• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oops, you're quite right. I was away for that one so it slipped my mind. It would have been for the first time in weeks.

Putting aside the inconsistent performances of Martin that's a complete change in shape to the midfield. I think we're going to get overrun in the middle of the park if we go in with 49 year old Christian Dailly playing his second game in four days/9 months playing alongside Timlin who flits in and out of the game. You are conceding the midfield, and with it the initiative.

Part of the reason that midfield worked against Hereford was because it was balanced: Dailly's lack of mobility was hidden by the work-rate of Ferdinand and the third man in the middle with Timlin so that if Timlin gambled on trying an interception and it didn't work we still had two men in the middle and weren't wide open. Now that's not the only way to balance a midfield, but balancing it needs to at least be a consideration.

Good points & I agree that that selection worked, but we are the home side tomorrow & Aldershot are not a great team. Someone analysed their form in another thread & it puts that run into perspective a bit.

Some of the best football Ive seen this season was played by Swindon when they got in our faces from the off. Thats what we should do tomorrow using Hall & Martin out wide.

Someone else said we need to give a team a spanking at RH to really get the confidence up, I personally think Aldershot are there to be spanked if we go out with an attacking mindset / line up..:smile:

Good points & I agree that that selection worked, but we are the home side tomorrow & Aldershot are not a great team. Someone analysed their form in another thread & it puts that run into perspective a bit.

Some of the best football Ive seen this season was played by Swindon when they got in our faces from the off. Thats what we should do tomorrow using Hall & Martin out wide.

Someone else said we need to give a team a spanking at RH to really get the confidence up, I personally think Aldershot are there to be spanked if we go out with an attacking mindset / line up..:smile:

Aldershot being the team 6th in the current form table against Southend who are 15th ?

A few games ago they won 6 in a row.

Not to be underestimated.

As to Swindon, if we want to emulate their performance we need to not only use their tactics but also their players :)

That's brilliant for a league 2 side... all the way to Hereford.
Well done Shrimpers!

Belford 6 - Did well, had to deal with a number of long throws and set pieces. Unfair penalty decision, looked to me he got all of the ball and was a good 'tackle'

Clohessy 6.5 - Solid performance, he really gives us an attacking threat with his early crosses. Could have done better in the lead up to the second goal they scored but other than that didn't put a foot wrong.

Phillips 7 - Played well. Dealt with everything that was thrown at him (and there was a lot of aerial balls to be won) sure he hit the bar with a header.

Barker 5 - Looked shaky. Back header was the cause of the penalty. Might be time for him to sit out a game or 2

Prosser 6 - Solid and unspectacular, defended reasonably well but his final ball going forward wasn't the best.

Dailly 6 - Could be one of the players that doesn't have to do much to have a good game but i wasn't overly impressed. Protected the back 4 OK but thought he would be a bit better in the air.

Ferdinand 7 - Won the ball back for us countless time and was strong in the challenge.

Timlin 6 - Not his best game. Hit the post, but other than that didn't really pull the strings like he normally does. Misplaced passing and not great positioning. Improved in the later stages.

Hall 7 - Took his goal well and when he runs at people hes unstoppable. Always looked to get the ball into the box, good game.

Benyon 8 - MOTM Half the size of the centre backs he played against and still won everything. Most of the time not just trying to flick things on but holding onto the ball untill others came into play. Good reactions for his goal and worked tirelessly pressing up the field.

Harris 7 - Great to have his experience leading the line. Directing players as to where he wants the ball. Missed what seemed like a free header and not sure how much of the ball was over the line but he deserved a goal. With Harris and benyon both playing we are forced to keep it on the floor.

Hills 6 - Didn't really have enough time to make any sort of impact.

Probably missed someone out!

Was a good team performance, and although it was squeaky bum time towards the end we had the majority of the chances and controlled the game. Need to keep switched on for 90 minutes, they threw everything at us in the last few minutes.

Hereford were poor and we should have been more clinical. Could have easily killed the game off but instead let them back into it.

I don't see a problem with Harris playing 2 games in 3 days. Perversely the injury to Dickinson may have given the team it's best pairing up front. If that's the case then they should play as many games as possible together.

Apart from Hills for Prosser (possibly) I don't see any changes to the team for Tuesday.

I think a few of the recent injuries - Dickinson, Kalala, Morris - along with Bilel's trip to France, may have inadvertently resulted in us being a better team.
Good fortune possibly though I think it was Napoleon who said something along the lines of 'the best generals are lucky generals'.

I can't remember when we have been so comfortable away from home as in the first half. I can't recall them having a shot in the first half except the pen. It was a bad decision and the ref knew it because he didn't send Belford off or even book him (well not until late in the game for persistant time wasting). Once we went 3-1 up we should have coasted it and Timlin was unlucky when he hit the post after some great passing movements. Their second goal was actually a mis hit and he scuffed the shot and we watched it trickle very slowly into the goal just inside the post. Then it was bedlam. They threw everything at us and how we needed someone like Benjiman to take the ball down to the other end cornerflag and stick his bum out and say 'get it off me if you can'. Still we made it through for 3 very valuable points. Did laugh on my way home when 2 kids aged about 10 spotted my Southend badge and were giving me the international masterbatery hand signal and shouting explicitives at me as I drove past them. Obviously don't get enough homework in that part of the world! Thought Benyon and Harris worked liked trojans for the cause. Well done lads.

Back