• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Help Required

Ron Manager

I was very lucky to receive a Camcorder for Christmas, in readiness to be a sickening new Dad who records everything the baby does when it's born!

What I want to do is transfer what I shoot onto DVD, using my PC to edit, create menus, add titles and music etc. The Camcorder is a Sony Handycam using Mini DV tapes and has a USB connection to the PC. Any tips on software I should get or hardware I should upgrade to?

Adobe Premiere to edit with it's **** easy.

Has the Hanycam not got a firewire port on it? Much quicker to transfer (but then you'll also need a firewire card in your PC).

You'll also need a DVD re-writer which I guess you have ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Dec. 29 2004,09:05)]Adobe Premiere to edit with it's **** easy.

Has the Hanycam not got a firewire port on it? Much quicker to transfer (but then you'll also need a firewire card in your PC).

You'll also need a DVD re-writer which I guess you have ?
Am getting the DVD writer very soon. No firewall, no, however I have been doing a bit of surfing around and maybe a video capture card for the PC would be a good option?

Does Adobe Premiere let me add all the DVD menus and music etc?

Cheers for your help mate.

Ron, I had the same problems when I was head of filming for "Thrust Productions" ,that well-known adult film company.
The real trouble was operating the camera with one very shaky hand.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Dec. 29 2004,09:19)]Ron, I had the same problems when I was head of filming for "Thrust Productions" ,that well-known adult film company.
The real trouble was operating the camera with one very shaky hand.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Dec. 29 2004,09:19)]The real trouble was operating the camera with one very shaky hand.
That's what you get for having Skoda Man as a cameraman!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Dec. 29 2004,09:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Dec. 29 2004,09:19)]The real trouble was operating the camera with one very shaky hand.
That's what you get for having Skoda Man as a cameraman!

tounge.gif
Harsh ,--------------- but fair.

Ron - Dave said you needed a firewire card not a firewall. Firewire is what most Camcorders come with so you will need one of these cards, I use Pinnacle Studio 9 a good package, from my limited knowledge of such things. Unfortunately i hope you are better than me,as i also brought a camera for when my daughter was born and i have really hardly used the thing.
sad.gif
I am sure one day i am really going to regret it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Dec. 29 2004,09:49)]Ron - Dave said you needed a firewire card not a firewall. Firewire is what most Camcorders come with so you will need one of these cards, I use Pinnacle Studio 9 a good package, from my limited knowledge of such things. Unfortunately i hope you are better than me,as i also brought a camera for when my daughter was born and  i have really hardly used the thing.
sad.gif
 I am sure one day i am really going to regret it.
Ah I see, showing up my limited PC knowledge there!

There are a few HDD based Digital Camcorders but the prices I have seen for such things are around the £15,000 price tag. So I doubt they will be for public consumption just yet.

Cheers for the help guys, I bought a Fire Wire card from PC World and it works just fine (with the added benefit of an extra fast connection to my iPod, I was relying on USB 1.0 before). Have burnt my first disc, a Video CD (will upgrade to a DVD burner soon) of 'Christmas 2004' and can feel a career as the new Steven Spielberg coming on.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Dec. 29 2004,09:05)]Adobe Premiere to edit with it's **** easy.
Cheers Dave - I have, ahem, obtained a copy of said software. Very flash and you're right, piece of **** to use.

Back