of them?

Wow:stunned::stunned:

Do you still mourn the departure of Kevin Keegan?

Do you think Stuart Pearce should be forgiven his experience with the u21s because he can fist-pump with the best of them?

I didnt say I want someone who can inspire but isnt able to manage. Pearce wouldnt inspire anyone and certainly cant manage.

The players wanted Redknapp to be the manager because they like him as a manager and would want to play for him. At this level they dont need coaching they need to be motivated and led, which in my opinion Redknapp would be far better at.

I'm glad Pubey brought up Hoddles win %. It is a shame he did talk so much blox, as he was a bloody good manager, who could have gone on to do something with the group of players he had

I'm glad Pubey brought up Hoddles win %. It is a shame he did talk so much blox, as he was a bloody good manager, who could have gone on to do something with the group of players he had

Capello is the stand out manager, with a win% of 67%. However I'd argue that he had relatively straight forward qualifying groups for WC 2010 and EURO 2012 and we completely imploded in WC 2010.

Capello is the stand out manager, with a win% of 67%. However I'd argue that he had relatively straight forward qualifying groups for WC 2010 and EURO 2012 and we completely imploded in WC 2010.

Every qualification group we have had since WC'98 has been easy...

Give Arry a go. Who needs tactics. England Managers only get a few days with these players anyway.

Bought Harrys book so will be reading that soon.

Wont buy Roy's, because he is a boring **** :smile:

Back