• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Help needed

BILLERICAY BLUE

Rose Tinted Brigade Member⭐⭐
Guys,

Any techno whizzes out there who may be able to help me.

My laptop blew up last month containing all the music held on I-tunes, now normally this wouldn't be a problem as I can just back it up from my i-pod to my new laptop. Unfortunately, about a week ago and before I got my new laptop, my i-pod gave up the ghost as well. I have tried connecting the i-pod to i-tunes on the new laptop, but it's not recognising it.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks
Paul

What do you mean by blew up? The old laptop's hard drive info may yet be recoverable. Even after reformating and re-installation of windows you can still recover the majority of info with a data recovery wizard. So if you mean it's no longer bootable there may be hope in the old thing yet, If you mean it litteraly exploded accross the room lodging peices of shrapnel in the woodwork it may be a little harder.

fixitkid said:
What do you mean by blew up? The old laptop's hard drive info may yet be recoverable. Even after reformating and re-installation of windows you can still recover the majority of info with a data recovery wizard. So if you mean it's no longer bootable there may be hope in the old thing yet, If you mean it litteraly exploded accross the room lodging peices of shrapnel in the woodwork it may be a little harder.
No it didn't actuially explode, maybe I should have made that a bit clearer :)

Nope it's just died. Can switch on, but can't log-on, can't reboot, tried to re-install etc no luck.

No it didn't actuially explode, maybe I should have made that a bit clearer :)

Nope it's just died. Can switch on, but can't log-on, can't reboot, tried to re-install etc no luck.

Did you reformat the hard drive as well or just reinstall? if you just reinstalled could be that part of the boot sector or the windows path has become corrupted, and a low level format is needed to wipe the slate clean, at which point the data recovery tool comes into play.

Also does it bring up an error message at the point log-in fails or does it just restart or what?

As far as the iPod is concerned, my other half had a similar issue and had to restore it to factory standard in iTunes which removed all of the data off of it. So I would avoid that for now.

fixitkid said:
Did you reformat the hard drive as well or just reinstall? if you just reinstalled could be that part of the boot sector or the windows path has become corrupted, and a low level format is needed to wipe the slate clean, at which point the data recovery tool comes into play.

Also does it bring up an error message at the point log-in fails or does it just restart or what?

As far as the iPod is concerned, my other half had a similar issue and had to restore it to factory standard in iTunes which removed all of the data off of it. So I would avoid that for now.
I took it to a computer shop in Billericay, and he said it was totally dead. I didn't try to reformat the Hard Drive

hmmmmmmm, If it's booting all the way to the point of log on it doesn't sound dead to me. I would delete the partition, reformat the whole drive to a single NTFS partition (it tells you how to do this when you stick the installation CD in the drive) reinstall windows, then try running a data recovery programme (easeus data recovery wizard worked well for me). Alternativley you may be able to hook it up to an eternal port on your new laptop and transfer the stuff across, check the connector on the hard drive and see what's available.

If you're happy to take items into stores and pay someone to recover the info then you could roll on into your local apple store with your iPod.

Extract the hard drive from the dead laptop and bung it into an exteral case (available on ebay for a few quid). Make sure it's the right connector for the hard drive, though. Some of the cases sold have both ide and SATA connectors so you can connect either sort. Then you can connect it via USB to your new laptop and suck out the stuff you need.

Also, if you get in touch with Apple, they will usually let you download again stuff you have bought from them (if any).

fixitkid said:
hmmmmmmm, If it's booting all the way to the point of log on it doesn't sound dead to me. I would delete the partition, reformat the whole drive to a single NTFS partition (it tells you how to do this when you stick the installation CD in the drive) reinstall windows, then try running a data recovery programme (easeus data recovery wizard worked well for me). Alternativley you may be able to hook it up to an eternal port on your new laptop and transfer the stuff across, check the connector on the hard drive and see what's available.

If you're happy to take items into stores and pay someone to recover the info then you could roll on into your local apple store with your iPod.
Sorry I've probably given duff info. It's not booting to log-in, it gets past the black Windows XP screen, then crashes and brings up a non-system disk error.

A Century United said:
Extract the hard drive from the dead laptop and bung it into an exteral case (available on ebay for a few quid). Make sure it's the right connector for the hard drive, though. Some of the cases sold have both ide and SATA connectors so you can connect either sort. Then you can connect it via USB to your new laptop and suck out the stuff you need.
Ha, that's way out of my league :

Also, if you get in touch with Apple, they will usually let you download again stuff you have bought from them (if any).
I'm on the case of that. Unfortunately, I had about 4000 tracks on i-tunes and had probably only purchased about 250 of them...

Sorry I've probably given duff info. It's not booting to log-in, it gets past the black Windows XP screen, then crashes and brings up a non-system disk error.

That's a corrupted boot sector my friend. As I said a low level format and data recovery tool.

I took it to a computer shop in Billericay, and he said it was totally dead. I didn't try to reformat the Hard Drive

Which Computer shop would that be? And did they sell you your new laptop....?

Last edited:
Billericay Computers, and no I got the new lap-top from Dell.

From the info above, does it appear to be an easy problem to solve? If so, is there anyone here willing to take on the job (as I'm rubbish at anything technical), obviously I'd be prepared to pay...

Billericay Computers, and no I got the new lap-top from Dell.

From the info above, does it appear to be an easy problem to solve? If so, is there anyone here willing to take on the job (as I'm rubbish at anything technical), obviously I'd be prepared to pay...

I live in north west london mate not exactly conveinient. Also, Life is a bit up in the air at the mo so won't have time to sit by a computer for 2 nights or so. If you message me your e-mail I would try to guide you through if you're feeling adventurous.

Back