• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Haye vs Fury

Well the largest stadium in the world is the Rungnado May Day stadium, but that's in North Korea, so a massive no go.

Bah, why not?

The Rumble in the Jungle was in the Congo.

The thriller in Manila was in the Philippines.

The 2018 World Cup is to be in Qatar.

You've got to dream big and the controversy it would cause would hype it no end. You're not going to be the next Don King with such limited ambitions.

Bah, why not?

The Rumble in the Jungle was in the Congo.

The thriller in Manila was in the Philippines.

The 2018 World Cup is to be in Qatar.

You've got to dream big and the controversy it would cause would hype it no end. You're not going to be the next Don King with such limited ambitions.

Ha, you got me. Underachiever in situ; but I can change...I'll give Floyd a call, first thing Monday morning...

Looks like this isn't going to happen and Haye is going to retire. He underwent shoulder reconstructive surgery and doctors are advising him to retire.

Shame, I was quite looking forward to seeing Fury sprawled across the canvas. I can't think of many people in sport more deserving of a hiding than him.

Shame, I was quite looking forward to seeing Fury sprawled across the canvas. I can't think of many people in sport more deserving of a hiding than him.

Maybe Fury will get Haye's bout with Klitschko and get his arse handed to him then.

I'll now patiently wait for GBJ to wade in and contradict me

Only just seen this thread, but you're spot on mate :) I think you speak a lot of sense and generally agree with you in most boxing topics. However, you know I've got to disagree with the Tyson bit :thumbsup:

Manny Pacquiao is in his decline, where Mayweather is still improving with age. His performance against Canelo was one of, if not his best to date. Mayweather would comfortably outpoint Pacquiao. Not that their respective promoters would ever manage to get an agreeable (to both parties) contract on the table. Sadly, it's a fight that will never happen.

Totally 100% agree

Incidentally, and it really grates me to have to say it, as I despise the man; but Amir Khan is probably the best fight for Mayweather, in terms of a challenge anyway. Mayweather has already stated he wants to fight in the UK, so Khan despite his recent form, is the biggest name he could fight here.

Mayweather will NEVER fight in England. It's all a cunning ruse to keep the "casuals" slightly interested. Do you think Vegas would let him? Do you think HBO would let him? Him fighting over here wouldn't generate half of what would he'd get in Vegas. I'd like to see it, but there no chance whatsoever (IMO of course)

As demonstrated by Alvarez, power is not enough to trouble Mayweather, he knew this, and tried to mix troubling Mayweather with the occassional flurry of punching, with boxing on the back foot (mayweathers speciality), and simply didn't have the hand speed, or defence to trouble Mayweather. However, the one attribute Khan does have is speed, and this is probably the best form of attack when facing Mayweather. Khan's ability to get in, release a combination of punches and get out quickly has the potential to trouble Mayweather, where stronger, and arguably more talented boxers than Khan would struggle. Of course, there is the major flaw in his chin, and his arrogance in his belief he has the ability to stand and trade (cruelly exposed by Danny Garcia). Sadly, as it really does pain me to say it, Khan probably has a better chance than most against The Money, providing of course, he gets past the only fighter more annoying than Khan in the Welterweight division, Devon Alexander in December.

Power has never been enough. Didn't work for Gatti, ODLH, Hatton, Cotto, Ortiz, JMM. Floyd's just too good.

Khan gets stopped. No doubt. He has absolutely zero discipline. First, His speed will count for nothing against an opponent he won't be able to hit. Second, he doesn't have KO power at light welterweight, never mind Welterweight (which he's never even fought at before) those 2 things, tied in with a proven record of ditching a disciplined gameplay, against an incredibly slick, fast counter puncher like Floyd, then there's only one outcome.

There's only one man around who could possibly trouble Mayweather at this current time, and that's GGG. Of course the weight issue could be a stumbling block, but if they could negotiate it for Canelo, why not for Golovkin? THAT is the next super fight. Whether it happens or not, is another matter.

Now the important bit.

Wes, Wes Wes. :facepalm:

Going back to Fury Haye, it genuinely surprises me that people believe Fury will 'smash' Haye. Sure he has a punchers chance, it's the heavyweight division after all - although, having watched Fury's career progress, he's never really been a big hitter, odd for someone of his size.

Fury has a KO percentage of 71%. That's not a bad return at all.

Fury has no fighter's of note on his CV, he laboured past Chisora, got up from the canvas against Cunningham, and has a CV full of fighters in the twilight of their careers, Martin Rogan, a Prizefighter loser (against Fraudly Harrison) an example; all cherrypicked to boost his win-and-0 record.

Fury has no worse a record than Haye at HW. Haye's been in with ONE decent HW.. Wlad. The rest are Monte Barrett, a 39-year-old John Ruiz, Fraudley Harrison, Chisora (who'd lost 3 on the bounce at that point) & Valuev (who despite being a Champion, is simply a freak sideshow act)

He got up off the floor against Cunningham & went on to spark him clean out & remain undefeated. Unlike Haye who's been defeated twice. That "undefeated confidence" is worth so much in boxing.

Haye, has fought the best at Cruiserweight and Heavyweight, travelling away from his home comforts to do so. He has blistering speed for this level, and is a feared banger in the division.

Cruiserweight I agree. But as the list above says, his HW resume is rather naff, and hid reign as HW champ, has to go down in one of the worst in HW history. Also, Fury has fought in England, N Ireland. Canada & America. Hayes speed & explosiveness are very very good, I agree, but it's a shame he never got to test those out when it mattered. Having those tools against the likes of Fraudley is one thing. But he couldn't even begin to use them against Wlad. It's the equivalent of me playing a 1-on-1 game of football with a 3 year old, and claiming I'm incredible when I win. But up against pro's, I get battered. Then I blame my bad toe:hilarious:

Fury, knows he is likely to lose his, 0, which is why he stalled on the fight initially, but the realisation that Haye is the biggest payday in the heavyweight division at present, and being young enough to rebuild his career after a bank boosting loss, decided it was worth the risk. It's also why he has, after his initial and rather predictable public childish strop, again backtracked and said they want the fight still. It will still happen, there's too much money for it not too, and Haye will win, and it will be by KO

This part I tend to agree with. Slightly.

Tyson would have won though IMO :thumbsup:

Errrr, for what exactly? He's hardly caused carnage like Mike Tyson. He hasn't been a cheat like Margarito. He hasnt been disrespectful like Chisora. He hasn't even rattled cages, like Haye has done. All I see is a grafter, who's trying to make as much money from a very short career, as possible.

Looks like this isn't going to happen and Haye is going to retire. He underwent shoulder reconstructive surgery and doctors are advising him to retire.

He was OK to go road bowling the week before though.

What gets me, is he'd have known he needed surgery, so why leave it til now? Why sign for the fight in the first place?

This is a rumour I've heard. ALLEGEDLY, Haye's shoulder was in bits, in the build up to the first scheduled date. Him & Booth knew this would be career suicide, to go ahead With the fight. So he was cut. Just enough so they could postpone ANY fight, and hopefully give Hayes arm a better chance to heal. It got to this stage, where there was no chance of it, so admitted defeat and had surgery.

That is a rumour I've heard. I'm not saying I believe it. I'm not saying I don't.

Cruiserweight I agree. But as the list above says, his HW resume is rather naff, and hid reign as HW champ, has to go down in one of the worst in HW history.

Oh come on, he's no Herbie Hyde, Corrie Sanders, Samuel Peters, Shannon Briggs etc

There have been plenty of nobodies who have held heavyweight titles in recent years. Haye probably wasn't a heavyweight, but at least he had pedigree at cruiserweight and managed to defend his title a couple of times. You can't just completely ignore his record down a weight when assessing him. Besides, it's virtually impossible to get any pedigree at HW level as there's virtually no-one worth fighting.

And whilst Fury had a puncher's chance agaisnt him, Fury would have been seriously outclassed.

Oh come on, he's no Herbie Hyde, Corrie Sanders, Samuel Peters, Shannon Briggs etc

There have been plenty of nobodies who have held heavyweight titles in recent years. Haye probably wasn't a heavyweight, but at least he had pedigree at cruiserweight and managed to defend his title a couple of times. You can't just completely ignore his record down a weight when assessing him. Besides, it's virtually impossible to get any pedigree at HW level as there's virtually no-one worth fighting.

And whilst Fury had a puncher's chance agaisnt him, Fury would have been seriously outclassed.

Corrie Sanders KO'd Wlad in 2 rounds. Herbie defended his HW titles against Riddick Bowe & Vitali K in their primes. What's on Hayes glittering HW champion's resume... First defence, beating a 39-year old John Ruiz, who hadn't been involved in a big fight since 5 years previous. Second defence, Fraudley Harrison, who threw 3 jabs. That fight was such a mismatch, that it should not have even been a "keep busy" fight, let alone a WorldnTitle Fight.

Ive never dismissed Hayes CW record? I was there in the O2 Arena in 2008, when he destroyed Enzo Mac in 2 rounds and cleaned up the division. I was a Haye fan. But There's a massive difference between CW & HW, that so few are able to make the jump and be successful. Haye was not one of them IMO.

You say there's no-one worth fighting, but what about Pulev, Povetkin, Wilder, Mormeck rematch, Stiverne, Adamek, Arreola. Some of those would/could have been Cracking match-ups for Haye.

I don't get this idea Fury only had a punchers chance? Just tell me why Haye would have outclassed him? Hayes record at Heavy, is no better than Furys. His opponents (bar Wlad) no better. Fury had better odds of winning than Douglas beating Tyson; SRL beating Hagler; Spinks beating Ali; Brewster beating Wlad, Rahman beating Lewis; Randall beating JCC; James Toney beating Nunn & the most recent of times, Groves beating DeGale & SUFC beating Man Utd. Upsets happen. Underdogs win. Haye has never coped well with big awkward fighters. He likes to be the bully in the ring, stalking his opponent. When hes pushed onto the backfoot, He struggles. Fury would have leaned all over him, pushed him around, sapped his energy. Don't forget, this would have only been Hayes second fight in 2 years. Ringrust? Fury was on a roll, and that confidence, as I said earlier, is so important in any sport. Fury's arse has been on the canvas, but he's got back up to win by brutal KO both times.

I said Tyson from day 1 & now unfortunately we'll never know.

Back