• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Help The Trust End Polio Now !!!

Shrimperstrust

Supporting SUFC
Southend United, Insure and Go, and The Rotary Club of Southend on Sea have joined forces in the fight to help all children in the world and end polio for good.

And the Shrimpers Trust is joining this battle as no child is safe while polio exists. Polio is a crippling, and sometimes fatal, disease and still a very harrowing reality for children in parts of Africa and Asia and threatens children everywhere. It is highly virulent and only an air flight away from the UK.

Full details including how to purchase the 'Rotary - End Polio Now - SUFC' Wristbands can be found on the Trust Website by clicking here.

endpolionow138.gif
wristband138.gif

Last edited:
so how exactly do the shirts and bands end polio?

The Rotary Clubs around the world are trying to raise $250,000 by various fundraising schemes. Among the schemes Southend Rotary are running is the selling of Wristbands & a deal with SUFC.

If they raise the money Bill Gates will donate a further $350,000.

So in answer to your question the Money raised from the Selling of the Wristbands and from the Matchday at SUFC will help end Polio.

I can vouch for this and Bill Gates involvement as I made a website for a Rotary Club I know, selling the 'official' song of this campaign.

Best of luck with your efforts!

I just like to have an idea of where the money is actually going and what it'll do. I know quite a bit about the Polio Eradication Initiative having gone out to Geneva to the WHO for a meeting about it. My understanding is that the issues of why polio remains in Nigeria, India and surrounding areas is more complex than just requiring money for vaccines, and require defined strategies for conflict-affected areas, political engagement and social mobilisation. Other than publicity, I'm not sure what the work of the Rotary and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will look to achieve.

I don't think swanning it up at gigs abroad is much help tbh Pubey !!!!!!!

lol!

by the way, I don't want to sound like a grump, I fully support efforts to eradicate vaccine-preventable conditions such as polio. A bit of digging on the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation website reveals some of the initiatives they are looking to develop. Hopefully the money gets used wisely to make a significant impact on improving access to and uptake of polio vaccination.

The Rotary Clubs around the world are trying to raise $250,000 by various fundraising schemes. Among the schemes Southend Rotary are running is the selling of Wristbands & a deal with SUFC.

If they raise the money Bill Gates will donate a further $350,000.

So in answer to your question the Money raised from the Selling of the Wristbands and from the Matchday at SUFC will help end Polio.

To clarify, that should be Rotary are challenged to raise $200 million worldwide by 30/6/2012 and the Bill Gates Foundation will give another $355 million to the Polio Eradication Campaign.

Would it not be better trying to raise money for the club than worrying about fixing the worlds ills?

Dont mean to be calous but surely the trust is there to raise money for the club and various world charities can worry about Polio?

Would it not be better trying to raise money for the club than worrying about fixing the worlds ills?

Dont mean to be calous but surely the trust is there to raise money for the club and various world charities can worry about Polio?

Dave, this is a HIGH PROFILE initiative and as such, the club's involvement including attracting kids in on 8th Jan will give us valuable income and publicity.

The resurgence of polio is only a flight to the UK away so all children are at risk while it remains. The Trust supports the club but also helps charities including Little Havens and others less fortunate than ourselves. I'm sure you don't mean to be callous.

The Trust 'Donated' nearly £20,000 to the Club last Season (see breakdown by clicking here) and is probably going to equal that this season.

However we do also donate to both local and national charities.

This is a worthwile cause which has been fully endorsed by the Club so why not help raise awareness and money for this cause.

It does not detract from any of the donations we give to the club.

Have the Trust become distracted from their tirade against Polio, or has it infact been eradicated in the general Southend, Rochford, Rayleigh, Shoebury and Wakering areas?

polio isnt in this country any more isit? also maybe we should do charaites events for the club and not rare african diseases

Wow, I never knew purple uniforms and gurning faces could eradicate polio! Where's that money going again?

Back