• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Highlights From Virgin Media

How many consecutively scored penalties are we on now? Obviously excluding the penalty shootout v D&R!

Not missed a regular penalty (i.e. not in a shootout) since Constantine's effort against Borient in 2003-04 I think, god knows how many that is though.

Here is the full 26 scored since Constantine's miss at Orient on the 21st Feb 2004:-

L.Clarke vs Crewe
Harold vs Blackpool
L.Clarke vs Doncaster
Bradbury vs Cheltenham
Eastwood vs Tottenham
Hammell vs Leeds
Eastwood vs Coventry
Eastwood vs Bournemouth
Eastwood vs Stoke
Eastwood vs Chesterfield
Gray vs Bournemouth
Gray vs Hartlepool
Goater vs Barnsley
Gray vs Rotherham
Goater vs Tranmere
Eastwood vs Northampton
Gray vs Bristol Rovers
Eastwood vs Lincoln
Gray vs Bury
Dudfield vs Oxford
Gray vs Shrewsbury
Dudfield vs Rushden
Gray vs Lincoln
Constantine vs Carlisle
Constantine vs Darlington
Constantine vs Northampton

Last edited:
I thought Bailey's cross field pass to Hunt in the build up was so Gerrard-esque its unbelievable!

On the penalty front, even though I knew he scored it, watching the highlights I had a bad feeling about it. Something about the run-up didnt seem good for some reason!

Here is the full 25 scored since Constantine's miss at Orient on the 21st Feb 2004:-

L.Clarke vs Crewe
L.Clarke vs Doncaster
Bradbury vs Cheltenham
Eastwood vs Tottenham
Hammell vs Leeds
Eastwood vs Coventry
Eastwood vs Bournemouth
Eastwood vs Stoke
Eastwood vs Chesterfield
Gray vs Bournemouth
Gray vs Hartlepool
Goater vs Barnsley
Gray vs Rotherham
Goater vs Tranmere
Eastwood vs Northampton
Gray vs Bristol Rovers
Eastwood vs Lincoln
Gray vs Bury
Dudfield vs Oxford
Gray vs Shrewsbury
Dudfield vs Rushden
Gray vs Lincoln
Constantine vs Carlisle

You're missing Harrold v Blackpool there...
Good work though!

Here is the full 25 scored since Constantine's miss at Orient on the 21st Feb 2004:-

L.Clarke vs Crewe
L.Clarke vs Doncaster
Bradbury vs Cheltenham
Eastwood vs Tottenham
Hammell vs Leeds
Eastwood vs Coventry
Eastwood vs Bournemouth
Eastwood vs Stoke
Eastwood vs Chesterfield
Gray vs Bournemouth
Gray vs Hartlepool
Goater vs Barnsley
Gray vs Rotherham
Goater vs Tranmere
Eastwood vs Northampton
Gray vs Bristol Rovers
Eastwood vs Lincoln
Gray vs Bury
Dudfield vs Oxford
Gray vs Shrewsbury
Dudfield vs Rushden
Gray vs Lincoln
Constantine vs Carlisle

Cheers for that, it's some record!
I wonder what the overall English record for a run of scored penalties is!

Here is the full 26 scored since Constantine's miss at Orient on the 21st Feb 2004 (corrected to show Harold's pen vs Blackpool).

2007/8
L.Clarke vs Crewe
Harold vs Blackpool
L.Clarke vs Doncaster
Bradbury vs Cheltenham
2006/7
Eastwood vs Tottenham
Hammell vs Leeds
Eastwood vs Coventry
Eastwood vs Bournemouth
Eastwood vs Stoke
2005/6
Eastwood vs Chesterfield
Gray vs Bournemouth
Gray vs Hartlepool
Goater vs Barnsley
Gray vs Rotherham
Goater vs Tranmere
2004/5
Eastwood vs Northampton
Gray vs Bristol Rovers
Eastwood vs Lincoln
Gray vs Bury
Dudfield vs Oxford
Gray vs Shrewsbury
Dudfield vs Rushden
Gray vs Lincoln
2003/4
Constantine vs Carlisle

Last edited:
Cheers for that, it's some record!
I wonder what the overall English record for a run of scored penalties is!

I imagine it is far in excess of this, for even Southend. As IIRC Alan Moody only ever missed his last penalty for us, subsequently vowing never to take another one. Moody must have scored well in excess of 30 pens, and hardly ever missed a game, so I doubt if anyone else took one, and missed, during this run.

EDIT:
Apparently I'm wrong - he did miss some. Ignore me, as I crawl under a rock and die.

Last edited:
Yeah. I remember watching an interview with that Czech guy who pioneered the scooped penalty into the centre of the goal - the decisive kick in the shoot-out against West Germany in the final of the 1980 European Championships (I think!). He said that he knew the goalkeeper would dive one way or the other so he'd practised the said technique which would float the ball down the middle and give the keeper no chance.

Going down the middle is probably the most successful route for penalties but it relies on striking the ball cleanly and with enough height to evade the keeper's trailing leg (assuming he dives). That's not an easy skill. I just hope Clarke does try to vary it a bit because sooner or later a keeper is going to stand straight and parry it.

I'm disappointed to see how easily Hooper was outpaced by Leon Clarke to reach Bailey's goal celebrations. Definitely off his game in that first half - 5/10.

Back