• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have the players lost respect for the manager?

• Total voters

GNH

Fish House Ultras⭐
After reading several threads about what may or may not be the cause of our recent run of poor results i'll throw this one out there for discussion.

PS has in the last few weeks or so been publicly very critical of the players effort/ability in his post match interviews & media releases and also made comments about players not doing as they are told. Do you think he has lost the respect of the dressing room by doing this and it would have been more appropriate to tell them a few home truths behind closed doors?

I sure know how i'd feel if my manager made his thoughts on my work team public. Could be construde as passing the buck?

For what it's worth i believe he has

I can see why people could come to that conclusion but I'm sure Luggy's shared his views in private as far as he can. It's an escalation tactic and, if the fans aren't satisfied, why should Luggy be? He's a pretty experienced manager so I'm sure he'd be able to make the right call.

The public apology from the captain could be a suggestion that the players saw his comments as fair? But for the poor performance (which we've been moaning about for a while) against a much improved Aldershot, Timlin's comments are the only real evidence of the players' feelings and they come out in Luggy's favour.

Where is the Don’t Know Option ?
Because as I like most other people do not know this should be an option.

The zone can be a very depressing place when we are on a bad run of results.

Definately need a "don't know" option.
I am never in the dressing room, do not know the current squad or Mr Sturrock.
Hmmm..reading the above ..I should not even go near this thread!!!

I may succumb though....

What's the point of having an opinion if you "don't know" :joke:

Do you believe he has or he hasn't? All that sitting on the fence will give you splinters

by the sounds of things TB used to get on well with the players (as he did with the fans), was it all the players or a selection (as it was with the fans) ?

May be there is an anti RM agenda amongst some of the players which is caused problems in the dressing room which PS has not been able to get to grips with , Some players may be a bit miffed that their Mate has left (as with the fans).

I can see why people could come to that conclusion but I'm sure Luggy's shared his views in private as far as he can. It's an escalation tactic and, if the fans aren't satisfied, why should Luggy be? He's a pretty experienced manager so I'm sure he'd be able to make the right call.

The public apology from the captain could be a suggestion that the players saw his comments as fair? But for the poor performance (which we've been moaning about for a while) against a much improved Aldershot, Timlin's comments are the only real evidence of the players' feelings and they come out in Luggy's favour.

That sounds about right...Sturrock has worked with this group for a while now (and for some individuals at other clubs as well) so they should know his style. At the end of the day he has showed faith them in in the first place so I think they are here as much for him as the club.

The problem I see is that if changes are to be made are the players who will be called upon mentally and physically ready. We have used a small core of players over a large number of games (not even using our full set of subs most games) so it is hard to integrate "fringe" players and see an uplift over a longer period i.e. not one game.

Let's hope we get back to the consistent performances we have seen from Sturrock teams (both last year and up to December)...and I mean playing to 100% of your abilities...that is all I ask.

What's the point of having an opinion if you "don't know" :joke:

Do you believe he has or he hasn't? All that sitting on the fence will give you splinters

How the hell do I know? I am not in the dressing room. They may love PS ..they may hate PS.
The danger of having an opinion on something you know sweet FA about ..is just that..you know sweet FA!

How the hell do I know? I am not in the dressing room. They may love PS ..they may hate PS.
The danger of having an opinion on something you know sweet FA about ..is just that..you know sweet FA!

Well I had gleaned from the current lack of commitment currently being shown by the players that there may well be an issue here. It would also certainly explain the recent comments by PS that the players weren't doing what they were asked to do.

I may be putting 2+2 together here and coming up with 5 but I have a horrible feeling it equals 4

We have a dilemma here...
Ron brought in Sturrock to get us promoted as his record on getting teams out of this division is good. PS himself has said he will get us out of the division but cant cant promise us it will be pretty football. Our style was effective until a couple of months ago (IMO the other teams have now worked us out and can now negate our tactics and some of our players can now see this).
We are seeing the likes of Swindon, Cheltenham, etc playing attractive passing football and hitting the top, thus shooting down the argument that the only way to get out of this division is hoofball.
Furthermore its obvious that some of the current crop of players and our style of play wont last in League 1.
IMO Ron has to stick with Sturrock now, too late to change as a new manager will need half a dozen games to settle in, too late by then, chance will be gone.
So... 1. If we do go up, will Ron wield the axe on Sturrock on the basis what worked in League2 may not work in League 1?
or... 2. If we fail to go up do we give Sturrock 'one more heave' to try again next season or does Ron sack him on the basis his plan + style hasnt workd and back to the drawing board.
For me, both 1 and 2 end with the same outcome. I now fear we are looking at 2.

I don't think Luggy has lost the dressing room. I remember this being speculated upon when we lost 2-0 at Swindon earlier in the season and he had a go at the players for an hour in training the next day. We then went on an huge unbeaten run.

The recent Rotherham performance was a disgrace but after another rocket from Luggy we followed that up with an ugly but 100 per cent committed performance at Gillingham, and then a deserved win on Saturday against a Crewe side with a very decent away record. Neither suggested to me that the players had lost faith.

By all accounts last night was atrocious but to be fair we were playing an Aldershot team who had won three on the bounce and were clearly much-improved from the side we faced on Boxing Day. Perhaps that improvement subconsciously took our players by surprise and maybe the home side should be given more credit. I'm confident we'll bounce back on Saturday.

Perhaps one issue is that our predecessor was very guarded when assessing his players' performances in post-match interviews, whereas Luggy is the direct opposite, so its perhaps understandable that some jump to conclusions like the one in this thread. I personally have faith that all is generally well; Timlin's apology suggests that to me.

I don't think he ever had it, right at the beginning of the season he was moaning publicly that the players weren't listening to him.

Add to that his appearances on SZ trying to justify himself and it all adds up to a less than professional person in my opinion.

I think we are now starting to see that TB had a major influence on the playing side, i'm not saying that's a good thing because the manager should be left to do his job but the warning signs have been there since pre season.

Let's face it he must have been desperate to come here in the first place given RM's track record.

Would anyone else have done better ? I doubt it because until we rid the club of it's cancerous spine we will continue to live on the edge regardless of who the manager is, it won't take a lot to tip us over, brace yourselves for another farcical episode in the clubs history.

I'm not the Luggy hater some of you have labelled me as I just don't rate the guy and neither do Plymouth fans after his last spell. I dislike his style of play, his ******** interviews and his lack of professionalism that has been apparent this season. The only manager who has more excuses is AVB, maybe PS is working on a project too :whistling:

I don't think he's lost the dressing room but I don't think the players agreed with the way they were set up last night. Just a hunch I got from the performance and the way they lifted for a while when Hall came on

Again a not sure option would have been helpfull. because how can anyone be sure either way. So as a guessi would say there might be quite a few players who are confused by PS tactics, and comment like they think they are footballers. I also think the players are starting to be affected by a certain ammount of disquite from the terraces. Just an opinion of course, but i have a fealing PS time here might be more limited than some think, i feel the dead hand of our glorious leader not far away.

I don't know why people are so concerned its just a bad run off form ,it's not like we have been playing well all season anyway .
I've had it all season , you lot are doing well a top of the league you must be playing well? I just laugh at them and say no we are playing crap you should see there confused faces they can't work it out .

Back