• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Can anyone think of a reason for our struggles at set pieces?

GK ?? (no profile on club website, but soccerbase says 5ft 9in (1.75m) and wiki 6 ft 3 (1.91m)
RB 5ft 11in (1.8m)
LB 5ft 11in (1.8m)
CB 5ft 10in (1.78m)
CB 6ft 1in (1.85m)
CM 5ft 9in (1.75m)
CM 5ft 10in (1.78m)
RM 5ft 9in (1.76m)
LM 5ft 7in (1.7m)
CF ?? (no profile on club website but both soccerbase and wiki say 5ft 11in (1.8m))
CF 6ft 2in (1.88m)

Obviously height isn't the be all and end all, otherwise Mooney would be good in the air, but it seems to be a somewhat brave decision to enter the season with such a small team.

I'd have thought we'd have learnt our lesson on this by now.

GK ?? (no profile on club website, but soccerbase says 5ft 9in (1.75m) and wiki 6 ft 3 (1.91m)
RB 5ft 11in (1.8m)
LB 5ft 11in (1.8m)
CB 5ft 10in (1.78m)
CB 6ft 1in (1.85m)
CM 5ft 9in (1.75m)
CM 5ft 10in (1.78m)
RM 5ft 9in (1.76m)
LM 5ft 7in (1.7m)
CF ?? (no profile on club website but both soccerbase and wiki say 5ft 11in (1.8m))
CF 6ft 2in (1.88m)

Obviously height isn't the be all and end all, otherwise Mooney would be good in the air, but it seems to be a somewhat brave decision to enter the season with such a small team.

Re Oxley - transfermarkt also says 1.91m.

Got to admit, you've made a good point. Gillingham dwarfed us and they didn't even have to leap like a salmon to beat us time and again in the air.

I noticed this in the squad photo. I thought it would have seen a change in style and some more football being played on the ground.

I was wrong.

The corner we conceded from was about a foot from the ground, even Payne was tall enough to deal with that one.

RB 5ft 11in (1.8m)
LB 5ft 11in (1.8m)
CB 5ft 10in (1.78m)
CB 6ft 1in (1.85m)
CM 5ft 9in (1.75m)
CM 5ft 10in (1.78m)
RM 5ft 9in (1.76m)
LM 5ft 7in (1.7m)
CF 6ft 2in (1.88m)

Completely agree YB. We have been crying out for at least one tall dominant in the air center back since Bolger left.

It's not just set pieces either. We aren't winning high balls at the back or holding the ball up well enough upfront.

Completely agree YB. We have been crying out for at least one tall dominant in the air center back since Bolger left.

It's not just set pieces either. We aren't winning high balls at the back or holding the ball up well enough upfront.
Shame we've never had anyone since PB has been here who was good at that... :whistling:

Jakub Sokolik is 6ft 1. If we could get him back to his best they'll add some much needed height.

If we get this CB, I could quite easily see us playing three at the back eventually - the three being Thompson, Sokolik and the mystery man yet to be found.

Jakub Sokolik is 6ft 1. If we could get him back to his best they'll add some much needed height.

If we get this CB, I could quite easily see us playing three at the back eventually - the three being Thompson, Sokolik and the mystery man yet to be found.

Brown didnt make Barrett club captain to not play him.

Looked more like 6'3 ish on Saturday, dont know where Soccerbase gets 5'9" ? Unless he's related to Paul Cooper...

Paul Cooper, the record penalty saver, was just an inch under six foot. You're not confusing him with Escape to Victory star, Laurie Sivell, are you ?

Are Simpson / Ranger and the "target" CB, from Spurs ?? 6 footers ?

According to wiki, Nile is 6ft 2 and Jay is 5ft 11.

If the possible spurs CB target you are referring to is Dominic Ball, yes he just shades it, at just over 6ft.

Last edited:
Back