• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Well, there can't be a team in the land we have a better recent record against than Hereford. Eight straight League wins, with 6 out of the last 7 (including three away matches) without conceding a goal.

The original appointee, Graham Horwood, has for the fourth time in five Southend appointments pulled out and/or been replaced.

The new official is Karl Evans from Manchester making his Roots Hall debut.

As we look for our normal "double" against Hereford, it will be a double for Mr Evans too as, unusually, he refereed the reverse fixture earlier in the season. Five yellows were shown, three to Southend players.

He is in his fourth season and has refereed Southend four times before - in addition to the win at Hereford this season, away at Bristol Rovers(L 4-2) the season before last (just one yellow there) and also away at Swindon (L 3-0) for Tilly's 300th match (three yellows for us). Then, most recently, last season at Millwall (L2-0) with three yellows apiece (Macca, Grant and Malone for us).

He is a sales rep, which is why he does so many games in the south of the country.

His statistics for the season are 23 matches, 66 yellows and 3 reds. Pretty average.

Assisting will be Warren Atkin from Crawley and the very experienced (euphemism for old) Steve Rubery from Ilford. Ashley Slaughter from Brighton will be 4th Official.

I thought he was generally inept for most of the match

fussy, broke up play (notably when Crawford was in front of goal and play brought back for our free kick)
he bottled sending Corr off for a second bookable, and the red at the end (while it was irrelevant) seemed frivolous.
He was often a way off the pace (due to his gut) and was inconsistent.

There are certainly worse out there but not many worse performances on the night in my opinion

Interested to see what Mick thought of him

Missed two elbow's on Corr too......well, corrected, he actually saw one, gave us a free kick, acted out an elbow to the offender and yet did not book him.

Inept is the word, he was poor tonight, overuled the lino a couple of times when the lino had a better view and also seemed correct.

Thats 2 fat refs in 2 home games. Is there any kind of ruling on their fitness? They just can't keep up with play - as we saw when the ref gave that penalty to Gillingham last week. It's a difficult job, so they should be giving themselves every chance to be in the best possible position

Inconsistent and generally typical of a small man wanting to make his mark in a big man's world!

Thats 2 fat refs in 2 home games. Is there any kind of ruling on their fitness? They just can't keep up with play - as we saw when the ref gave that penalty to Gillingham last week. It's a difficult job, so they should be giving themselves every chance to be in the best possible position

The fitness test is quite demanding. However fit you are you won't keep up with play all the time. Unexpected mistakes and quick breakaways often leave a referee looking well off the pace when, in fact, there's no way they can help it. Most of the new breed of referees coming through the feeder leagues are very fit but many seem to have little feel for the game. I would rather judge a referee on his decisions than his physique and athleticism.

Coming to his decisions, he wasn't great. Not awful but below average for me.

The Corr issue, I think he realised the first yellow was a little soft (the opponent wasn't remotely bothered by the challenge) and therefore exercised a bit of discretion on what was a worse challenge a little later. Made it clear that he wouldn't tolerate another foul like that. I'd say he handled that well in the end.

The "frivolous" dismissal? Having given the penalty, the sending off became mandatory and he would have been marked down for not issuing it. A poor Law in my opinion as he didn't deliberately foul. The only team to benefit from that card is Hereford's next opponents. The referee was in conversation with the ageing lino on both the penalty and red card.

You can commit a foul by leading with your arm and not warrant a caution as long as it's not dangerous; there are too many cautions in football today for nothing fouls and it devalues the yellow card for the really worthy offences.

Didn't like the way he over-ruled his Assistant, nor the couple of times he had to be advised of fouls he should have seen himself. So overall, I'd say slightly substandard.

Interestingly (or not) last week's "fat ref" didn't manage the full 90 minutes in his next game and was replaced 15 minutes from the end.

Interestingly (or not) last week's "fat ref" didn't manage the full 90 minutes in his next game and was replaced 15 minutes from the end.

I shall stop studying to be a ref immediately if a "fat ref" couldn't last the whole match, as "very fat" I have no chance. :Red card:

I shall stop studying to be a ref immediately if a "fat ref" couldn't last the whole match, as "very fat" I have no chance. :Red card:

Mcnasty - I'd pay good money to see you referee a match.:clap:

The fitness test is quite demanding. However fit you are you won't keep up with play all the time. Unexpected mistakes and quick breakaways often leave a referee looking well off the pace when, in fact, there's no way they can help it. Most of the new breed of referees coming through the feeder leagues are very fit but many seem to have little feel for the game. I would rather judge a referee on his decisions than his physique and athleticism.

I don't disagree, but I it's possible to have both. The althleticism can surely enable the ref to keep up with play more often (or at least keep them closer to play) and can help them make better decisions.

Back